New and Old Japanese Four's

When I started riding in 1996 I was 20 years old and only weighed 163 pounds despite being 6'2" tall. I could wear boys size 18 bell bottom jeans from Sears. Dangerous things to wear on a bike as they always hooked on the foot pegs when you put your feet down to stop. I remained slim until I got married at 30.

By the time I quite riding in 1989 I weighed 226 pounds. Needless to say Penny is a very good cook. I had to give my first Bristol leather jacket to one of my younger brothers.
 
Alright, had a little photoshoot and costuming today ...

First photo, me on my brother's CB550 next to my Batavus moped in 1978.
Second photo, me on my CB1100 next to my Vespa scooter in 2018.
So, 40 years of time lapse ...

60e6288d5b7eaf5c133af01a54de46ff.jpg


18386f9173cd171c13795facb6f5e12e.jpg


Good thing I still like navy blue T-shirts!
Black Vans hightops substituting for the knockoff black Clark Wallabees.
Less flare in the blue jeans.
Probably the same amount of hair ... just moved to different parts of my body.
 
cool before and after zbillster and you stayed slim ..... while i discovered Beer :beerchug: My new Valkyrie reminds me so much of my 2nd Goldwing from back in the day . - the other old Japanese four
 
max_imp said:
Yeah thanks alprider, it did fit and actually quite a tight fitting jacket too, always has been but actually warmer than i expected maybe the fact that it has no ventilation/perforation helps, in any case we both survived the years in reasonable shape except for the hairy stuff on top ( got the hint Cormanus ).

So that camera of yours makes some very nice looking pictures, if that is the one in your avatar which i looked up?
some models in the right hands can do an impressive job.
A while ago i got a canon g7xmk2 and that has the same star pattern like the one reflecting on the shot with the helmet visor, for me it's a handful but i am slowly getting better with it, just makes me appreciate some of the better photo's out there, there are some skilled folk around.
Best wishes and good riding in your summer; max
star pattern
if you mean the pic with my blue helmet ?

this look of starpattern is a question how much aperture lamellear the lense has (construction) and how much close is the aperture...
btw.
i have 4 different cams yes in my avatar is one of them and yes with your cam you have a fine potential to make good pics....for example bcos the 1" sensor and possibility for full manual operation and of cours makes canon too good lenses....the lense is the importantest thing after the body behind the cam....
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Love how the vespa sits in for the scooter!

Is it just me- or were headlights actually bigger back in the day?
And the Vespa is actually RELIABLE! :P Okay, working on it is like building a ship in a bottle, but ... less problems than my 1978 CT90 had.

I don't know about the headlights but the turn signals back then were HUUUUGE! Wonder if they came off of those construction barricades? :dodgy:
 
zbillster_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Love how the vespa sits in for the scooter!

Is it just me- or were headlights actually bigger back in the day?
And the Vespa is actually RELIABLE! :P Okay, working on it is like building a ship in a bottle, but ... less problems than my 1978 CT90 had.

I don't know about the headlights but the turn signals back then were HUUUUGE! Wonder if they came off of those construction barricades? :dodgy:

Heck- I put '13 blinkers on my '14 just to make them bigger and more period correct-


ba9e8e724ffc92ab42b6ca2278b0b99e.jpg

0cd82f99c65ad08eac9bae037205cf37.jpg
 
Nortoon_imp said:
When I started riding in 1996 I was 20 years old and only weighed 163 pounds despite being 6'2" tall. I could wear boys size 18 bell bottom jeans from Sears. Dangerous things to wear on a bike as they always hooked on the foot pegs when you put your feet down to stop. I remained slim until I got married at 30.

By the time I quite riding in 1989 I weighed 226 pounds. Needless to say Penny is a very good cook. I had to give my first Bristol leather jacket to one of my younger brothers.
WOW Nortoon, that is very impressive....send me you secret formula and supplements you used to get younger, PLEASE:P:thumbsup::D
42 seems to be magic number
..............................................:worship:.......................................................
 
Powerdubs, I put ‘14 signals on my ‘13. Only on the front though. Left the bigger ones on the back.
 
Brings up a thought- which is more prevalent- being rear ended or someone turning in front of a bike?

I also put in a kit to make my rear blinkers light up red when the bike is running, blink orange when turning, and brighter red when braking.

As they say- I'd rather be seen on the road than in the ER.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Brings up a thought- which is more prevalent- being rear ended or someone turning in front of a bike?

I also put in a kit to make my rear blinkers light up red when the bike is running, blink orange when turning, and brighter red when braking.

As they say- I'd rather be seen on the road than in the ER.
I’ve been rear ended in a car and that is one thing I don’t want to experience again, especially on a bike. What’s this kit you used Josh?
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Brings up a thought- which is more prevalent- being rear ended or someone turning in front of a bike?

I also put in a kit to make my rear blinkers light up red when the bike is running, blink orange when turning, and brighter red when braking.

As they say- I'd rather be seen on the road than in the ER.
In this part of the country, there are many M/C crashes from a vehicle turning in front of a M/C.

That was my first crash in SoCal.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Brings up a thought- which is more prevalent- being rear ended or someone turning in front of a bike?

I also put in a kit to make my rear blinkers light up red when the bike is running, blink orange when turning, and brighter red when braking.

As they say- I'd rather be seen on the road than in the ER.
I was rear-ended once on my Motebecane moped while waiting at a light in 1979. I had a 6-pack of Coca-Cola bottles in a basket screwed onto the rear rack.

I was sitting there waiting for the green, hearing the screeching of tires ... looking left and right to see where it was coming from ... then BUMP a car got me from behind, but not really fast enough to do any damage.

The Coca-Cola 6-pack of bottles went up in the air ... and landed safely down on the ground, unharmed. :D
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Brings up a thought- which is more prevalent- being rear ended or someone turning in front of a bike?

I also put in a kit to make my rear blinkers light up red when the bike is running, blink orange when turning, and brighter red when braking.

As they say- I'd rather be seen on the road than in the ER.
I’ve been rear ended in a car and that is one thing I don’t want to experience again, especially on a bike. What’s this kit you used Josh?
I’ve been rear ended in a car and that is one thing I don’t want to experience again, especially on a bike. What’s this kit you used Josh?
**Bump**

If anyone knows anything about these kits. The only one I could find was at Twisted Throttle and although it looked good there were a limited amount of bikes they said it would work on, CB1100 not being one of them.
 
Back
Top