Need some Wheel/Tire Advice

chync_imp

Been there
Thread starter
It is finally time for my first tire replacement and I am uncertain which of the following two scenarios to try.

I am interested in getting some dual compound tires and it looks like my choices are:

1) Get some Michelin PR3's at a size wider than the spec because I can't find any that meet the original tire specs.

2) Change the wheels to 17" rims which opens the door to a lot more tire options.

I have read through the forum's about people exploring both of theese options.

If I change the rims I was looking at the Kineo wheels (外围买球的app十大平台 - 买球(中国)官方网站).

I am hoping that someone that has experience doing either of these with their CB1100 can give me some advice or share their experience.

I don't want to sacrifice safety putting larger tires on (if that is a real concern) and I'm not sure what unforeseen issues I could end up having to deal with by going to 17" rims.

Thanks in advance.
 
I searched on PR3 and 3 pages of tire discussion threads came up. There has been a LOT of tire talk on the board and a lot of it is/was on PR3's

If you will search, you will find out more than you want to know most likely :)
 
Both Michelin, with PR3s, and Pirelli, with Angel GTs, have spec fronts and 160 rears. I have used both Michelins and Pirellis and have been very happy with them.

As Popgun says, do a search on the forum using those brand names and you will occupy yourself for some time reading the pertinent threads.

Cheers.
 
Thread starter
I spend a lot of time in the mountains on the bike and probably push it in the curves a bit but I am surprised at how much quicker the front tire has worn than the rear.

I'm not sure if it is a suspension thing, a tire thing, or just the way the bike rides.

Very different from my Honda CB500x. Has anyone else had that problem?
 
It has been discussed. I think Ferret said if nothing else, the front tire starts out with half the thickness of the rear and maybe that's it. Just looks like its wearing fast. But I may be remembering the thread wrong.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
It has been discussed. I think Ferret said if nothing else, the front tire starts out with half the thickness of the rear and maybe that's it. Just looks like its wearing fast. But I may be remembering the thread wrong.
That's my memory of it too. It was something like 4.5mm on the front and 10mm on the back. My front tire was gone at 9500kms and my rear at 14,000. The difference doesn't seem as pronounced so far after switching to Angel GTs.
 
Having checked with Samurider, it is also possible to get the Dunlop Sportmax Roadsmart III in the 140/18 along with the T-30 already mentioned. Also the D205 are available in Japan. Certainly it would be cheaper to get tires from Japan than getting new rims.

I am not sure you would be able to get a 17 Kineo to fit the CB1100. Having been looking at the Kineo wheels myself, it seemed as if they would only produce them for the CB1100 with the original size.
 
Thread starter
I searched the forum but couldn't find any references to whether I could install a 120/70ZR18 on the front. I do see both Pirelli and Michelin make a 110/80 but has anyone put a larger tire on the front? I am not sure how much clearance there is.
 
chync_imp said:
I spend a lot of time in the mountains on the bike and probably push it in the curves a bit but I am surprised at how much quicker the front tire has worn than the rear.

I'm not sure if it is a suspension thing, a tire thing, or just the way the bike rides.

Very different from my Honda CB500x. Has anyone else had that problem?
You must have the Bridgestone BT-54s on it. A lot of us noticed that (although not everyone).

My front Bridgestone was bald at 6K mi. The replacement PR3 is at 7K mi. and still looks new. As for handling, the 160/60 PR3 on the rear actually feels more stable in the twisties than the original 140/70 Bridgestone. The only anomaly you might notice is that the CB won't be able to lean over enough to fully scrub the sidewall of that 160 rear.

Wheel changes usually involve other expensive changes, like brakes. I'd recommend that you try some of the tire options available before pulling the trigger on something that expensive.
 
chync_imp said:
I searched the forum but couldn't find any references to whether I could install a 120/70ZR18 on the front. I do see both Pirelli and Michelin make a 110/80 but has anyone put a larger tire on the front? I am not sure how much clearance there is.
I have the 120/70ZR18 on the front. I think it makes a better match to the rear 160/60 PR3. Performed great in the NC mountains last May and a fantastic rain tire. You'll start dragging some unyielding parts before you wear the Michelin rear to the edge.
3e3a5543ca18996b6a67bd7e550d3e50.jpg
 
Back
Top