Current tire options for alloy wheels (tubeless tires)

LucienLeFranc

Running like a top
Thread starter
I searched the forum, but couldn't find any current  information regarding currently available (2026)  tubeless tire options for our 18" alloy wheels--seems like choices have narrowed drastically year after year.

If anyone can please advise what options are currently for sale here in the USA I'd be very grateful.

And also what's available globally, if there are substantially better options outside the USA? 

If there are multiple options, any thoughts which is best, weighting performance over mileage?
 
The BT46 is one option. Bridgestone also make the BT32 and BT33 which I think come in the stock sizes. Pirelli makes the Sport Demon (may not be sold in the US) and the AngelGT which, if you can get it, is an excellent tyre, although you'll have to fit a 160/60 on the rear. I'm pretty sure there's an Avon tyre that someone had — MrProfessionality maybe. I'm not sure if the Dunlop Rodmaster IV are available in the US, but they're said to be excellent. Metzler, too, makes a tyre that fits and is well regarded.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, the BT46 look like a solid option!

Since my post, I did more searching and found this:

https://www.denniskirk.com/tires/2014-honda-cb1100a-abs

The website takes your specific bike (in my case 2014 CB1100 with alloy wheels) and shows all exact tire matches (110/80-18 front and 140/70-18 rear).

According to the website, if you dont mind mixing make/model between front and rear, there's 23 different makes/models to mix/match, while if you want the same make/model on both front and rear you have these options, all in stock with next day shipping:

1) Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact Tire

2) Bridgestone Battlax BT54 Tire 

3) Bridgestone Battlax T32 Sport Touring Tire
 
Thread starter
Cormanus, Pirelli Sport Demons are also in stock here in the US, rear = 140/7-18, front 100/90-18 (instead of 110/90-18, but what's a silly mm between friends :D ).

I guess there's no CB1100 tire crisis after all.

Thanks again for the tips!
 
You're welcome, LucienLeFranc. The Sport Demon and, I think, the BT46 are cross ply tyres.
 
Thread starter
I'll check out the Angel GT's, thank you!

Given I'll be sometimes riding two-up and sometimes also with side and top cases, bias ply is probably best for me due to the extra carried weight.
.
 
[quote="Karidis" pid='274938' dateline='1783203277']
... Pirelli Angel GT Tires. The 160 will fit on the rear. If I recall the speedo will be off by 5 mph.

[/QUOTE]

Is that right, Karidis? I don't understand precisely what tyre measurements mean, but I thought 140/80 and 160/60 ended up being the same diameter meaning the speedo shouldn't be out of whack. Of course, I may well just be displaying my ignorance, but I'm a long-term user of 160/60 rear tyres and I don't think my speedo reads differently when I run 140/80s.
 
Quote:
”….The 3% rule for tires stands as one of the most important guidelines in tire replacement.  Staying within 3% of your original tire's diameter ensures both safety and optimal performance when selecting new tires. This seemingly small percentage can make the difference between proper vehicle handling and safety….”
 
Thanks for the additional information, Karidis. I stand corrected.
 
Cormanus said:
Karidis said:
... Pirelli Angel GT Tires. The 160 will fit on the rear. If I recall the speedo will be off by 5 mph.

Is that right, Karidis? I don't understand precisely what tyre measurements mean, but I thought 140/80 and 160/60 ended up being the same diameter meaning the speedo shouldn't be out of whack. Of course, I may well just be displaying my ignorance, but I'm a long-term user of 160/60 rear tyres and I don't think my speedo reads differently when I run 140/80s.

The meaning of the tires is the width and % of the sidewall height in mm.
Example: 80% of 140mm = 112mm sidewall height (from floor to rim)

This is a very helpfull calculator:
Tire Size Calculator

Tire Size Calculator
 
Thread starter
Thanks Venteuri for those links!  Better than the site I was using.

So, 140/70-18 vs. 160/60-18:

[attachment=1579]

The 160 is almost an inch wider, but height is the same for practical purposes.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260706-204741.webp
    Screenshot_20260706-204741.webp
    32.2 KB · Views: 76
Yes. I kept thinking the stock tyre was 10/80, but it isn't; it's 140/70, so the difference is. as you say, negligible.

thanks for the link to the calculator Ventueri. That's really helpful.
 
Thread starter
Actually, Kardis' brain is in better working condition than mine . :blush:

I now think it is correct that the speedo will be off.

What I failed to consider is that the 160 is meant to go on a wider rim, and so when you squeeze the tire onto the 140 rim, the tire will push the diameter outward.

Kardis had an issue posting pictures here, so he sent me info via email--Ill post it shortly.

Thanks Kardis for patiently setting me straight! :thumbsup:


[attachment=1581]

This information does make me question using a 160 on our bikes, however.

Since the 160 is squeezed onto the rim and therefore pushes the tire outward, increasing the diameter, won't that also round the profile of the tire?  A 160 tire on a 160 rim will have a different (flatter) profile that contacts the road surface than a 160 tire on a 140 rim.

If this is right, then I may stick with 140 tires as long as they are available, since a 140 tire on a 140 rim will preserve the profile that the tire designers intended. A "deformed" profile due to being on the wrong width rim maybe has a similar effect to a deformed profile due to running too low or high of tire pressure?  The contact patch might be longer and narrower on straights and would transition differently into corners?  At least other than the designer intended.

At least I think that's correct?  But my brain has failed me before (recently) so let me know if I'm off base on this.

I wonder if there's an online simulator that shows how much a tire is deformed where it contacts the road due to mismatching the rim to the tire by 20mm? Maybe it's not such a big deal.

Interested in hearing from you knowledgeable folks!
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260707-064147.webp
    Screenshot_20260707-064147.webp
    13.7 KB · Views: 80
I think this is so close that you will not notice any change, it's too close in height. I love the 160 and will buy another when this one wears out.
 
Back
Top