Dress Rehearsal Touring Load Out

Mandrau_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Did a four hour dress rehearsal ride this afternoon to test my current load out for mult-day/weeks touring. In the yellow Sea To Summit Big River 65L Dry Bag is all my camping gear: two man tent, ground sheet, sleeping bag, self-inflating pad, a chair, a canister stove, a tarp- poncho and clothes. There is room to spare. Notice the latch points on the bag which makes strapping it down (with ROK Straps of course) to the bikes rail a breeze. The bag material is thicker than it looks and not thin like other dry bags. The bag on top is an Oxford 18L Tail Bag that is actually water proof and has an outside pocket that is the perfect size for my iPad. The inside fits a 4L box of wine. The rig performed well today. I have an Oem luggage rack yet to install but as you can see, a naked CB1100 can carry a lot of stuff even without the rack. The only down side is that I will not be able to take on a damsel-in-distress passenger. Just as well - trying to down size and simplify my life anyway.
 
I have those same TourMaster Soft bags. The strap will go under the seat if you choose to set it up like that.
 
Do you need to move the indicators to use the soft bags? Do they need frames for support?
 
Thread starter
The Tourmaster soft bags are just slung over the pillion and the signals have not been moved. The bags are mounted high over the seat and the front part of the bags rest on the rear shock spring (There is a pad on the inside exterior of each bag and there seems no danger of being pinched in the spring). The rear of the bags are touching the signals but they do not get in the way of accessing the bags contents. Because they are high, there is no need for supports to prevent the bags from working there way inward toward the wheel. They are functional, fairly inexpensive and fit a stock CB1100 without relocating the rear signals is what I like.

Just wait til I install my oem rear luggage rack and my CB becomes a serious tourer...
 
Thanks Mandrau. That’s helpful.
 
Thread starter
Installed the Honda OEM Luggage rack today.


Turns out that the Tourmaster soft saddle bags do not fit properly anymore without relocating the rear signals. Tried anther set of saddle bags I had lying around and same deal. I like to see those sexy retro rear shock/springs anyway. If I had one complaint about this bike (and it is a minor one) it would be the position of those rear signals that get in the way of everything. Love the rack though. Looks like my next mod may be signal relocation.
 
How did the rack prevent you from using the soft bags?
 
Thread starter
The luggage rack’s side rails are further out and their sloping angle toward the front prevent the saddle bags seating properly on the the pinion. Would be ok if I could move them back a little but then the signals are in the way. I slept on it and I’m figuring that in addition to ‘embracing the wind’ i’m going to ‘show the springs’ and carry my gear up top for now.
 
Mmm ... interesting. My touring rig did not work well last time and I'm trying to figure how to do it better. Saddle bags—at least slung over the seat—may not be the way to go. I worry about interfering with the springs.
 
Thanks Aussieflyer. Was the saddle bags touching the springs a problem, do you think? My other option is to ditch the top box and sling saddle bags over the top of my duffel a la Pterodactyl.

By the way, that looks like a 2017 in the picture. Would they fit an ancient 2011 do you think?
 
not so much a problem for me but the springs did rub some of the coating from the inner surface of the saddlebags. Given the distance that you are likely to use them I'd say it would turn into a problem for you however those frames should keep the bags stable and away from the springs. Yep that previous link was for the '17 model however the same site also has these ... albeit out of stock for now.

KIJIMA : Saddlebag Support [210-4722]

I really found the saddlebags to be good for carrying a small amount of luggage, the weight was quite low and did not affect my comfort nor the bike in any way. I also liked how easy they are to fit and remove. I don't know how water proof they are however they come with a plastic cover which does imply they are not water proof!!
 
I don't know, never tried. Looking at these ones for the 17 model:

KIJIMA : Bag Support [210-486]

it would seem like they are sufficiently rearward to allow for access to the rear foot pegs.

If someone knows or could measure the distance between the grab rail bolt hole centres of a 17 model then we could determine if the same units also fit our earlier models.
 
Back
Top