New Emgo shorty reverse cone exhaust on my 2014 CB1100

uscgmac_imp

Been there
Thread starter
This is a new thread to another ongoing thread. I figured the old thread is outdated so I wanted to freshen it up. I just installed the emgo muffler on my 2014. After some playing around I finally got it to work. I used a link adapter from pep boy's being the muffler was not a direct fit. I added photos and a video.


Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
This is the adapter link


Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
 
Cool!!! Congrats on finally getting this to work! Sounds GREAT!!!

Were you able to incorporate a "landing" for the center stand stop? I see the stand is still on your bike, but can't tell if there is a stopper bracket anymore.

How much for the Nickson adapter? I think Walker makes the same thing for $3 available at my local auto parts store. In fact, here's something similar, that is a straight 2-5/8" long pipe section, with 1-3/4" ODs at each end. Wouldn't this eliminate the reducer at the Emgo inlet?

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...&ppt=C0233

Ideally, a chromed short extender pipe, approximately the same end to end length, with a slight "S" bend, would make for an aesthetically better installation when viewed from the rear of the bike. OTOH, the splayed angle of the muffler from the center line of the bike, is not half bad looking "as-is".

How does it sound when you're really on the throttle while riding?
 
Thread starter
The center stand stop was already installed from my Yoshimura pipe. It bolts to the bottom of the frame so you can't see it. It can be purchased separately from Yoshimura for like 40.00. The out pipe diameter is the same as the 1 3/4 so it won't slip over that's why you have to still use the larger end to slip over the head pipe. For whatever reason it just works better with the reducer than just the muffler to the pipe. Still takes a little wrenching down to tighten up. In reality the oem muffler graphite gasket would probably work better for a tighter seal but I ordered the wrong one and the dealer didn't have it in stock. I figured I wanted to do this today so went to pep boys and bought the adapter link for 2.99. I will probably get the gasket in the future. I also bought some gasket sealer but did not use it. Just finished a 30 min test ride and it sounds mean. Nice growl and rumble. I'll leave it like this for a couple days and then check the clamps to see if any thing needs to be retighten

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
I may use the sealer in the future but wanted to see how it was without it. So far it seems fine. I put the reducer into the adapter link then onto the head pipe and slipped in on as far up as it would go then used the oem clamp to tighten up at the head pipe. The ego clamp worked much better clamping onto the adapter link. And the best thing is you can now use the stock hanger bolt location. It would be ideal if we could find a chromed one but I don't think it's going to happen. I don't want to be into this for too much money. This set up looks like it will be good for now.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
So, you're saying the short (Nickson) pipe at its inlet has to be 1-3/4" INSIDE diameter to slip over Honda's OEM fixed head pipe? There are no slot cuts in the end of the head pipe, nor the connecting pipe, so the latter has to slip on fairly tightly in order to clamp properly, correct?

The other (outlet) end of this same short connecting pipe has to be 1-5/8" OUTSIDE diameter, to slip into the EMGO, but with a little slop to be taken up by the largest size Emgo reducer? The Emgo inlet only has one slot cut, so is its clamp able to provide enough force to hold it properly to the connecting pipe?

Sorry to be so anal about this stuff, but as you know ordering the correct size interconnecting link pipe for this muffler is proving to be easier said than done. The info you have provided is mainly for future reference, since I will probably stick with my new Delkevic 9" Oval. The link pipe it comes with has a CS stopper bracket, and this is a very nice looking slip on that sounds pretty good in its own right.
 
Thread starter
Actually the other way around, the ego slips into the one side fairly snug and the side which goes to the head pipe has the reducer which picks up the slack in my case. In all honesty your delkevik pipe and my Yoshimura pipe are of better quality and in the long run a better set up. This was just something for me to play with. I figured for the price it was a quick change I could try out. I do like it and will stick with the emgo for now but when my mind changes again I will always have my Yoshimura and stock pipe to go back to if need be.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
The more I think about it if I was able to find a 1 3/4 to 1 3/4 that would allow another 1 3/4 to fit inside the other then it would eliminate the need for the reducer and giving it a tighter fit at the head pipe but I didn't see one at the store. Maybe I'll look into finding one of those. The good thing they are only 2.99 so you could buy several at one time to see what fits and then just return what you don't use.
dsinned_imp said:
So, you're saying the short (Nickson) pipe at its inlet has to be 1-3/4" INSIDE diameter to slip over Honda's OEM fixed head pipe? There are no slot cuts in the end of the head pipe, nor the connecting pipe, so the latter has to slip on fairly tightly in order to clamp properly, correct?

