Need advice on clip ons

I think this bike harkens back to the UJM's of old which were made into whatever the owner wanted them to be. Left stock as they came from the factory, made into a tourer with fairing and bags, made into a chopper, made into a cafe racer with bum seat and quarter fairing. Some see this bike as a completed work of art (me for one). But others see it as a blank canvas, a good start to crafting their own vision of what the perfect bike might be.
 
Appreciate everyone's comments. I love the look of the old CR750s - perhaps that's why I think the clip-ons and 4-1 Black Yoshi RSCV are such complimentary pieces to the CB's look. I got them both for a reasonable price used. If the look results in horrible back pain, I will revert to stock handlebar.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
run-tmc_imp said:
Appreciate everyone's comments. I love the look of the old CR750s - perhaps that's why I think the clip-ons and 4-1 Black Yoshi RSCV are such complimentary pieces to the CB's look. I got them both for a reasonable price used. If the look results in horrible back pain, I will revert to stock handlebar.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey! I was wondering how the clip ons worked out for you? I was thinking of doing the same thing but I am concerned with tank clearance and riding position! I heard about the apex clip ons that can be raised up to 3in and am considering those.

Thanks
 
Hey Dubyasellors,
I’ve been really happy with the clipons for the most part. I think they look great and have endured the riding position for greater than 2,000 mi (3,200 km) rides in 5-6 days with minimal discomfort, or at least similar discomfort to OEM bars. One gripe with my Tarozzis is that they attach to the fork with a single Allen head bolt and it feels like even once you torque the heck out of that bolt, the bars can still slip a bit when you’re pulling the bike up off the kickstand, or muscling it around the garage. As you can see, the top triple clamp could use a replacement to clean up the holes left from the removal of the handlebar clamps and all the cables should be shortened. I haven’t had issues yet but am sure the brake and clutch hoses will be problematic in the future with the aggressive angles they are now bent at and the throttle was a bit finicky on the return cable until I found the sweet spot to clamp it. Once I get some more money, I want to replace the hoses with steel braided lines and will shorten cables or push slack back into the headlight bucket if possible to clean the look up. If sloppy lines are my second gripe, my third gripe is the clearance. It isn’t great as you can see in the contact and dent pics. Only affects the slowest manoeuvres when backing out of parking stalls, etc, but it’s not great. I do think I’d do it all again even with the complaints though, I think this bike looks bada** with the clipons and more aggressive stance.
64c6247d7985501aba24ac088d436cbf.jpg
fdd7b9588438902ff817f846c2a0ecaa.jpg
a8e2b64d6f3dc4a8e6b520a2897600b5.jpg
3b7ded824065ea911652216a65f2be1c.jpg
989364b62f1da94ab3fe0cf4c88a48ff.jpg
1a60e6fdb517fe2fe7a0e2f9044c7fce.jpg
0dd84c3dcd6f5855c67f95aa1304682d.jpg


The first dent pic is kind of hard without context, so I zoomed out further to capture where on the tank that dime sized dent and pin head rust point at the middle are. Probably can be resolved with a cheap rubber grommet, etc, but I have yet to add that fix. Hope this helps and encourage you to give it a try!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
domenaxe_imp said:
hi all,
new to this forum and really looking forward to getting some good advice. I thinking of installing some clip ons on my CB1100. Anyone have some suggestions on some models and any other suggestions? here is a pic of my bike.
WHAT a PIC :thumbsup:
 
run-tmc_imp said:
Hey Dubyasellors,
I’ve been really happy with the clipons for the most part. I think they look great and have endured the riding position for greater than 2,000 mi (3,200 km) rides in 5-6 days with minimal discomfort, or at least similar discomfort to OEM bars. One gripe with my Tarozzis is that they attach to the fork with a single Allen head bolt and it feels like even once you torque the heck out of that bolt, the bars can still slip a bit when you’re pulling the bike up off the kickstand, or muscling it around the garage. As you can see, the top triple clamp could use a replacement to clean up the holes left from the removal of the handlebar clamps and all the cables should be shortened. I haven’t had issues yet but am sure the brake and clutch hoses will be problematic in the future with the aggressive angles they are now bent at and the throttle was a bit finicky on the return cable until I found the sweet spot to clamp it. Once I get some more money, I want to replace the hoses with steel braided lines and will shorten cables or push slack back into the headlight bucket if possible to clean the look up. If sloppy lines are my second gripe, my third gripe is the clearance. It isn’t great as you can see in the contact and dent pics. Only affects the slowest manoeuvres when backing out of parking stalls, etc, but it’s not great. I do think I’d do it all again even with the complaints though, I think this bike looks bada** with the clipons and more aggressive stance.
64c6247d7985501aba24ac088d436cbf.jpg
fdd7b9588438902ff817f846c2a0ecaa.jpg
a8e2b64d6f3dc4a8e6b520a2897600b5.jpg
3b7ded824065ea911652216a65f2be1c.jpg
989364b62f1da94ab3fe0cf4c88a48ff.jpg
1a60e6fdb517fe2fe7a0e2f9044c7fce.jpg
0dd84c3dcd6f5855c67f95aa1304682d.jpg


