New CB650F made in Japan

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I was just reading once again about the new 2018 CB650F. I don't exactly know why as I'm not in the market for one, but for whatever reason I'm interested to see how things work out for this model. I was surprised to read that this bike was being made in Japan.

I was assuming that they would be producing this bike in Thailand at the price point they're competing at. Obviously not a big deal in the over all scheme of things. I simply have a preference for Honda's made in Japan, if for no other reason than the company's heritage. One more nice surprise from this new bike — I hope it does well for them.
 
Guth_imp said:
I was just reading once again about the new 2018 CB650F. I don't exactly know why as I'm not in the market for one, but for whatever reason I'm interested to see how things work out for this model. I was surprised to read that this bike was being made in Japan.

I was assuming that they would be producing this bike in Thailand at the price point they're competing at. Obviously not a big deal in the over all scheme of things. I simply have a preference for Honda's made in Japan, if for no other reason than the company's heritage. One more nice surprise from this new bike — I hope it does well for them.
Your assumption was almost right as the previous generation CB650F / CBR650F models were made in Thailand. Peaked my curiosity when that piece of info rolled out a little while back. When Honda first started pumping a lot of our USA models out of that Thai plant, a lot of us were slightly worried. Would the quality control still be there? Would it be the typical Honda we're used to? To date, I have yet to see any of the Thai made models have any issues or be lacking next to a model pumped out of Japan. Aside from working next to them day after day for over 10 years, I also own a couple of Japan built bikes as well as Thai built models and when it comes to overall fit, finish and overall build quality - I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

It's going to be interesting to see how her fate holds here in the USA this go-around as the original CB600F Hornet died a slow death with dismal sales year after year on our side of the pond. Naked sport bikes have started to rise in sales though with Honda (and other brands too) thanks to the introduction of the CB500F. Hopefully it does a little better than the original first generation CBR650F...
curlyjoe_imp said:

Thanks for sharing bud, really appreciate it...
 
Good write up, Kevin.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Good write up, Kevin.
Thanks! Honda's main website has always been lacking with the nitty-gritty kind of info that I like to see on a model when I'm doing research on it so I figured I would give it a shot on trying to fill that void for those few people that are out there like me that want to know every little thing possible.
 
Thread starter
Just to clarify, my comments and thoughts were focused more on the costs of manufacturing the bike rather than with the quality of the product. The fact that Honda had previously been manufacturing this bike in Thailand makes total sense. The most recent data I could find shows the cost of labor in Thailand to be incredibly less than the cost of labor in Japan (less than half as much). Unless there ends up being a huge bump in pricing, the news that Honda is now building the bike in Japan seems even more noteworthy.
 
Guth_imp said:
Just to clarify, my comments and thoughts were focused more on the costs of manufacturing the bike rather than with the quality of the product. The fact that Honda had previously been manufacturing this bike in Thailand makes total sense. The most recent data I could find shows the cost of labor in Thailand to be incredibly less than the cost of labor in Japan (less than half as much). Unless there ends up being a huge bump in pricing, the news that Honda is now building the bike in Japan seems even more noteworthy.
Yes, that is a worthy point to ponder. I'd guess there is "excess" capacity at a plant and it makes more sense to bring work back inhouse than to farm it out?
 
Guth_imp said:
I was just reading once again about the new 2018 CB650F. I don't exactly know why as I'm not in the market for one, but for whatever reason I'm interested to see how things work out for this model. I was surprised to read that this bike was being made in Japan.

I was assuming that they would be producing this bike in Thailand at the price point they're competing at. Obviously not a big deal in the over all scheme of things. I simply have a preference for Honda's made in Japan, if for no other reason than the company's heritage. One more nice surprise from this new bike — I hope it does well for them.
I'm looking for a second bike and the 2018 CB650F is one of them. Has anyone in this forum bought one of these are at least taken on for a test ride. If so what do you think.
 
Except for the headlight (IMO) , thats a good looking bike. Exhaust looks pretty cool.
 
I find that to be the problem for almost all the bikes in the naked/standard genre - seriously, what is wrong with having a round headlight??

Even Harley sold out and put a stupid rectangle headlight on the new Softtail Fatbob. Et tu Harley?
 
I believe the ill-fated CB600F Hornet (and its big brother CB919) were built in Italy, not in Japan. The bikes couldn't be imported into the U.S. at a competitive price, though they were terrific bikes.
 
It has some nice features:
100 pounds lighter than the CB1100
lower center of gravity
better fuel range
better rider ergonomics
readily available tires
1/3 less expensive
 
About same HP as the CB 1100 only measured at 11K instead of 7500 and of course way less torque.
 
I was wondering about that. Thanks for providing the numbers. That means the CB1100 would be way easier to live with on the road, much less frentic.
 
As far as torque, the CB1100 has more torque at 1500 rpms than the 650 does at 8000 rpms, but most importantly the CB1100 has over 60 ft lbs of torque from 2500 rpms to redline which makes it real easy to ride. (peak numbers for torque CB 1100 65 ft lbs @ 5200 rpms, CB 650 47 HP at 8000 rpms)

Doesn't mean the 650 wouldn't be fun to ride, spec numbers don't mean everything, but they are indicative of how a motor performs and what type of powerband to expect. The 650 may indeed be torquey for a 650 class 4 cyl, but it won't be torquey like an I4 liter bike.
 
activedirt_imp said:
Guth_imp said:
I was just reading once again about the new 2018 CB650F. I don't exactly know why as I'm not in the market for one, but for whatever reason I'm interested to see how things work out for this model. I was surprised to read that this bike was being made in Japan.

I was assuming that they would be producing this bike in Thailand at the price point they're competing at. Obviously not a big deal in the over all scheme of things. I simply have a preference for Honda's made in Japan, if for no other reason than the company's heritage. One more nice surprise from this new bike — I hope it does well for them.
I'm looking for a second bike and the 2018 CB650F is one of them. Has anyone in this forum bought one of these are at least taken on for a test ride. If so what do you think.
I'm looking for a second bike and the 2018 CB650F is one of them. Has anyone in this forum bought one of these are at least taken on for a test ride. If so what do you think.
sorry, did not mean to reply to this as it is pretty old. my bad.
 
Back
Top