NEW HELMET

shoei nxr is my favourite. The simplest, smallest, lightest, quietest helmet I’ve tried. Superior quality.
9348ad7a27d49b210c0d0cf462a5cea1.jpg
 
Thread starter
Mrded, you got nice helmet and graphics, similar to mine :thumbsup:

P.S. I heard these only come in one size; 5XL and leaking when raining :P
 
Have a Shoei Neotech 2 which is good quality but I found noisy. Just discovered that you can purchase different "innards" that take up some of the space and change the acoustics. Tried some and they DO help. I'm in NC where the summers are hot and humid, helmet no less comfortable . Also added some "ear cups" - thin layer of padding that goes where ear speakers would be if you use in helmet communication systems. Worked well enough that I added some to an older helmet, reduced wind noise appreciably. Not exactly Maxwell Q. Smart's cone of silence but .......
 
One word: earplugs.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
One word: earplugs.
For the last 10 years I ALWAYS put 33 NR foam plugs in my ears and my hearing has not gotten worse over that time . Now I can hear when my wife calls me names !
 
I’m having headaches from earplugs. I tried many different ones, including custom made. I prefer not to ride fast, so wind is not too loud.
 
I have trouble with ear plugs as well. Growing up shooting guns, then Rock N Roll in my late teens early adult years and riding motorcycles without ear protection for over 50 years has certainly taken it's toll on my hearing. My tinnitus is terrible, as is my hearing.
 
I replaced my Shoei GT Air with the Shoei GT-Air II, purchased from Revzilla. I loved the original GT-Air for comfort, features and overall performance (noise and drop down sun shield). My main complaint about the original is the closing the snap on the the end of the chinstrap.
I tried on the new Shoei and it is tight with no pressure points, my identical experience with the original. The revised helmet shell didn’t affect the fitment in my case. Other changes with the new Shoei is “micro ratchet chinstrap” and Sena SRL 2 communication system intercom integration design. The downside to this the new Shoei is a little heavier than the original. Currently, I have no plans to add the Sena communication system. More information: Shoei GT-Air II Helmet (LG) - RevZilla
I paid $500.00 plus tax, and Revzilla threw in a free Honda oil filter and a free Revzilla tee shirt!

48bb5c0f61a592657d5aa13d8255618a.jpg
 
They ought to see you in that Suhawk! Nice looking lid
 
Thread starter
suhawk305_imp said:
I replaced my Shoei GT Air with the Shoei GT-Air II, purchased from Revzilla. I loved the original GT-Air for comfort, features and overall performance (noise and drop down sun shield). My main complaint about the original is the closing the snap on the the end of the chinstrap.
I tried on the new Shoei and it is tight with no pressure points, my identical experience with the original. The revised helmet shell didn’t affect the fitment in my case. Other changes with the new Shoei is “micro ratchet chinstrap” and Sena SRL 2 communication system intercom integration design. The downside to this the new Shoei is a little heavier than the original. Currently, I have no plans to add the Sena communication system. More information: Shoei GT-Air II Helmet (LG) - RevZilla
I paid $500.00 plus tax, and Revzilla threw in a free Honda oil filter and a free Revzilla tee shirt!

48bb5c0f61a592657d5aa13d8255618a.jpg
Su305, nice helmet and colour, Shoei is very good one = :thumbsup:

Side note: How would I know you ride with an old or new one...unless you keep new sticker attached to it..:P:)
:beerchug:
 
suhawk305_imp said:
I replaced my Shoei GT Air with the Shoei GT-Air II, purchased from Revzilla. I loved the original GT-Air for comfort, features and overall performance (noise and drop down sun shield). My main complaint about the original is the closing the snap on the the end of the chinstrap.
I tried on the new Shoei and it is tight with no pressure points, my identical experience with the original. The revised helmet shell didn’t affect the fitment in my case. Other changes with the new Shoei is “micro ratchet chinstrap” and Sena SRL 2 communication system intercom integration design. The downside to this the new Shoei is a little heavier than the original. Currently, I have no plans to add the Sena communication system. More information: Shoei GT-Air II Helmet (LG) - RevZilla
I paid $500.00 plus tax, and Revzilla threw in a free Honda oil filter and a free Revzilla tee shirt!