The other (outlet) end of this same short connecting pipe has to be 1-5/8" OUTSIDE diameter, to slip into the EMGO, but with a little slop to be taken up by the largest size Emgo reducer? The Emgo inlet only has one slot cut, so is its clamp able to provide enough force to hold it properly to the connecting pipe?

Sorry to be so anal about this stuff, but as you know ordering the correct size interconnecting link pipe for this muffler is proving to be easier said than done. The info you have provided is mainly for future reference, since I will probably stick with my new Delkevic 9" Oval. The link pipe it comes with has a CS stopper bracket, and this is a very nice looking slip on that sounds pretty good in its own right.
Sounds like I'm confusing myself now lol. Actually after re reading your response yes that's correct. You need a connection that will accept the head pipe and still be tight enough or you will need a reducer. I would buy both and just play with them until you get it the way you want then return the one you don't use.
 
Fortunately, my local auto parts store has a good selection of these so-called muffler pipe adapters, so what would be on the "ideal" dimensions on both ends to eliminate the Emgo reducer(s)? Also, how long should it be from end to end, and do you think it possible to "polish" as a substitute for chrome? Admittedly, that would be a lot more work without a professional polishing tool. I think finding one with a slight "S" curve would be asking too much for such an off the shelf, inexpensive part that only costs 3 dollars.

Btw, I really like the black fenders and wind deflector on your bike!
 
Thread starter
Thanks. The pipe is only about three or four inches long. I would see if you can get the 1 3/4 in 1 3/4 out first so you can eliminate the reducer. You could get someone to put a slight bend in it. Maybe take the muffler to the store and see what fits. A little gasket sealer can't hurt. I didn't want to use the sealer until I'm sure I like the set up.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
 
Since I'm planning to reuse my existing Delkevic link pipe (w/CS landing), what I'm looking for is a store bought single piece "adapter-reducer" with 2.00" ID on the end connected to my existing Delkevic link pipe, and 1.75" OD on the other end connected to the Emgo muffler. These diameters should have relatively tight fits on both ends with only mechanical clamps. In addition, I have a tube of silicon rubber compound to make sure both ends are "sealed" from exhaust leaks. I know my local auto parts store has this adapter under the Nickson brand. Here is the part number and description:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail...&ppt=C0233

uscgmac, do you think this will work on my bike without any need for Emgo's reducers?

Btw, how is your Emgo working out now that you've had it on your bike for the past few weeks?
 
Thread starter
I had it on for the last couple weeks and it ran fine, although I decided not to use the gasket sealer until I decided whether or not I was keeping this set up. The gasket sealer is a must if your using the connector because you will get a exhaust leak. My ocd kicked in and I decided to go back to my yoshimora RS3 muffler. Although I really like the sound of the emgo muffler, I just could not get over the fact of it being jerry rigged. It was bothering me too much that the set up wasn't really correct. If emgo made a link pipe which was somewhat compatible then I would continue to use it. Being that my yoshimora is top notch quality and fitment is perfect and made for the bike I'm sticking with it. In the future if I can find an actual motorcycle specific link pipe that actually works then maybe I'll revisit the emgo. I can't ride around knowing it's not exactly how I want it.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
 
I have a bit of OCD myself, so I just finished putting on the Emgo. The adapter was in stock at my local auto supply store ($2.99), so I bought it to try out and it worked perfectly! It was easy to swap mufflers without disturbing the existing link pipe.

I took some pictures (see below) with the Emgo mounted on my bike and as you can see, the Delkevic link pipe is still in use. his link pipe makes the installation a snap and the Emgo mounts correctly (no splaying outward) extending back on the side nearly as far as the stock muffler.

