New Honda ADV/Tourer

Thread starter
I'm sure it is heavy but then it's going to be a road oriented bike, a tall touring bike. The new Africa Twin will be for those with off road intentions.
 
Looks all right.
 
UK site says 275kg (606 lbs - a bit more than the original CBX), and their CB11 deluxe is 260kg (573 lbs). Only way I'd be off road with one is if I don't make the turn.

Hmmmm, wonder what a CBX would be like with 6 high pipes and knobbies........
Might need a skid plate too.
 
Yea too heavy for off road for me, but for a street bike. It's over 111 pounds lighter than my ST (and only 36 pounds heavier than the CB). My only regret is I'm stubby legged and won't be able to ride the thing.
 
You might be surprised. The VF12 engine is narrower at the rear of the engine so it's supposed to be easier to flat foot. I like this bike a lot. It's something to think about if they get discounted at year end.
 
Thread starter
DAC_imp said:
You might be surprised. The VF12 engine is narrower at the rear of the engine so it's supposed to be easier to flat foot. I like this bike a lot. It's something to think about if they get discounted at year end.
I sat on a VFR1200 at a bike show a few years back. Even though the seat was tall I was able to get the balls of my feet firmly planted because the seat was narrow at the tank. I feel I could have ridden this bike easily despite my height impairment.

Lowering this bike by using a replacement rear link may also be a possibility.
Weight is not a problem for this bike IMO and Honda knows that those attracted to this model will have no intentions of taking it down anything other than a groomed dirt or gravel road on occasion. Most of these big ADV bikes never see any off road use but their upright riding positions, wide bars and extra ride height make for a nearly perfect touring bike.

A couple years back, Motorcycle Consumer News ran a comparison test of the latest sport-touring bikes. Kawasaki, Yamaha, BMW were represented and an R1200GS was brought along as a chase bike for hauling cameras and such. At test's end the Kawasaki was chosen as the best S/T of the test group but the BMW R1200GS was the bike all the testers preferred to ride. Even though the R1200GS was not in the comparison it was chosen as the best S/T of the group.
 
Are they popular in Germany Django?
 
Until now I've seen 2 in the wild, one is in my neighborhood, another I met at a biker meeting point. When I asked the rider, how he likes his crosstourer, first thing he started, was to explain himself, why he is not riding a R1200GS.

So I think, the crosstourer yet is not so popular here and has a difficult stand against the BMW R1200GS.
 
Sold a BMW R1200GS to buy my CB1100, good tall bike with plenty of power. Off road - no effing way on that heavy beast. Gravel roads - it loved them, 60 mph with no problems.
ADV bike craze now is where chopper inspired bikes were 7 years ago, more used bikes available for a song.
I actually made money selling my BMW ( really does stand for bust my wallet) and getting the Honda.
 
Let's hope this configuration works out better for Honda sales than the VFR1200F.
The bike no one asked for and as a consequence very few people bought them.
 
Honda has a reputation for building good motorcycles for a nonexistent market. Always trying to play catch-up. They seem to make a decent bike and support it for several years then go chase a fad and let a solid winner languish - ST series a case in point. Was by far my favorite motorcycle, did everything I wanted for about 10 years. I sold it and went through a handful of bikes looking to replace it; couldn't find the right mix of performance, reliability, all day comfort, and price. Guess I was chasing a dream. BMW was fun but definitely had its drawbacks and was proud of them!
This looks like a nice solid bike, upright riding with enough power to get performance. Connoisseurs spend a lot of time explaining to all uninterested parties why their particular choice is so much better.
 
I rode my ST yesterday (after riding the CB for 4 straight days) and thought what an amazing bike it is. All the things you describe about the ST are so true. I've had mine for 7 years and 63,000 miles. Hope to put 100,000 on it, but to do that I have to spend less time on the CB and I really enjoy it too. Have put 26,000 miles on my 2 CB's.

Not sure what will be my last bike purchase. I know it will be smaller and lighter... something in the neighborhood of a lowered NC 700 I suppose, or an SV 650 ADV or the new Kaw 650 LT, or maybe the Yamaha FJ09.. although I can't imagine riding anything but a Honda at this point. They have just been so good to me.
 
Back
Top