48bb5c0f61a592657d5aa13d8255618a.jpg
I made a typo, the Shoei GT-Air II cost $599 plus tax.
And PB, I’ll wear the new helmet backwards so you tell which one I am wearing. :huh::huh:
 
Thread starter
Here it is, Pinlock included :banana:

28ef4572b525809bf521e11c48cc0e03.jpg


4f97ce743e643f2b3664a3bad581e658.jpg


1cc4aa1d5c0ce9e88c63ee88ad58b76d.jpg

with the sticker..hahaha like Su305 :)

a38ebd5a244116040eb12f9a70bf1eab.jpg


8eec73a5de2fe858502f85e8b5f16c37.jpg


P.S. Did not tell my wife yet...you think, I should??::rolleyes:
 
Thread starter
Thank you!
Very light, much, much lighter than my previous one and my heavy head...separately :blush:

From the website: Weighing in at 1485g/3.27 lbs, the RPHA 70 is slightly heavier than lightweight Shoei NXR, which comes in at a 1310g.
 
Thread starter
Inside, a very thin layer...the helmet is still boxed, will explore it next week, as I have too many other errands to do now..
 
So my Shoei X-Twelve Vermeulen 5 was getting a little old, still in great shape, but built in Feb 2012 if I recall.

As I sat with my leg in an airboot, recovering from a fractured ankle, I stumbled across a post on RideApart for Simpson's new release of the Speed Bandit. Targeted toward motorcycling, and my heart jumped when I saw the price - $279.

Do I want to spend $500+ on a Shoei, one of the only brands that fits me perfectly? Not really, unless I have to.

Can I afford a $300 helmet? I think so.

Do I want to look like the Stig? HECK YEAH


So I ordered one, with the gold tinted visor, because it looks awesome. The fancy tinted shields were the most expensive option, and ended up spending almost $380 after tax for what you see. Crossed my fingers that it would fit, and waited a week or so.
It came in, and I was ecstatic. It looked great, it was really light, and the quality looked pretty good. I didn't get to ride with it until a few weeks later, as I just got strong enough to be able to ride again.

4490695d963344f191370d3efc181219.jpg

e0f174fb925baba5b88f59306a562e26.jpg


What I've learned in the last four days with the helmet:
[ul] [li]It's very light, very easy to rotate the head.[/li] [li]It doesn't fit me quite like a Shoei, as the cheekpads don't extend all the way to the points of my cheekbones where I feel like it cocoons me. Maybe I'll learn to like this, since it's not really a "race" helmet.[/li] [li]The amount of peripheral view through the eyeport is ridiculously huge. I feel so free in it.[/li] [li]The gold tinted visor is very good, it doesn't have any weird color shift like I've seen in some other visors. I'd judge the tint as a very small amount of blue, with the standard smoke gray. Nothing distracting. The optical clarity is great too. Will have to have more time with it to see how it stands up to being cleaned.[/li] [li]The visor has 4 (I think) detent positions. I would like one more, just to crack the visor open during slow movement. Moving the visor up one notch puts it right in the position where it's not visually impairing, but a little annoying to have to tilt your head down to make sure you won't hit any road hazards. Halve that notch, and you've got yourself a winner.[/li] [li]The airflow is good. At least on the bottom vents. Looking at the upper EPS foam channels, they're pretty deep, and kept me cool enough in humid 87 degrees today. I'll have to ride more to make comment on this, but you can see right through those mesh vent holes, meaning the air's coming right through.[/li] [li]The airflow is too good, and you can't shut it off. This makes for quite a loud helmet. I thought my X-Twelve was loud versus my stupid quiet RF-1100, but on my 30 minute commute, I'm wishing I was wearing my X-Twelve. I don't wear earplugs, but I do have iPhone earbuds in, which blocks only a little bit of noise. Blocking off the open neck area would reduce noise, proven by my hunching my jacket up sealing the area.[/li] [li]On unfaired bikes, turbulence is pretty minimal, which is surprising with the shape of the helmet, even when doing a low shoulder check. Will have to ride more though to comment about how it handles crosswinds and passing vehicles.[/li] [li]The retention strap has D-Rings, and a button retainer for the end of the strap. This is my favorite setup.[/li] [li]There are ear pockets that my X-Twelve don't have, which make my earpods fall out, but that space allows for installing speakers for comms. I will be getting a Cardo unit when I find a good deal on one.
[/li][/ul]


Do I like it? Yeah

Would I recommend it? If you want to look like the Stig, don't want to spend a crazy amount, and want a lightweight helmet, Yes.

Can it be better? I think the helmet's already pretty good. Besides the extra detent notch to crack the visor open, something that could be added would be vent closures. Not sure how much this would add to the production cost and what it would take away from the aesthetics, but why not have the option?
 
Back
Top