New Goldwings arrived

LongRanger Wrote:I wasn't smitten with the '17 CB. The tank was easier on my eyes than it appears in the photos, but I didn't care for the non-color matched side covers, the two-tone engine, or the shorty mufflers. To me, it's a nicely-executed modern interpretation of a UJM, but visually I think the DLX captures the vibe more authentically. But it's all good.
I feel almost the exact opposite. I don't like the boxy shape and exposed seams of the pre-2017 models, and I don't like the extra hump on top of the '14 Deluxe's tank. I prefer the tank-shape of the '13 model and the '14 Standard to the '14 Deluxe, even though I'd still prefer the Deluxe's tank to the Standard's for its greater capacity. I also don't like the way the Deluxe's side cover extends beyond the frame. I like that it's color-matched to the tank, but I prefer the hand-finished real aluminum of the '17 EX to the silver-painted covers of the previous models, or the oversized cover on the '14 Deluxe. I definitely prefer the smaller mufflers of the '17. They sound better, they show off the spoked wheel better, they're lighter, and they offer additional power.

Also, I prefer the extra chrome and real aluminum pieces on the EX.

The only thing I prefer about the '14 Deluxe and the original '13 is the green-face clocks. I also prefer the winged logo on their tanks, but only on that boxy tank, not on the EX's curvier, seamless tank. With the more contoured design of the new tank, I think Honda was right in switching to the 'Honda' script.
 
VLJ_imp said:
LongRanger Wrote:I wasn't smitten with the '17 CB. The tank was easier on my eyes than it appears in the photos, but I didn't care for the non-color matched side covers, the two-tone engine, or the shorty mufflers. To me, it's a nicely-executed modern interpretation of a UJM, but visually I think the DLX captures the vibe more authentically. But it's all good.
I feel almost the exact opposite. I don't like the boxy shape and exposed seams of the pre-2017 models, and I don't like the extra hump on top of the '14 Deluxe's tank. I prefer the tank-shape of the '13 model and the '14 Standard to the '14 Deluxe, even though I'd still prefer the Deluxe's tank to the Standard's for its greater capacity. I also don't like the way the Deluxe's side cover extends beyond the frame. I like that it's color-matched to the tank, but I prefer the hand-finished real aluminum of the '17 EX to the silver-painted covers of the previous models, or the oversized cover on the '14 Deluxe. I definitely prefer the smaller mufflers of the '17. They sound better, they show off the spoked wheel better, they're lighter, and they offer additional power.

Also, I prefer the extra chrome and real aluminum pieces on the EX.

The only thing I prefer about the '14 Deluxe and the original '13 is the green-face clocks. I also prefer the winged logo on their tanks, but only on that boxy tank, not on the EX's curvier, seamless tank. With the more contoured design of the new tank, I think Honda was right in switching to the 'Honda' script.
I feel almost the exact opposite. I don't like the boxy shape and exposed seams of the pre-2017 models, and I don't like the extra hump on top of the '14 Deluxe's tank. I prefer the tank-shape of the '13 model and the '14 Standard to the '14 Deluxe, even though I'd still prefer the Deluxe's tank to the Standard's for its greater capacity. I also don't like the way the Deluxe's side cover extends beyond the frame. I like that it's color-matched to the tank, but I prefer the hand-finished real aluminum of the '17 EX to the silver-painted covers of the previous models, or the oversized cover on the '14 Deluxe. I definitely prefer the smaller mufflers of the '17. They sound better, they show off the spoked wheel better, they're lighter, and they offer additional power.

Also, I prefer the extra chrome and real aluminum pieces on the EX.

The only thing I prefer about the '14 Deluxe and the original '13 is the green-face clocks. I also prefer the winged logo on their tanks, but only on that boxy tank, not on the EX's curvier, seamless tank. With the more contoured design of the new tank, I think Honda was right in switching to the 'Honda' script.
-1
 
Ordered some accessories for the GW. Unbelievable how many panels & parts have to be removed. Just getting started and not all the parts are in yet, but would be glad to start a thread or post if here is there’s interest?

FWIW, in the non-air bag models; the space is a non-locking storage cubby with a USB cable. Comes with a foam insert also to hold your phone.
 
Razor_imp said:
Ordered some accessories for the GW. Unbelievable how many panels & parts have to be removed. Just getting started and not all the parts are in yet, but would be glad to start a thread or post if here is there’s interest?

FWIW, in the non-air bag models; the space is a non-locking storage cubby with a USB cable. Comes with a foam insert also to hold your phone.

