New exhaust installed

bvictory_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Installed the new Moriwaki exhaust today. I used new Honda copper gaskets and the gasket/sealer that Moriwaki provided and coated the gaskets with it. I have all the pieces in the right place but it is not fully sealing. So, it’s obviously excessively noisy where the exhaust is connected to the engine/cylinders. Do I need to heat up the exhaust before I torque down the bolts to get a good seal or is there something I am missing, I bought three sets of gaskets in case something like this happened. I can add a short video with sound tomorrow. Thanks for the advice in advance. This forum has been immensely helpful.
 
Thread starter
I am am going to loosen everything up and pull the gaskets to see how they look. I have a feeling one side is more pinched than the other on each gasket as I had some difficulty getting the headers to properly connect to the exhaust. The exhaust has a header and muffler that all connect at one point and getting everything to fit caused some pinching and therefore leaking from the gaskets. I could barely get the nuts to screw on to the bots as the collars are pretty thick. So, I can’t see two gaskets fitting. I will look at getting a good coating of liquid gaske5 on each copper gasket as well.
 
Thread starter
I am definitely going to get the pipes mildly hot before I tighten the header. I also read some other articles about cleaning the exhaust ports with a copper/brass brush and white vinegar to clean up the mating surfaces. I mounted an exhaust on a 1982 Kawasaki 440 LTD years ago and it seemed so simple, I should have done mire research before I started this one. I have been doing car and motorcycle maintenance for over 30 years and I can usually figure out stuff on the fly. This was not the case here. So, I have learned a lesson even in my 50’s.
 
Thread starter
Well, I am F’d. Exhaust is not sealing because prior owner who installed Delkevic exhaust, which was leaking badly from exhaust ports never took out the original copper gaskets. Gaskets came out when I took the Delkevic exhaust off and I didn’t notice the other set of embedded gaskets it until I went back to clean everything up in hopes of getting a better seal. They copper is embedded deep and is preventing the new exhaust from properly seating with a new gasket because the header won’t go far enough into each port. Getting that old gasket out is beyond my skill set and I am wiped out haven’t spent about 16 hours dealing with it. On top of that, the Moriwaki exhaust isn’t fitting perfectly either and the headers probably need to be heated to bend them a bit to fit into the exhaust. I don’t have any experience with a torch or bending pipes either and I am not interested in learning, Does any body know a good exhaust shop that can help in Orange County, California? I don’t necessarily need a motorcycle mechanic as this is purely an exhaust issue. I will do some searching on my own as well. Thanks for listening. I am done buying used bike ever again unless it is a restoration project. This one has been a bit of a lemon. I didn’t learn that the front brake rotors were friend until I ride it home for 500 miles. Those weren’t cheap either, The Delkevic exhaust was installed poorly and was leaking fumes pretty badly. There were a couple of other minor issues too. The $6,750 price seemed good at the time and it also has a power commander. It does run well but I have spent far more on it than I originally expected. I am still going to keep it though.
 
That does sound like a bit of a downer bvictory. :-/

The worse I had was a used bike with a broken connecting rod, but overall purchasing used bikes has been a good experience.
 
m in sc_imp said:
that sucks. i hate prior hacks. this is why i either buy new, or a basket case where i have to do everything. dont get too exited and just slowly work on the exhaust gaskets one at a time, they will come out eventually. try a spring hook tool to snag one and start working it out.
I like the idea m in sc. I tried to envision the same approach, and with no learning involved. :)

Just patience, persistence and brute effort.

Okay, there might be a few beers involved, and some old school radio playing off to the side.
 
Hello Bvictory, I feel your pain. Before bending your exhaust pipes have you verified that nothing else on the frame is bend, or misaligned?

Try Dr John's Motorcycle Frame Straightening, located in Anaheim, Ca. 714-630-4075. They unbent some wheels for me several years ago, and the results were excellent. I assume they're still in business. When I dropped my wheels off his shop was loaded with all sorts of repairs he was working on, most of them off-road quads and side-by-sides.

Good luck, and please let us know how it works out for you.
 
Thread starter
1973cb750_imp said:
mine were also smashed in i used a pair of snips to grab and twist and they come right out dont be scared theyll come out
Snips are too big for these. I didn’t even see they were smashed in there until I cleaned the ports with a brass brush. I ordered some picks and hooks to help. Thanks for the encouragement.
 
Thread starter
Dave_imp said:
Hello Bvictory, I feel your pain. Before bending your exhaust pipes have you verified that nothing else on the frame is bend, or misaligned?

Try Dr John's Motorcycle Frame Straightening, located in Anaheim, Ca. 714-630-4075. They unbent some wheels for me several years ago, and the results were excellent. I assume they're still in business. When I dropped my wheels off his shop was loaded with all sorts of repairs he was working on, most of them off-road quads and side-by-sides.

Good luck, and please let us know how it works out for you.
I don’t believe the frame is bent. The bike has never been in an accident and the frame and welds are perfect. The Delkevic exhaust that was already on the bike fit fine but it had a lot more adjustable points than the Moriwaki exhaust. I actually think some of the studs might be a bit bent and that’s why matching up the header to the 4 into 1 collector is proving difficult. I am not an exhaust expert by any means. So, once I get the old gaskets cleaned out (going to be a cuss because last owner smashed new gaskets over the old ones when he installed the Delkevic) I am going to take the bike to an exhaust specialist that I found. This mess started when I was getting a burning smell from the exhaust ports. I was concerned that it could start a fire. I was already having difficulty getting the Delkevic to seal in other places. That and the look is why I bought the Morikawi exhaust. The bike has always run great. So, at least there is nothing mechanical involved.
 
Thread starter
m in sc_imp said:
that sucks. i hate prior hacks. this is why i either buy new, or a basket case where i have to do everything. dont get too exited and just slowly work on the exhaust gaskets one at a time, they will come out eventually. try a spring hook tool to snag one and start working it out.
Here is a picture of what I am dealing with. Snips can't get to these and I am not making any progress with hooks and picks yet.
I got one!!! I think I have a technique that will work on the others. I dig all the way through the gasket and then bend a sliver out. Then I grab the sliver with needle nose pliers. That worked on the first one.
 
Great job Bvictory!! I knew you’d get them.

Kudos to M in SC for his help and knowledge!
 
Thread starter
Update. Finally gave up on my exhaust install and am glad I did. I had mentioned that I thought it needed bending. That was definitely NOT the case. Wisely, I took it to a local shop and they said it was a truly unique route that the exhaust has to be routed. He has been working on bikes for 20 years and had never seen a route that went behind all the exhaust mounts near the silencers. He sealed everything perfectly and it looks and sounds awesome. It looks and sounds much nicer than the Delkevic system. I forgot to take a picture but will do that and put it up here next weekend.
 
Back
Top