New battery after only 3 years?

holy666diver_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Bike would start yesterday. Put the battery on my charger for a few hours said "full" bike turned once got it started then I treid a second time later that day and the bike wouldn't start and battery was dead again...

Had the battery for 3 years now. I'll get a new one but is that the average lifespan of a motorcycle battery? I thought they last longer... I have no accessories pulling from the battery either.
 
My experience with these AGM batteries is one day they are good, the next day they are dead, you throw them on a charger and even though the charger shows them as fully charged, they are really dead. Had that experience on 5 bikes now. I just replaced my 5 year old battery in my ST even though it was still working, because unlike the CB, the ST weighs 717 pounds and not easy to push and jump on to bump start. I'll risk it on the CB, but not on the ST. 5 years out of a battery was good enough for me.

Btw just replaced the battery in my 6 year old Ridgeline for the same reason.
 
My OEM battery died after 3 years.
 
I haven't tried it but, can you push start the CB1100 with a completely dead battery? Will the generator power the ecu at the very low firm rate from a push?

RLETS, Baby face Sliders, Staintune Slip-on, CB500 Mirrors, smaller led taillight, OEM rear rack, Guhl reflash, handlebar risers, Kawasaki Gaiters.
 
Retsel_imp said:
I haven't tried it but, can you push start the CB1100 with a completely dead battery? Will the generator power the ecu at the very low firm rate from a push?

RLETS, Baby face Sliders, Staintune Slip-on, CB500 Mirrors, smaller led taillight, OEM rear rack, Guhl reflash, handlebar risers, Kawasaki Gaiters.
You'll be riding. You have to rely on some sturdy volunteers to push the bike. Unless you are lucky and there is a downhill slope handy. Dang Triumph!
 
My battery also died after 3 years. The CB is my daily rider and don't plug up on a battery tender So to me that life span should be sufficient, just my guess anyway. I never had luck on oem batteries . So I went flynriders advice and got me a MMG lithium Ion battery and so far so good. Never a lazy Start with the MMG from day one till today,and it spins the heck out the motor when starting.
 
Retsel_imp said:
I haven't tried it but, can you push start the CB1100 with a completely dead battery? Will the generator power the ecu at the very low firm rate from a push?

RLETS, Baby face Sliders, Staintune Slip-on, CB500 Mirrors, smaller led taillight, OEM rear rack, Guhl reflash, handlebar risers, Kawasaki Gaiters.
My OEM battery died at exactly 2 yrs.

I was able to bump start it in a relatively flat parking lot (used 3rd gear). Didn't work the first time because I left the kick stand down :blush:

The battery was too far gone to turn the engine, but there was still plenty left to power the ECU and the lights. Once started, the alternator kept it going just fine.

If the battery is really "completely dead", it's not going to start. Without power to the ECU and the fuel pump, you're stuck.
 
I agree with everything they said except the AGMs giving notice when dying. THere have certainly been enough examples on this board of someone starting their bike fine, running someplace, then trying to start their bike and...nothing.

That is not much warning lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
I agree with everything they said except the AGMs giving notice when dying. THere have certainly been enough examples on this board of someone starting their bike fine, running someplace, then trying to start their bike and...nothing.

That is not much warning lol
Yes, that thought crossed my mind too when I read it. I guess that applies "generally."
I had two battery failures in the past 25 years and both times the Yuasa battery warned me it was failing by barely starting the engine.
Fortunately, both times I was only out for a day ride not far from home so once the engines were running I beat it for home :D
 
redbirds_imp said:
My wife had a Kawasaki Vulcan that had battery failure in less than six months.
I had a 900 Vulcan and the battery on it went dead after the bike was conveniently out of warranty (one year). I had it on a Battery Tender, it started fine, and after getting gas a couple of miles from my house it barely turned over. The battery on my CB lasted 4 years, which is pretty normal.
 
mininsx_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
My wife had a Kawasaki Vulcan that had battery failure in less than six months.
I had a 900 Vulcan and the battery on it went dead after the bike was conveniently out of warranty (one year). I had it on a Battery Tender, it started fine, and after getting gas a couple of miles from my house it barely turned over. The battery on my CB lasted 4 years, which is pretty normal.
I had a 900 Vulcan and the battery on it went dead after the bike was conveniently out of warranty (one year). I had it on a Battery Tender, it started fine, and after getting gas a couple of miles from my house it barely turned over. The battery on my CB lasted 4 years, which is pretty normal.
My wife's Vulcan's motor quit as she crossed over some rough pavement. The Yuasa battery had a shorted cell.
 
Back
Top