New front fairing

Here's an update - I received the order today. It came with the tinted screen, the cowl, a small bag with various nuts, bolts and washers (presumably to attach the screen to the cowl), two metal brackets and two sets of larger bolts, nuts and washers (presumably to attach the cowl to the headlight mounts. No written or illustrated instructions were provided. I haven't had a chance to see how things are going to line up but hope to do just that in the next couple of days and by the weekend, at the latest, make an effort to get it mounted and snap some photos.

There is NOT a hole at the bottom of the cowl to accommodate any type of bracket to secure the cowl to where the horn is mounted. There is a small lip at the bottom, I'll measure it and provide the information with my next update, where possibly a hole can be drilled for such a bracket. I'm going to try to mount it and ride with it without any bottom support first and I'll report the outcome. If unstable, I'll make a trip to Home Depot and see what I can fashion to tighten it up.

The cowl itself looks nice as does the wind screen. No scratches or blemishes. A small sticker on the bag tells me they were made in Taiwan. Fingers are crossed. I have a feeling that, like most things, you get what you pay for. If all else fails, I'll send it back and get the aluminum cowl we all know works well.
 
That Lockhart fairing has been around for eons under various names. I have one as a garage adornment. It is an inferior product. But for $50 and some brackets it's worth a shot and your results may vary. Worst case, it makes for a good cafe racer Halloween costume.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
I'd be worried about it not being secure enough if there's no lower center mount hole for the horn bolt to steady things.
Mounting on the two headlight bolts works very well. I had a screen on my bike mounted that way and it was very secure. The problem is the turbulence created by these screens on this bike is quite distracting. So much so that I had to take it off.
 
The verdict is in on the Lockhart Phillips universal café racer fairing kit! Don't get it. It doesn't come close to fitting on the CB1100. There's a good one inch gap between the headlight and the fairing when the windscreen touches down on the instrument panel preventing the fairing from sitting flush against the headlight or allowing the bolts to line up with the headlight mounting brackets.

I was hopeful but suspected this might happen. I've sent an email to Lockhart Phillips explaining that the fairing is incompatible with the 2014 CB1100 and asking for a return authorization and refund. Let's see how they handle the request.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
The verdict is in on the Lockhart Phillips universal café racer fairing kit! Don't get it. It doesn't come close to fitting on the CB1100. There's a good one inch gap between the headlight and the fairing when the windscreen touches down on the instrument panel preventing the fairing from sitting flush against the headlight or allowing the bolts to line up with the headlight mounting brackets.

I was hopeful but suspected this might happen. I've sent an email to Lockhart Phillips explaining that the fairing is incompatible with the 2014 CB1100 and asking for a return authorization and refund. Let's see how they handle the request.
Good to know, thanks for playing guinea pig!! ;)
 
Have to like good service!
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Spoke to David at Lockhart Phillips. Very nice. No hassle at all with the return. I'll be shipping it and getting the amount refunded to my credit card.
Really cool that you were able to return it. Thanks for testing it out, for us!
 
I've contacted Mr. T at Samurider to place an order for the aluminum cowl! I hope to hear back from him early next week and then, if all goes well, by early December I should get it. I'll then have it painted gloss black and, of course, post some photos.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I've contacted Mr. T at Samurider to place an order for the aluminum cowl! I hope to hear back from him early next week and then, if all goes well, by early December I should get it. I'll then have it painted gloss black and, of course, post some photos.
I too like that aluminum cowl look and am thinking about getting it . I am getting my Corbin seat Thursday and hope to install it over the weekend .
 
Lash 10_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I've contacted Mr. T at Samurider to place an order for the aluminum cowl! I hope to hear back from him early next week and then, if all goes well, by early December I should get it. I'll then have it painted gloss black and, of course, post some photos.
I too like that aluminum cowl look and am thinking about getting it . I am getting my Corbin seat Thursday and hope to install it over the weekend .
I too like that aluminum cowl look and am thinking about getting it . I am getting my Corbin seat Thursday and hope to install it over the weekend .
Nice. A Corbin seat is on my short list as well. I need to balance the spending though with something for my wife if I want to keep buying things for the bike! Happy wife, happy life.
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
Lash 10_imp said:
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I've contacted Mr. T at Samurider to place an order for the aluminum cowl! I hope to hear back from him early next week and then, if all goes well, by early December I should get it. I'll then have it painted gloss black and, of course, post some photos.
I too like that aluminum cowl look and am thinking about getting it . I am getting my Corbin seat Thursday and hope to install it over the weekend .
I too like that aluminum cowl look and am thinking about getting it . I am getting my Corbin seat Thursday and hope to install it over the weekend .
Nice. A Corbin seat is on my short list as well. I need to balance the spending though with something for my wife if I want to keep buying things for the bike! Happy wife, happy life.
I too like that aluminum cowl look and am thinking about getting it . I am getting my Corbin seat Thursday and hope to install it over the weekend .
Nice. A Corbin seat is on my short list as well. I need to balance the spending though with something for my wife if I want to keep buying things for the bike! Happy wife, happy life.
Very wise man you are indeed with that philosophy :clap:
 
"Happy wife. Happy life." For me, this translates to "Buy something for her bike before buying anything for mine."

(This works for me, but it means the cost of anything for my bike is effectively doubled)
 
leonpolarny_imp said:
My bike with Venom MK II fairing. :)
Great first post! Your CB looks fantastic. You may want to visit the new member section and introduce yourself to everyone. And feel free to repost these pics and more! Welcome to the forum!
 
Leon, is the paint match good? It's hard to tell by looking at the pics. In a couple of the shots, paint on cowl looks darker - maybe optical illusion though . . . . .
 
That fairing looks very nice, especially for the price, I was thinking that somebody on here somewhere tried and didn't like it at all quality wise, do tell us what you think about it....
 
Back
Top