I left the label on the adapter showing the part number at O'Reillys Auto Parts Store. I believe the adapter manufacturer is Nickson. I bolted the Emgo in place, but did not apply any sealing compound yet. First, I want to make sure I'll like the Emgo muffler compared to my Delkevic 9" oval slip on. I've had the latter on the bike for ~200 miles, so I've become use to how it sounds (and looks) on my bike. It's a very nice looking exhaust, but still perhaps a bit too quiet.

To finalize the Emgo installation, I may take a crack at polishing the short adapter section after removing the P/N label. The adapter pipe is made of aluminumized steel and has a dull appearance. I will try to hand polish it to help beautify the 1" long section between the Delkevic link pipe and the Emgo muffler's inlet (where you see the label now). Its the only thing about this installation that reflects relative "cheapness" of this aftermarket muffler (only $46 on ebay).

I fired up the bike with the new Emgo mounted in my garage to see how it sounds. Its definitely louder than my Delkevic slip on. Emgo's reverse cone design seems to have less back pressure on the CB1100 engine, even with a baffle, because there are stronger exhaust pulses coming out the muffler's outlet. I can feel it pulsating from several feet away while standing behind the bike. No doubt, this means it will be a LOUDER exhaust; essentially a "megaphone".

I did not go for a test ride yet. Instead, I did a couple of quick blips of the throttle while my CB1100 was idling. The sound is definitely a deeper tone, even somewhat louder than my (baffled) Delkevic slip on and SIGNIFICANTLY louder than stock. Perhaps too loud, but I'll just have to go for a ride on the freeway where I can open 'er up to find out. LoL





 
Today, I took an evaluation test ride with my Emgo megaphone exhaust. For only a $46 aftermarket exhaust, it makes a nice "growl" at slow speed, more than loud enough to be heard wearing a full face helmet. Out on the freeway, at cruising speeds around 3000 rpm (65 mph in 6th), the sound fades to a less noticeable droning background sound with the face shield fully closed.

When I cracked the whip, the sound volume obviously becomes much more pronounced, but still not outrageously loud. I'm sure more sound can be heard at the rear of the bike as opposed to where the rider sits wearing a full face helmet.

Upon decel, from high revs, this exhaust pops and burbles, but does not outright backfire. There are no other ill effects to the fuel mixture at any throttle positions, and the exhaust quiets down when cruising at or decelerating from low engine revs.

In other words, the Emgo is MUCH louder than stock, but still not completely over the top, at least not obnoxiously so in my subjective opinion. For such a low cost exhaust, it is a truly FANTASTIC value that can be made to fit on a standard model CB1100 with a little extra work! I recommend purchasing separately and using a link pipe made by Delkevic for the CB1100, so the Emgo can be mounted properly and the bike's center stand can still be used "as is".

When I got home after a brief cool down period, I loosened the clamps and remove the muffler from my existing (Delkevic) link pipe. I wanted to remove the short pipe adapter (about 3" long) that I purchased from an auto parts store, to polish it. I spent a few hours hand polishing it as best I could, and it now looks much better between the link pipe and the Emgo muffler. The completed installation integrates reasonably well and now looks like a "professional" put it on the bike.

Here are some new photos of the finished installation.




 
The pair valve mod might help with the popping on decell. Nice job on the polishing :thumbsup:
 
It does look good. For the price I'd have to say it looks great.
 
That's nice! And the look fits the bike perfectly. If you decide to get rid of your delkevic muffler I'd probably take it off your hands. I went with the 18" oval because I was concerned about it being too loud. It's quiet, and I'd like it louder.
 
Morider_imp said:
Does anyone know it you can purchase the link pipe separate from delkevic
I do not know, but they don't list them separately on their site. I guess you will have to call them and ask.
 
Ryanschillinger, etal, yes, I am willing to sell my Delkevic 9", polished SS, oval slip on canister (by itself, without link pipe) if you are still interested. It is in perfect condition, still in original shipping box with polished hanger and internal baffle and mounting screw.

$150 takes it including shipping to your location.
 
Back
Top