The first dent pic is kind of hard without context, so I zoomed out further to capture where on the tank that dime sized dent and pin head rust point at the middle are. Probably can be resolved with a cheap rubber grommet, etc, but I have yet to add that fix. Hope this helps and encourage you to give it a try!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply run-tmc-

I also saw someone one YouTube that had his gas tank indented by a body shop to allow clearance.. not sure if that would arise any other issues but that might be a solution to the clearance. Thanks for the heads up about the cable issues!!
 
The mirrors are Napoleons. I think they are more commonly found amongst triumph riders - my buddy has the flat black version in his Bonneville. I really like them: feel well built, have lots of adjustment and hold their position well. At least with these mirrors, you have to ditch the bar end weights. What you see is just part of the mirror design. They are pretty heavy, so I think they would do at least part of the same task as the bar end weights. The clip-on/Napoleon combination does not feel buzzier than stock to me around town or at speed either.
Tom


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thanks so much! I’ll be considering them. Though they might look a little weird on my mostly stock CB. They look great with clip-ons though.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
postoak_imp said:
Is the purpose of clip-ons to increase your forward lean angle or just to look non-retro?
Yes, clip-ons increase forward lean angle, but they are actually pretty retro, as they were popular on cafe racers since the late 50s and early 60s.
Yes, clip-ons increase forward lean angle, but they are actually pretty retro, as they were popular on cafe racers since the late 50s and early 60s.
What did you replace the rear fender with !
I want to completely cut it off
 
I had clubmans on my Thruxton and loved them. I had switched to clip ons and then ultimately went back to the clubmans. They just complemented the bikes appearance and overall feel the best.

For the CB, the first thing I did was swap out the stock bars. They weren't uncomfortable at all, but I wanted something more aggressive. IMHO, the Biltwell Tracker bars offer the best of both worlds.
Huge difference between the stock bars and the Biltwells:



They clear the tank too with no problem.
 
I’m also slowly growing an idea of having clip-ins on my CB1100RS.

This is the best looking option I found so far:


I believe clip-ons will definitely fit the RS, the same as it fits Triumph Thruxton.

Also, RS’ handlebars are already low, I don’t think raised clip-ons will make much difference in terms of ergonomics.
 
mrded_imp said:
I’m also slowly growing an idea of having clip-ins on my CB1100RS.

This is the best looking option I found so far:


I believe clip-ons will definitely fit the RS, the same as it fits Triumph Thruxton.

Also, RS’ handlebars are already low, I don’t think raised clip-ons will make much difference in terms of ergonomics.
Cool end result. Definitely not for me, but I did the looks.
 
Those fully adjustable bars look really nice, I had a set of fully adjustable Daytona clip ons on my GS750E and they were very useable.

I changed out the stock bar on my 2013 model as soon as I got it. I looked at several bar options before ultimately going with a 7/8 Emgo Superbike bar. It’s got half the rise of the stocker and is flatter and wider at the ends. Also, you can flip the mounts around to move the bar a little more forward. That’s what I did, I put some pics up a few weeks ago if interested.

One thing I will say, don’t grind off the locator pegs on the hand controls like the guy in the video. They keep the controls from rotating which is pretty important especially on the throttle assembly.

I use blue painters tape on the bars before mounting the controls. Snug them up once you have them in the right position and this will leave witness marks in the tape showing where to drill. Easy peasy and done right
 
The 1st owner of my bike installed clip-ons and had the tank recessed so they wouldn't hit. I rode it that way for a few years before swapping to a 2017 tank & cb500f bar.
 
That’s a pretty novel approach although I don’t think reducing fuel quantity on a bike already with limited range is a sensible option
Other problem with clip ons is the exposed top triple with 2 big holes in it looking like it’s missing something
 
Back
Top