New Goldwings arrived

Curious why Honda is putting dated technology in the form of 2 external speakers in their fairings. Almost to a person they are ATGATT adherents. With all the tech now available (WiFi/Bluetooth etc) for helmets it seems odd that they would bother with 70’s technology. At speed with a helmet on can any rider hear these speakers at anything less than almost full volume?
 
Frulk_imp said:
Curious why Honda is putting dated technology in the form of 2 external speakers in their fairings. Almost to a person they are ATGATT adherents. With all the tech now available (WiFi/Bluetooth etc) for helmets it seems odd that they would bother with 70’s technology. At speed with a helmet on can any rider hear these speakers at anything less than almost full volume?
I always thought the amplifiers were for pedestrians at intersections so they would turn their heads toward the [whatever] audio sound and see the Gold Wing. Somewhat like, free advertising, or at least, lifestyle advertising.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Curious why Honda is putting dated technology in the form of 2 external speakers in their fairings. Almost to a person they are ATGATT adherents. With all the tech now available (WiFi/Bluetooth etc) for helmets it seems odd that they would bother with 70’s technology. At speed with a helmet on can any rider hear these speakers at anything less than almost full volume?
Honda had headsets with speakers and a microphone in the early 80s when I bought my Aspencade Goldwing. I am sure they are still offering them.
 
For some years now I've had two or three bikes, but I've ended up with two now. My '13 CB1100 is my city/commute/local bike. It's light and easy to handle, with good response. For any distance or multi-day touring, I use my BMW R1100RT. Electric windshield, hard bags, smooth abundant power to get down the road. All good.
 
I was eating at a sidewalk restaurant in Torrance a few weekends ago. Just south of Los Angeles proper, and the home of Honda HQ. A new Goldwing with a manufacturer plate parked near my bike, and I was admiring it until my vision went to an '80s style cable TV scramble-vision. My brain said "You're not old enough to think that looks good."
 
I've ridden both of the new Goldwings. Man, set that thing in sport mode and it gets up and boogies. The sound system sounded good, and that wasn't even the upgraded version. The only real complaint I have about it is the right saddle bag. It just doesn't have enough room in it. Honda decided to take up some of that space and put something behind it. Really cuts into your luggage room. Enough so that I wouldn't buy one unless I got a great deal. However, BMW has that B1600. Now that has all the Honda has and is about the same price, maybe less.
 
Ken you can get aftermarket saddlebag lids that increase the capacity.
 
And they cost ~$1000
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
And they cost ~$1000
Or about $320 when compared to the cost of a new CB at $8000 vs the $25,000 price tag on a new Wing. How many here spent $320 for an accessory for their CB?

in that vein a single Staintune muffler that cost $800 for the CB would cost $2500 for a Goldwing or $5000 for a pair
 
I'm beginning to see used Gold Wing DCT Tours for sale around here. They're not holding their value -- you can find them for $18,000 - $19,000. But the BMW K1600B is doing even worse -- there are a few around here in the $11,000 - $12,000 range. I've never seen one on the road, which is telling.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I'm beginning to see used Gold Wing DCT Tours for sale around here. They're not holding their value -- you can find them for $18,000 - $19,000. But the BMW K1600B is doing even worse -- there are a few around here in the $11,000 - $12,000 range. I've never seen one on the road, which is telling.
I would pick up either one for those prices. I would want the B1600 as just a bagger. I would even go for the Wing that way to.
The ferret_imp said:
Ken you can get aftermarket saddlebag lids that increase the capacity.
I asked about that, but the kid didn't know much about the new Wing. I would probably do that. Can you see me now riding down the road blasting my music? WoooHooo...
 
SCCBrider_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
I'm beginning to see used Gold Wing DCT Tours for sale around here. They're not holding their value -- you can find them for $18,000 - $19,000. But the BMW K1600B is doing even worse -- there are a few around here in the $11,000 - $12,000 range. I've never seen one on the road, which is telling.
I would pick up either one for those prices. I would want the B1600 as just a bagger. I would even go for the Wing that way to.
The ferret_imp said:
Ken you can get aftermarket saddlebag lids that increase the capacity.
I asked about that, but the kid didn't know much about the new Wing. I would probably do that. Can you see me now riding down the road blasting my music? WoooHooo...
I asked about that, but the kid didn't know much about the new Wing. I would probably do that. Can you see me now riding down the road blasting my music? WoooHooo...
:rofl: yea...I can
 
SCCBrider_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
I'm beginning to see used Gold Wing DCT Tours for sale around here. They're not holding their value -- you can find them for $18,000 - $19,000. But the BMW K1600B is doing even worse -- there are a few around here in the $11,000 - $12,000 range. I've never seen one on the road, which is telling.
I would pick up either one for those prices. I would want the B1600 as just a bagger. I would even go for the Wing that way to.
The ferret_imp said:
Ken you can get aftermarket saddlebag lids that increase the capacity.
I asked about that, but the kid didn't know much about the new Wing. I would probably do that. Can you see me now riding down the road blasting my music? WoooHooo...
At least with the GWing you can actually listen to the music, versus the exhaust.
 
Here in Ottawa the 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT has been discounted from CDN$32,000 to CDN$28,000. But with Freight, Dealer Prep, and the Sales Taxes it would really cost about CDN$33,000 out the door. While Goldwings are the "Cadillac of Motorcycles" (Penny circa 1982), I could not bring myself to spend that on a motorcycle. I would put the money towards a convertible instead.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Here in Ottawa the 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT has been discounted from CDN$32,000 to CDN$28,000. But with Freight, Dealer Prep, and the Sales Taxes it would really cost about CDN$33,000 out the door. While Goldwings are the "Cadillac of Motorcycles" (Penny circa 1982), I could not bring myself to spend that on a motorcycle. I would put the money towards a convertible instead.
I agree.
For those who are willing to spend that much on a motorcycle, have at it.
My conservative Maritime nature just won't allow me to do it :D :D :D
For that kind of money I'd be shopping for a new car - and will be in the near future.
I'll stick with my eclectic modest fleet and enjoy the variety.
 
AU$46,591 on the road for a 2019 premium and AU$39,125 for the 2018 standard edition means this little black duck sure won’t be getting one.
 
I would not buy anything that has DCT. Standard or auto.

"The Gold Wing also received a 7-speed DCT automatic transmission" , really???
Source: Motor Cycle News
 
Back
Top