Need Touring accessories

bflint

Been there
Thread starter
Just bought 2014 CB1100 Deluxe. Need recommendations for following accessories for cross country touring:
1. Engine Guard and Foot Pegs.
2. Wind screen.
3. Saddle bags and Tail bag.
4. Tank bag.
5. Power Ports (for phone and gps).
6. GPS
7. Road/Toolkit (tools, tire patch, etc).
8. Camping Gear (Tent, pad)
9. Anything else ?
 
Ok are you talking about setting up the bike as a full time tourer with big shield hard bags hard trunk etc? Or setting it up as a sport touring with small fairing, soft bags? Thongs that can be easily removed once you get back?

Might as well add seat to your list too, because few of us can take the seat for all days tours. I can but many claim 50 miles or a couple hours is all they can stand.
 
The ferret' pid='96041' dateline='1435195204 said:
Ok are you talking about setting up the bike as a full time tourer with big shield hard bags hard trunk etc? Or setting it up as a sport touring with small fairing, soft bags? Thongs that can be easily removed once you get back

The Ferret. Loved the last sentence :rofl: Is "thong removal" a new motorcycle term I am not aware of or something the wife might do when you arrive home safely?
 
I went with the SW Motech engine guards. Then I got a National Cycle 'Street Shield' EX windshield. Those were after some research, though all of us have various desires.

My rack is still on back order from Twisted Throttle. I'm holding back with the bag or luggage case right now, still considering options.

The NC windshield was about the cheapest on Amazon.
 
Seabee_imp said:
The ferret' pid='96041' dateline='1435195204 said:
Ok are you talking about setting up the bike as a full time tourer with big shield hard bags hard trunk etc? Or setting it up as a sport touring with small fairing, soft bags? Thongs that can be easily removed once you get back

The Ferret. Loved the last sentence :rofl: Is "thong removal" a new motorcycle term I am not aware of or something the wife might do when you arrive home safely?
LOL....THINGS...THINGS! Dang o and i are right next to each other on my ipad keyboard.Also was distracted by American Ninja Warrior on tv lol.
 
The term TMI is starting to come to mind with ole Ferret...
 
Big fan of soft luggage here. Prefer the clean lines of the CB1100 without saddlebags. I have a variety of bags picked up over the years and use one to fit the days plans. goodwill has an online store worth checking out. Amazing stuff if you keep looking.
For commuting and grocery store runs a tail bag does give you convenience and simplicity. I used an expandable fabric bag that attached to saddlebags of the same brand.
I much prefer dry bags or military surplus bags lashed on with straps for day or weekend (or longer) trips. A collapsable cooler is quite useful in a variety of ways. Also a bungee cargo net. A good waterproofing fabric method here : How to Waterproof Fabric Using Tin Cloth – Mother Earth News
GPs - using a Zumo 550 (10 years on same unit!) and RAM mount system. Wife has a $100 Garmin from Amazon on her bike with a RAM mount also, excellent choice. Love the GPS because it tells me if the road coming up is a long one (worth taking) or short. Lots of folks mount their smart phones but I just don't want to risk mine. Hardwired, auxiliary port also has a USB outlet. Flashlight in tank bag (always) is LED and has a built-in power pack for USB charging too. soperbrightleds.com
I love tank bags with map pockets. When riding for pure pleasure I'm usually just wandering the back roads with a general direction in mind - away from traffic and towards fun roads. I fold a state road map (free upon request at state online tourism site) and put it in the map pocket with the region I'm heading towards showing. It shows me the location of the small towns I'm near in relation to my general target.
Tents? A gazillion choices, too many personal preferences. Pad - best you can buy, or a collapsable cot. Hammock anyone? Redverz gear tents? Get a collapsable chair (Kermit?) at a minimum and the biggest rain fly you can afford.
Advrider.com has lots of threads on the camping and equipment subject. JamieZ has an excellent thread on budget travel.
CB1100 a good choice for longer rides. I use an Alaskan Sheepskin seat pad, helps. Still a candyass after all these years.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Ok are you talking about setting up the bike as a full time tourer with big shield hard bags hard trunk etc? Or setting it up as a sport touring with small fairing, soft bags? Thongs that can be easily removed once you get back?

Might as well add seat to your list too, because few of us can take the seat for all days tours. I can but many claim 50 miles or a couple hours is all they can stand.
***********************
ANSWER: Yes to you sport touring description. It all comes off when I get back and a smaller windshield goes on. Also, I have 91 NightHawk 750 with a Corbin seat I really like ... so you are correct about the seat
 
If you don't want to relocate your rear turn signals you will be limited to size of side bags. The ones several of us use ( shown on my bike) are the tourmaster selects. In addition many of us use a Cortech tail bag and tank bag as well. Tourmaster and Cortech are sister companies and their products match up well. There are many other soft bag makers as well, and as 4 paws mentioned a dry bag is also a good thing to have on your rear seat.

