NEW HELMET

Cormanus_imp said:
WD, do yourself a favour and start wearing proper hearing protection on the bike. https://www.hear-it.org/motorcycles...=At 100 kilometres per hour,103 dB and 116 dB.

Will do, I've been trying to find the perfect balance of sound isolation, comfort, and being able to hear the environment. I have tiny little ear passages so even the smallest in-ear earbud adapters are extremely uncomfortable, and a lot of things I've tried just blocks too much for my comfort.
 
whizzle_dizzler_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
WD, do yourself a favour and start wearing proper hearing protection on the bike. https://www.hear-it.org/motorcycles...=At 100 kilometres per hour,103 dB and 116 dB.

Will do, I've been trying to find the perfect balance of sound isolation, comfort, and being able to hear the environment. I have tiny little ear passages so even the smallest in-ear earbud adapters are extremely uncomfortable, and a lot of things I've tried just blocks too much for my comfort.
FWIW...I have found these to be very comfortable and the 3 different filters give you flexibility on how much sound you want to block out. They also come in regular and petite sizes so may accommodate your situation well.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Had to Google the stig.
Me too. That's one long WiKi entry on a TV show character.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Had to Google the stig.
You guys have never watched Top Gear (not the new one or american one) or Grand Tour? You don't know what you're missing!
You guys have never watched Top Gear (not the new one or american one) or Grand Tour? You don't know what you're missing!
They were great programs with a lot of (British ) humor !!!
 
Got me this little tiddy the other day:



Went shopping for the coveted Arai XD-4, and found it. Next to it, saw this Klim Krios Pro, tried it, then suddenly the XD-4 moved way side. This is one heck of a performing helmet.

However, fashion-wise, it would not wear well on the CB1100.

Highlights:[ul] [li]Extremely light. Possibly the lightest ADV helmet today.[/li] [li]Very quiet interior (despite the attached helmet sun peak).[/li] [li]"Transitions" technology face shield. Works incredibly well and fast.[/li] [li]Ultra fast patented on/off chin strap clasp. Can just use a gloved hand.[/li] [li]Superior head crash protection technology (you will be less brain damaged).[/li] [li]Subjective: Very comfortable.
[/li][/ul]
Lowlights:

Hard to list, but here are some:
[ul] [li]Despite its incredible lightness (carbon fiber), the shell is a bit larger than typical. Not totally unusual for an ADV helmet, but noted nonetheless.[/li] [li]Expensive.
[/li][/ul]
 
Yep wouldn't wear well with a CB 1100, but probably looks pretty good astride an Africa Twin
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Got me this little tiddy the other day:



Went shopping for the coveted Arai XD-4, and found it. Next to it, saw this Klim Krios Pro, tried it, then suddenly the XD-4 moved way side. This is one heck of a performing helmet.

However, fashion-wise, it would not wear well on the CB1100.

Highlights:[ul] [li]Extremely light. Possibly the lightest ADV helmet today.[/li] [li]Very quiet interior (despite the attached helmet sun peak).[/li] [li]"Transitions" technology face shield. Works incredibly well and fast.[/li] [li]Ultra fast patented on/off chin strap clasp. Can just use a gloved hand.[/li] [li]Superior head crash protection technology (you will be less brain damaged).[/li] [li]Subjective: Very comfortable.
[/li][/ul]
Lowlights:

Hard to list, but here are some:
[ul] [li]Despite its incredible lightness (carbon fiber), the shell is a bit larger than typical. Not totally unusual for an ADV helmet, but noted nonetheless.[/li] [li]Expensive.
[/li][/ul]
Update:

Already over a thousand clicks on this helmet and initial opinion has not changed. Anyone considering an ADV helmet and considering an Arai XD-4 (or similar) should also look at this helmet.

Teasing out a few more opinions:

(more) Pros:
[ul] [li]Head turning is easier without the extra (inertial) moment caused by heavier helmets. This appears to help in lessening upper body/neck fatigue on long travel legs.[/li] [li]Surprisingly, early morning shield fog-up (forced with exhale from mouth) dissipates very quickly with face shield down. I guess the claimed air-flow management really does work.
[/li][/ul]
(more) Cons:[ul] [li]In my case, the chin strap is looser than I am used to in other helmets. The helmet won't come off, however, I typically expect it to be taut, especially with cold weather garb on under the helmet. This helmet strap will be quite comfortable with extra winter garb on. I suspect for riders with chicken necks, the strap could be a problem. If the rider has a double chin, they may really like this strap.[/li] [li]I am really getting down into the dregs now, but when lowering the face shield using the left side thumb tab, I often find myself grabbing the sun visor peak corner. Doing this does not allow me to close the face shield until I realize I am grabbing two things. This appears to only happen when I am wearing thick gloves for those cooler early morning rides.
[/li][/ul]
 
Thread starter
I would appreciate a close range pic ( as the one above) but with everything "closed/down"
TY.
 
I have a chicken neck :(
 
Houtman_imp said:
With a chicken neck you do not need a helmet as chickens can live even with their head cut off.
Not for long.
 
You’re killing me Smalls :D
 
Back
Top