Need advice on current availability of tires.

Frulk_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
So, haven’t looked around for a while at new tires for the CB1100. My RP2 on the front is shot and on the rear it still has some wear left. Thinking I’ll just replace both at the same time and also go back to stock size (narrower) on the rear. I was happy with them but their (to my knowledge) discontinued now.

What’s a currently available tire that you’re running and joe do you like them?

I need to get them soon and mounted as a good friend will be riding the CB to the annual Broken Arrow Guzzi Rally with me in July in northern Idaho.

Any feedback and/or advice is appreciated in advance.
 
Pirelli Angel GT, f/110, r/160 is today's best answer for our CBs.
Ferret, you need to chime in :cool:
 
If you want to go back to stock size, there is the Bridgestone T32.
 
I really like my Metzler Z8s and it looks like they are available on-line for around $150 from several vendors.
 
Started in 2013 with the OE Dunlop D205 (hated them), used the Bridgestone BT54 years (good tires overall, but discontinued(?)), switched to the Metzeler Z8 for 2 sets of tires (better performing than the BT54, but sides wore out fast) and I'm now half-way through a set of Bridgestone T32 (hard wearing, great performing, I love 'em). Every tire I have had on my CB1100 has been a radial in stock sizes (110-80-18, 140-70-18).
 
Nachodaddy_imp said:
I really like my Metzler Z8s and it looks like they are available on-line for around $150 from several vendors.
I have them too, good in shine and rain ... last long.
Remember to replace tubes, and buy them from the same brand / manufacturer.
 
peterbaron_imp said:
Pirelli Angel GT, f/110, r/160 is today's best answer for our CBs.
Ferret, you need to chime in :cool:

I can't confirm this, but I am planning to try the Pirelli Angel GTs next season. They look good to me, and others whonhave tried them seem to like them.
 
For what it’s worth, I purchased an OEM Bridgestone BT54 front tire last year. The problem with the BT54 is the front tire is pretty much worn out at about 4K miles. The OEM Bridgestone BT54 handles much better than the OEM Dunlop 205.
I will consider trying the Angel GTs for next tire change.
 
Thread starter
Gecko wrote in reference to the Metzlers….. “I have them too, good in shine and rain ... last long.
Remember to replace tubes, and buy them from the same brand / manufacturer.”

TUBES??
After checking what was in stock I ended up with the Angel GTs but had to go 160 again on rear.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.
 
There is a thread “Pirelli Angel GT vs Bridgestone BT 54” or something like that where I posted a pic of the Angel GTs currently on my bike with 10,300 miles on them. I also have a new pair in the garage for when these wear out. (im also running them on my NC) but they do not come in stock sizes for the CB I dont believe. I’m as pleased with them as I could be considering the PR 3’s are no longer available. A very satisfactory replacement.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Gecko wrote in reference to the Metzlers….. “I have them too, good in shine and rain ... last long.
Remember to replace tubes, and buy them from the same brand / manufacturer.”

TUBES??
After checking what was in stock I ended up with the Angel GTs but had to go 160 again on rear.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.
Gecko, I think, has a 2017 with spoked wheels.
 
Frulk_imp said:
Gecko wrote in reference to the Metzlers….. “I have them too, good in shine and rain ... last long.
Remember to replace tubes, and buy them from the same brand / manufacturer.”

TUBES??
After checking what was in stock I ended up with the Angel GTs but had to go 160 again on rear.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone.
My EX wheels aren’t “leak-tight” and require tubes, your model may not have spoked wheels ;)
 
The ferret_imp said:
There is a thread “Pirelli Angel GT vs Bridgestone BT 54” or something like that where I posted a pic of the Angel GTs currently on my bike with 10,300 miles on them. I also have a new pair in the garage for when these wear out. (im also running them on my NC) but they do not come in stock sizes for the CB I dont believe. I’m as pleased with them as I could be considering the PR 3’s are no longer available. A very satisfactory replacement.
Ferret do you mind giving me a crash course on fitting a "not stock" tire on a wheel like ours?

I've only ever used stock sizes on my bikes. I wouldn't really know how to look at a tire size and know it will or won't fit other than following the stock spec and the rim size is obvious but the other 2 numbers still confuse me.

I dont think I would mind a slightly larger tires both front and rear if it didn't cause issues? I know guys here have gone up in the rear. Not sure how that affects handling or payload limits?

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Here is a cut and paste from a Google search:

180/70R-16 : This is the number that you are looking for. The first number (180) is the width of the tire in millimeters. The second number (70) is the aspect ratio, which is the height of the sidewall. The height is 70% of the width or 126mm high.

Not mentioned in the quote above, but the 16 is the rim size.

Here is the article: Motorcycle Tire Buying Guide | ChapMoto.com
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Here is a cut and paste from a Google search:

180/70R-16 : This is the number that you are looking for. The first number (180) is the width of the tire in millimeters. The second number (70) is the aspect ratio, which is the height of the sidewall. The height is 70% of the width or 126mm high.

Not mentioned in the quote above, but the 16 is the rim size.

Here is the article: Motorcycle Tire Buying Guide | ChapMoto.com
So the first number is where guys tend to go bigger? Like throwing a fatter tire on the rear. But it will still mount on the same rim within a certain range of width I suppose?

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
First, I am not a tire expert. But yeah. I went from the 140 OEM tire to the 160 size as I couldn't get the Perilli in even a 150 width for an 18 inch rim (or wheel)

And of course you can't put too wide of tires on as you have to have room for them or rubbing will occur, and there is rim width to consider as mentioned in the article. I'm don't know what the rim width should be for a 160 tire, but they work fine for those of us who have them. And a number of members have 120 tires on the front instead of the 110 OEM size.

Now, ask about going Darkside and watch the fun. I'll be over there eating popcorn :D
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
First, I am not a tire expert. But yeah. I went from the 140 OEM tire to the 160 size as I couldn't get the Perilli in even a 150 width for an 18 inch rim (or wheel)

And of course you can't put too wide of tires on as you have to have room for them or rubbing will occur, and there is rim width to consider as mentioned in the article. I'm don't know what the rim width should be for a 160 tire, but they work fine for those of us who have them. And a number of members have 120 tires on the front instead of the 110 OEM size.

Now, ask about going Darkside and watch the fun. I'll be over there eating popcorn :D
This... ^^^

I plan on using the 160 on the back but keeping the 110 in front.

Seems to offer the best choices and most value for money.

Simple too.
 
Awesome thank you to the 3 of you that answered, next time around I might go to the 120 front and 160 rear then.

Any noticeable difference in handling, braking distance, etc?

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Back
Top