Need help/advice regarding removing the rear wheel/tire

p-man_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
First absolutely great day here temperature-wise to go for a good ride. Got home from work, got on my gear and hopped on my bike and notice it was very heavy to move. Side stand and off the bike and the back tire is flat. Put it up on the centre stand and rotated the rear tire and there is an f'n screw in my tire. Do i need to take the tire off or can i get a repair kit and plug it? If i need to take the tire off, what is the process regarding the chain, brakes, etc. I'm not an idiot but i have limited experience turning wrenches. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Paul
 
Just so you know, 1/2 the people will say NEW TIRE NOW, and the other half will say plug it. I plugged mine and its been fine for 900 miles. YMMV

Edit to add: You really should consider buying a Service Manual.
 
Fist thing is to loosen and remove the axle nut and then adjust the chain to full slack (wheel full forward). Now you can remove the chain and slide the axle out and the wheel will come right out. Its pretty much that simple.
Installing it you will want to spread the brake pads a bit or you will be fighting it trying to get the rotor back in. Make sure to pump the brake pedal before you take off as it will be soft until you re-seat the pads on the rotor. And of course adjust the chain.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Just so you know, 1/2 the people will say NEW TIRE NOW, and the other half will say plug it. I plugged mine and its been fine for 900 miles. YMMV

Edit to add: You really should consider buying a Service Manual.
You are dead right there popgun. I play it both ways, on the car it's a repair and, so far so good, none have failed. On the bike, if it's tube tyre a new tube, and if tubeless (CB) a new tyre. I guess it's a matter of "Are you feelin' lucky, punk?" :)

Cheers
 
From what I've seen here some see no problem and some do. I didn't haven't have much of a choice as last year it took a couple months for a tire to come in and I wanted to ride my new bike. Then I just kept riding it and have the new rear as a spare.

I did also order a new front for a spare in Feb. They must have stock now as it arrived in 4 or 5 days. After last year I didn't want to take chances on not being able to get a tire in a reasonable time with riding season coming/here.

I will say if I was going to hit the superslab for a trip, I'd have the tire swapped out, but I feel OK in town and keep an eye on it. Again, YMMV
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
From what I've seen here some see no problem and some do. I didn't haven't have much of a choice as last year it took a couple months for a tire to come in and I wanted to ride my new bike. Then I just kept riding it and have the new rear as a spare.

I did also order a new front for a spare in Feb. They must have stock now as it arrived in 4 or 5 days. After last year I didn't want to take chances on not being able to get a tire in a reasonable time with riding season coming/here.

I will say if I was going to hit the superslab for a trip, I'd have the tire swapped out, but I feel OK in town and keep an eye on it. Again, YMMV
I'm not much on inet slang so I had to look that up. Now I understand let's not enter into CQB over it :angel:

Cheers mate.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys, i think i will plug it versus taking the wheel off, then carefully ride it to the dealership and have them replace it while they are doing the first service. cuss happens and 1000kms is a poor life span for a tire, but what can you do.
 
P-man,

I'd order that tire ahead of time in case it takes a while to come in like last year. It took forever last year, but OTOH, the front I ordered in the FEB. timeframe came in quickly.

Pterodactyl, its all good! Its just that there was a thread last year about plugging and it was like an oil thread :)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
P-man,

I'd order that tire ahead of time in case it takes a while to come in like last year. It took forever last year, but OTOH, the front I ordered in the FEB. timeframe came in quickly.

Pterodactyl, its all good! Its just that there was a thread last year about plugging and it was like an oil thread :)
And the problem with plugging is? :P
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
P-man,

I'd order that tire ahead of time in case it takes a while to come in like last year. It took forever last year, but OTOH, the front I ordered in the FEB. timeframe came in quickly.

Pterodactyl, its all good! Its just that there was a thread last year about plugging and it was like an oil thread :)
And the problem with plugging is? :P
And the problem with plugging is? :P
Next up: Torguta :D
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
P-man,

I'd order that tire ahead of time in case it takes a while to come in like last year. It took forever last year, but OTOH, the front I ordered in the FEB. timeframe came in quickly.

Pterodactyl, its all good! Its just that there was a thread last year about plugging and it was like an oil thread :)
And the problem with plugging is? :P
And the problem with plugging is? :P
Next up: Torguta :D
And the problem with plugging is? :P
Next up: Torguta :D
Right on cue ....

When I worked as an instructor I had a series of punctures. Rear 180 section BT57s at £110 a time.

After a while I conceded and went for plug repairs, about £10.

Never had an issue on the bikes or cars, it's all placebo...
 
When a tire is punctured, especially a radial tire, the core of the tire looses structural integrity due to the hole in it. With a car tire its USUALLY ok, but the chances of belt separation is greater. Because of this reason I would never ride on a plugged tire except to get it to where the tire will be changed. A flat tire would be preferable to a tire with a slipped belt to me.
take my advice, or don't. Its your call.
 
I plugged my Griso tire (and used some slime) when it got holed on a rally. Eventually replaced it after a couple thousand more miles. It was a nasty hole with some slime being flung out (very very little, but it was there) but it took a fair amount of abuse. It was a pretty new tire and I didn't really want to ditch it. New tire was $300+.

But hey, your bike, your money; you gotta do what you gotta do.

I had one hell of a time getting my wheel back on so on the advice of a couple members here the last time I removed the wheel I found a board of just the right thickness (birch stock, about 7/8ths thick) to support the tire. This made removing and installing uber easy. I also kept the chain adjusters on this time. Hung the chain off the swing arm out of the way, only had a wee bit of an issue getting the caliper back on the disk; pretty painless.
 
Quote:But hey, your bike, your money; you gotta do what you gotta do.
Quote:It's your call
Quote:it's all placebo
Good words from good men. I drive my car like a Sunday Driver, minus the hat. Even my wife complains. Plugged tyres - no worries. On the bike, cranked over and putting in a big counter steer effort, I just feel all warm and fuzzy (placebo if you like) about no discontinuities in the cords/belts.

Cheers

Is there ever a thread without drift?
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
P-man,

I'd order that tire ahead of time in case it takes a while to come in like last year. It took forever last year, but OTOH, the front I ordered in the FEB. timeframe came in quickly.

Pterodactyl, its all good! Its just that there was a thread last year about plugging and it was like an oil thread :)
And the problem with plugging is? :P
And the problem with plugging is? :P
Next up: Torguta :D
And the problem with plugging is? :P
Next up: Torguta :D
Is it just me, or did Mr T miss a golden opportunity here?
 
I set up the pitch, but he didn't swing :)
 
You did. Very well too.
 
Back
Top