Need help sourcing racks for Aluminum Panniers

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Ok. I'm looking to put some Happy Trails aluminum panniers on the CB to match up with the top box I purchased from them last year. Kinda trying to go the mod route the Belgian couple (aka Wandering Souls) did that was going to tour South America on their Euro spec CB's. Looked around our forum but didn't have any luck. Not sure if I wasn't using the right search words or what. Just don't remember any forum members with aluminum panniers on their CB's. So I called Twisted Throttle first. They sell SW Motech and after speaking to a very customer oriented rep he found out there was a note attached to the stock number of the racks that stated they ones that fit the CB were NOT compatible with US spec bikes. So next step was mailing an e-mail to Happy Trails to see if they have any ideas on options. I like the SW Motech style of racks. They look stout. Next option may be looking at Hepco and Becker.

Feel free to provide input:

Looking to put something like this on the CB in bare aluminum finish. Depends on how much clearance I'll have with the muffler and how much off-set is required. Nice thing is I can drive to Boise once I have the racks mounted and stop by Happy Trails Factory Store and trial fit anyone of they styles until I find something that's compatible. I think they can even pre drill the mounting holes if the bike is there. Will for sure require blinkers being moved.

Adventure rides

Top box on the OEM Honda rack:

bf1ce0d7745d400c971210b70be2c362.jpg


Would like to get this done before meeting up with Django.
 
Hmmm there was a Norwegian couple that were on the board in the beginning that were. Touring the world on CB's with aluminum panniers. I think I remember them being frow SW Moto tech or something like that.

Lemme dig
 
The Wandering Souls had Hepco & Becker panniers. I'm sure they did a review of them somewhere, but I can't lay hands on it at the moment. Their Website (Home - Kim and Seb) has changed again. I looked through the North American section and couldn't see it.

This was the only thread they posted on here Hi from CB travellers! and it doesn't offer you much help.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. This helps significantly. I also received an e-mail back from the Happy Trails owner and he stated that they sell a build kit for racks but would need someone that has fabrication skills. I’ll follow that up tomorrow to see if he can send me some pictures of this “rack build kit”. However, Jedd’s link to Redbirds post on making the Motech racks work helps significantly. Thanks to everyone for the quick replys. :thanks:
 
Your standard CB mount wise should be compatible with the European 2013 CB1100A, beside the missing ABS.

I also remember the Hepco-Becker luggage mentioned by the wandering souls. In the review they told, a minus had been, they couldn't open the side panel without removing the top box.

Side rack:

https://www.polo-motorrad.com/en/lock-it-seitenkoffertrager-honda-cb-1100-ab-2013-chrom.html

Look here for fitting panels:

https://www.polo-motorrad.com/en/mo...ition&dir=asc&manufacturer_new=422544
 
I have the SW motech racks mounted on my 2014, along with a pair of the 45L cases. I couldn’t be happier with them; easy to mount & remove, and they hold a ton of gear. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
 
Thread starter
Lodger, yes and no. If we're speaking of the Honda OEM Rear Rack Honda is obligated to put some type of limit on it for legal liability concerns. If they don't somebody is bound to strap an anvil to it and try to hit the ton. The OEM rack is robust and is mounted solid enough that I think it could handle more. That being said I try to limit the amount of weight in my top box not because of concern the rack brackets or bolts might break but more to limit the impact on handling dynamics all that high center of gravity weight way out back might have (think tank slapper for one). I use the top box mostly for bulky/lightweight items like a sleeping bag/clothing etc. Doubt I've ever had more than 25 pounds in it. In regards to the panniers they will carry the heavier stuff (MSR fuel bottles/Nalgene's/cooking gear) down low. Again, concern about mass affecting handling dynamics. Remember that the CB is rated to carry a rider and passenger. I will never approach 100 pounds combined (and prob well less than 60) in gear using the top box/dry bag on seat behind me/panniers on either side and including a good sized tank bag.
12Milesout: It would really help me if you could post some clear shots from different angles of the rack mounting points on the bike, as well as the bracket if you relocated your blinkers. Right now I'm considering a couple of options. H and B racks being one because they appear to be direct bolt-on's without any mods required. Please explain any issues you ran into when you mounted the SW Motechs. Also, what was your source for them?
 
I bought the Motech racks off of a forum member, however I had been planning to buy them from Twisted throttle for a while. The installation instructions are pretty straight forward. My rear fender is bobbed, so I don't have the standard tail light configuration. I replaced my rear turn signals with Motogadget m-blaze Pins, and added an AdMore lighting LED bar to the luggage rack cross-brace so my signals would be visible with the boxes mounted. I'm at work at the moment, but will try to get some better picture for you when i get a chance.








I added a couple of deutsch connectors under the seat, so I can change from the M-blaze turn signals & lucas tail light (when the boxes are off) to the AdMore bar when the boxes are mounted.
 
Back
Top