Windshields are a little more tricky. National Cycle, Dart, and Givi make small screens of various sizes that fit and are easily removable and National Cycle makes a larger shield that will fit that gives a bit more coverage, that is also easily removable.

I know nothing of GPS's so no help there, and I don't camp much any more so can't help you there either. When I did camp I used a Eureka Apex 2 XT 2 man tent, an Exped 9 air mattress and a fleece sleeping bag since I only camped in warm weather and could unzip the fleece bag and just use it as a light blanket when it got chilly in the middle of the night.

If you camp, you may want to forego the tailbag or dry bag to have a place to carry your tent, sleeping pad , sleeping bag and chair.
 
I use some of the mentioned stuff in the first post
and bought them from different dealers,
without becoming too specific about the "toys".

When I drive a classic bike like the CB or the W, it should always have some accessories on board,
which make the ride more delicious and comfortable for me.

In summer, from the end of July for some weeks, I plan to travel with the Honda
and will do some camping. It depends on the weather where I will go, heading north or going south in Europe.

So, here is a picture, of how I modified the Honda.
When traveling, I also put a dry bag on the rear with some fastener belts and a bag on the tank too.
That's it for all the stuff I'm going o use on my journey.

Wisedrum
 
No picture, Wisedrum. :(
 
Thread starter
Thanks to all. I am going thru everybody list and researching items. Bought the oem engine guards today. Next items highway pegs, wind deflector and saddle bags. Also need to figure out how to protect the tank paint from knees, belt, tank bag.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Ok are you talking about setting up the bike as a full time tourer with big shield hard bags hard trunk etc? Or setting it up as a sport touring with small fairing, soft bags? Thongs that can be easily removed once you get back?

Might as well add seat to your list too, because few of us can take the seat for all days tours. I can but many claim 50 miles or a couple hours is all they can stand.
I agree, couldn't tolerate the stock seat more than like 60 miles before I had to get off it for awhile.
 
Thread starter
What I got so far:
1. OEM Engine Gaurds (from local Honda dealer)
2. TourMaster 8203-1305-00 Black Select Saddlebag (Amazon).
3. TourMaster 8204-1305-00 Black Select Tail Bag (Amazon).
Next up:
1. Chip Beck seat, but with backrest inserts/flaps because its only 1 month delivery time vs 2 months if you order without the inserts/flaps. Will probably order tomorrow.
2. Windshield, Wanted what Mr Ferret had (National Street Shield EX no tint) but not available any more. Looking at MRA or hmmm. Darn ... nothings simple.
3. REI Kelty Discovery 4 Tent
4. REI Kelty Discovery 30 Sleeping bag
5. Stuff sack for sleeping bag. Will take to seamstress and have leather pad sewn with straps the lash around front forks (did this on my old CX500 and it worked great).
 
bflint_imp said:
What I got so far:
1. OEM Engine Gaurds (from local Honda dealer)
2. TourMaster 8203-1305-00 Black Select Saddlebag (Amazon).
3. TourMaster 8204-1305-00 Black Select Tail Bag (Amazon).
Next up:
1. Chip Beck seat, but with backrest inserts/flaps because its only 1 month delivery time vs 2 months if you order without the inserts/flaps. Will probably order tomorrow.
2. Windshield, Wanted what Mr Ferret had (National Street Shield EX no tint) but not available any more. Looking at MRA or hmmm. Darn ... nothings simple.
3. REI Kelty Discovery 4 Tent
4. REI Kelty Discovery 30 Sleeping bag
5. Stuff sack for sleeping bag. Will take to seamstress and have leather pad sewn with straps the lash around front forks (did this on my old CX500 and it worked great).
Just out of curiosity..why did you (or are planning to) go for a 4 man tent that weighs close to 10 pounds? Kelty is a solid brand but packing that on the bike will take up a lot of room. Also, check out the length of the pole sections when they're collapsed. Fiberglass pole sections tend to be (on average) longer then their aluminum counterparts. 2-6 inches in collapsed length can make a big difference on how you will end up packing it.

Just for comparison. The single wall MSR Fling (no longer made) I used in Wyoming over the weekend was under four pounds...3.9 I think if I would have left the ridge pole at home. There are a lot of good double walls out there well under 5 pounds. That would free up some space for the really important gear to have in camp...beer for instance..:beerchug:

To help illustrate the point. On the left in the orange bag is a two man 4 season MSR Wind tent weighing over 9 pounds. To the right is a 2-man Mt Hardware single wall with its pole bag weighing just over 3 pounds

88c28657993e5129c09eaa9e764c371c.png


Check out this offering from Sierra Designs. A single wall/Fly hybrid with dual vestibuls on either side accessible by small mesh portholes from the inside. 3. pounds/14 oz...a little different price class than the Kelty but about half the weight. My buddy uses this tent in southern Utah and has nothing bad to say about it. Shop around. you should be able to beat SD's recommended retail price.

http://www.sierradesigns.com/product/lightning-2
 
Back
Top