New Boot Day

[quote="Gone in 60" pid='275033' dateline='1783535940']

David, thanks for the tip on some kick- butt boots.

[/QUOTE]

My pleasure. I will be ordering a new pair on my next payday! David
 
Thread starter
Nice pull, Cormanus! And, you gave me food for thought with that one...
Saturday night is my best friend's annual backyard karaoke party. It is quite the happening, and takes over a week to set up. I helped him build the stage in his backyard last weekend, and I'll help him with the lighting and effects tonight.

Each year, he and his wife come up with a theme. This year, it's solo artists who were once in a band. I'm going for a high-speed, low-drag approach, so I don't want to do an elaborate costume. (Mrs. G is going as Bjork, and will try to pull off the weird hairdoo) Mark Knopfler was one I hadn't thought about... and I love his music, both solo and with Dire Straits. Brothers in Arms was the third CD I ever bought, and it spent a lot of time spinning in the Sony portable CD player on the passenger seat of my Dodge Dart.

However, I think I'm going with Robert Plant. That way I can wear a name tag that says "I have a Big Log"

And thanks for all of your support while I agonized over my boot purchase, guys. Seems like such a trivial thing, but it consumed me for quite a while. And, looking at it, that's not a bad thing in terms of how my life is going right now. If my brain has this much room to devote to footwear, there must not be a lot of other stressful things going on up there.
 
Thread starter
Well, suddenly my cup runeth over with boots...

I love the Indie Ridge pair. Wore them to my friend's house yesterday evening to help him set up for this Saturday's party, and his wife made an unsolicited comment about how nice they look.

The boss had heard me gripe about not finding comfy boots, and he sent me a link to the Amazon cheapies he likes. He sent the note with a "Now just because they're from Amazon, don't knock them. I've worn these for a year now and they've held up great and are super comfortable". His round-trip daily commute is quite long, on any of the bikes in his collection, so I took his word for it. And he said "go ahead and grab a pair on the company card". Don't have to ask me twice.

These came with red laces, but I had to swap them out for the spare black ones in the box. Mrs. G was particularly sad about my decision, thinking the red laces gave them a more jovial, yet edgy look. No shame in boss' game, he rocks the red laces. 
I'll give 'em a run, and if they don't kill my feet, these can be my work riders, and the Indies will be for my personal bikes. 

Then, I got a text from the shoe repair guy who's had my Tourmaster boot for a zipper repair so long that I almost forgot about them. "Sorry it's been taking so long, but I'll have it fixed in a few days".
So I'll get those back, which keep my feet warm in cold weather. I'm triple-covered at this point!
 

Attachments

  • 2c826ba8-5366-4556-98bd-1bd5c57f3f71.webp
    2c826ba8-5366-4556-98bd-1bd5c57f3f71.webp
    51.9 KB · Views: 68
I suspect the Indie Ridge will find their rightful place on your feet in time. David :)
 
Thread starter
pdedse said:
You def. should go with the red laces...you are delivering BLOOD!

I sent a pic of them to the boss while I was on standby at a hospital today and thanked him. I told him I had to go to black because I couldn't pull off the red as well as he could. 
200 mile day, not as comfy as the Indie Ridge boots, but those will be for my personal riding, and will come in handy tomorrow for the museum. I think they're classy enough to wear for my shift. That will be very handy to not have to take another pair of shoes with me.
 
Thread starter
I think I need to talk to Indie Ridge about becoming a brand ambassador. I wore my new boots at the museum on Saturday. As I was wrapping up my tour, as I always do, I said "If anyone has any questions, please let me know. I'll be strolling around and am happy to give any further details about the cars we just saw".

One guest said "Yeah, can you tell me about those boots?"
 
Reminds me of the Steely Dan song:

"I stepped up on the platform
The man gave me the news
He said, "you must be joking son
Where did you get those shoes?"
 
Thread starter
Cormanus’ comment sent me on an interesting musical journey yesterday. Before I headed out, I cued up Petzel Logic on Pandora and listened to it on the way to my first pickup.