What did you order Ray? Start a new thread if you will.
 
Finally got to sit on and play with the new Wing today. I was surprised how much easier it was to pick up off the side stand and to put on the center stand than my ST 1300. As you can see in the pic even my munchkin legs were able to make it to the floor on both sides. I liked it, but gads too many freaking switches and buttons. Can you say distracted rider? lol. I will take it out for a test ride when the weather clears up a bit here. This one was the tour/standard trans. Like others I found the latching of the trunk iffy. Electric windshield moved further than I thought it would. Windshield shape could have been better (it was rather squared on the corners) and it seemed kind of thin. Also climbed up in the passenger area and the floor boards seemed small and the arm rests seemed in the wrong place and to slope down, but it was on the center stand so who knows? I thought it looked great though. Salesman said all the old Wing riders that had looked at it so far complained about the lack of storage.

ddc081395767f71ba394d0154ec55a52.jpg
 
Nice. I believe armrest extenders are a factory accessory. I really like the bike but my recent decision came down to perceived value for the buck. As impressive as they are, new GW's aren't inexpensive!
 
Yea they are pricey. I couldn't buy one just because my mind wouldn't let me. I 'd buy a new FJR and pocket $10K or a new discounted CTX 1300 like Ole got for $6800 bucks or look for a nice low mileage ST 1300. (I passed up a 2012 with 1100 miles on it for $7500 a couple of months ago.. that may have been a mistake in hindsight lol)

I've been looking for a nice used NC 700 lately for a daily rider.
 
I’d love to have one. The touring model. Especially for the electronic cruise control. But, instead of $30000 USD, I can get an electronic cruise for my ST1300, shipped for just under $1000 USD. And I’m going to order it this weekend. OTOH, installation will be a J.O.B.
 
Love the bike but could not justify the cost.
excited about seeing one and if some day an Ebay steal comes along who knows
 
use2b_imp said:
Love the bike but could not justify the cost.
excited about seeing one and if some day an Ebay steal comes along who knows
I feel the same way. Here it would cost over $36,000 with fees and taxes.

Enjoyed my 1982 Goldwing Aspencade when Penny and I rode together. But as I remember it was $8500.

She is no longer interested in motorcycling. So I ride alone once a week half of the year. I'll stick with my EX.
 
Just my thought; but did Honda redesign the 2018 Gold Wing with a hope of catching the eye of the ST crowd? We have been orphaned by Honda's halt of production since '06. So many ST's are now in the triple digits on the odometer and only an FJR as an alternative. Honda made me look at this new Wing.
Jim
 
TBC.... Just a correction, Honda made the ST's until 2012 ( but they are the same as the 06's lol... Same color even), but I know what you are saying. My 06 ST is in triple digits now. Never had a bike with this many miles on it, so do I trust it setting out on a 2, 3 or 5,000 mile trip? Even though I have it maintained regularly, mechanical and electrical pieces have finite lives. Will one of those 12 year old pieces with 105,000 miles let go or stop working and leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere? It was an easy decision to take off when it had 40, 50, or 60,000 miles. Now at over 100 I'm feeling a bit apprehensive. Honda has nothing in the wings I know of to replace it and being retired on SS I'm not prepared to spend close to $30K dollars on another motorcycle at this point.
 
Ferret, I'd say if your ST has been steadfast reliable up to now, there's no reason to begin worrying about it now. Keep those fluids fresh and you should be fine. My K1200RS is 30k up on your ST and it has never let me down in 20 years of ownership. As long as I continue to maintain it, I expect it'll make it another 100k miles (assuming I do).
 
From today's test ride 2018 Goldwing Tour manual 6 speed

7576388cc9362162e25b2b397f3a0960.jpg


55 mph 2000 rpms 6th

289e795b00d33241cd1c5f2612387fb7.jpg


45 mph 2000 rpms 5th

287e4909e5c301ad864a9c8ca1dd2eb5.jpg


70 mph 2500 rpms 6th

966aa3608a4e3edc4e3efc71ca791351.jpg
 
Funny thing... I didn't get to test ride a Wing today, but I was at my Honda dealer and sat on one....the one without the top case. Pretty comfy and felt great. I also watched Fred, my friendly Honda repair dude, test out the hill holding thingamabob on the ramp out of the service area. It's pretty steep and he said it did its job (I didn't stand downhill from him, though, just in case).
 
There's a hill holding thingamabob? Didn't get shown that. Was shown walking reverse, but didn't try it out. If you bump the button it goes slow, but if you hold it down, it goes pretty fast.
 
Back
Top