Since I pay for the cheapest Pandora subscription available, it doesn’t just stick with the artist you ask for and also plays “similar artists”, bouncing back to whoever you asked for periodically.

I actually like that when I’m riding and don’t touch my phone. It wandered around to Dire Straits, Sting, Pink Floyd, and some of Mark Knopfler’s independent stuff (talk about strange lyrics regarding shoes..)

And regarding shoes, gotta say I really love the Indie Ridge boots. They’re vented, and I figured they’d be the better choice for yesterday’s predicted temperature spike. My dash display hit 107 a few times, and my feet were very comfortable.

Definitely getting another pair.
 
Thread starter
I met up with our sales manager yesterday (he rides and does his other duties, like me). We had drop-offs at the same place near the same time, and I needed to swap bikes with him to bring his back for service and to recover the seat.

We chatted for a few minutes, and I noticed that he was wearing the same Amazon boots that the boss recommended to me. He was rocking the red laces...

I figured the boss must have recommended a pair to him as well. I pointed down to our feet and commented that we must both have the same footwear atelier.
 
Thread starter
Ok, I guess I'm officially a boot snob. I had some time to kill this afternoon sort of kind of in the area where Indie Ridge's office is. I love my black boots, but they're a matte finish which gets a greyish "patina" easily, from the shifter contact area and anything that scuffs against them. It's kinda cool, and when rubbed with a towel spritzed with leather or VLR treatment, they go right back to black. I figured a brown pair in a traditional leather that can be polished would be nice. I called and asked about the "Walker" model, and they had my size in stock. 

I appreciate that they've made exceptions for me to come over and buy directly rather than have them shipped. Picking them up on the work bike means I can't get a box as well. While I was talking with Stephanie at the front office, Steve, the owner came out of his office to say hi. He showed me some of the box art, and it's a shame I couldn't take a box with me. They have a different box design for each boot model. The design for this one was drawn by an artist they apparently found on Etsy. 

I walked in wearing my Amazon boots and while I was trying on the Walker boots, he grabbed one of the Amazon boots and started bending it every which way. He didn't say anything, but I could see the "sure hope you're not wearing these if you ever go down" look on his face.

These will be nice next week when we're at a medical trade show and I need to dress up a bit!
 

Attachments

  • dc3c2746-0405-4edc-851a-bf41a0db2620.webp
    dc3c2746-0405-4edc-851a-bf41a0db2620.webp
    81.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 654e3d11-b15f-441b-8553-84b26de406a4.webp
    654e3d11-b15f-441b-8553-84b26de406a4.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 37
Thread starter
I move so fast, you can't see the feet.
I took that pic to post with my review on Indie's website.

On a side note, this was uncanny... I had a conversation on Sunday with my friend who's been storing my Enfield since March, when it was evicted to make room for the rotation of work bikes.
I had not wanted to impinge on his generosity by asking if I can swap bikes in his garage, but really miss the Enfield. I broched the subject of swapping my Triumph for the Enfield in the parking spot he's so generously granted, and he just replied "sure, no problem... it's really not a bother!"

While I was riding around yesterday, thinking about the Enfield with some guilt, I had the scene from There Will Be Blood playing in my head, where Daniel Day-Lewis is shouting "I've abandoned my child... I've abandoned my boy!" When Steve from Indie Ridge invited me into his office to check out their box artwork, he had the movie poster from There Will Be Blood on his wall.
 
Thread starter
I guess I can’t have anything that isn’t shiny. Still loving the Indie Ridge boots.

The first pair I bought were in a sort of matte black leather that I suppose are supposed to gather marks and scuffs to give them a characteristic antiqued look. Any brush with something leaves a light mark.

That’s nice I suppose, but after giving them quite a bit of “character” I couldn’t help breaking out the polish kit over the weekend.

I dunno. Maybe I’m still tainted by polishing shoes and boots for inspection so many years ago. Not only for drill instructors but Disney supervisors as well.

IMG_8275.webp
 
Back
Top