Need advice on CB1100RS

Thread starter
A lot of help you guys have been! You were supposed to answer with something like "absolutely you should get the new CB1100RS, everything about it is vastly superior to the 2014 model. In fact it so superior that it is no longer safe to even ride an older model. If you don't buy it you will regret it and will cry yourself to sleep every night for the rest of your life. And you will probably die."

See I could show that to my wife and perhaps even convince myself.

Yes, I know - follow your heart, which would be fine if I could just shut up my logical brain. It's not so much the money, one look in my garage shows I'm not scared of spending it, it's more the fact that I would be replacing a perfectly good motorcycle for what largely amounts to cosmetic reasons. My logical brain does not like this.

There has been a lot of changes to the new models but most are very subtle, I don't ride to the performance edge (I'm more Ferret-esque as opposed to VLJ in my riding approach, although very doubtful as skilled as either) so how much would I even notice?

But just look at it!!

Again, I guess it will come down to a split second decision when I see it, as Rocky's local dealer has one my dealer should this week as well.

Will he buy a CB1100? Will his wife believe it was his evil twin Antonio awakened from a decades long coma? Who let the dogs out?

Tune in next week for "As the CB Revs".
 
Banned_imp said:
A lot of help you guys have been! You were supposed to answer with something like "absolutely you should get the new CB1100RS, everything about it is vastly superior to the 2014 model. In fact it so superior that it is no longer safe to even ride an older model. If you don't buy it you will regret it and will cry yourself to sleep every night for the rest of your life. And you will probably die."

See I could show that to my wife and perhaps even convince myself.

Yes, I know - follow your heart, which would be fine if I could just shut up my logical brain. It's not so much the money, one look in my garage shows I'm not scared of spending it, it's more the fact that I would be replacing a perfectly good motorcycle for what largely amounts to cosmetic reasons. My logical brain does not like this.

There has been a lot of changes to the new models but most are very subtle, I don't ride to the performance edge (I'm more Ferret-esque as opposed to VLJ in my riding approach, although very doubtful as skilled as either) so how much would I even notice?

But just look at it!!

Again, I guess it will come down to a split second decision when I see it, as Rocky's local dealer has one my dealer should this week as well.

Will he buy a CB1100? Will his wife believe it was his evil twin Antonio awakened from a decades long coma? Who let the dogs out?

Tune in next week for "As the CB Revs".
I had the same dilemma when I was riding my 2013 CB1100 and 9 months later Honda announces the Deluxe. I thought about it for a whole 30 seconds before I said "Sorry brain, got to go with the heart on this one".

No Regerts (to quote the candy bar commercial)
 
Mate, it's a no brainer. Every time in my life I've let logic rule my heart I've regretted it. Go and sit on it and you'll know.
 
Besides, we need to see an RS at the rally
 
W/R I can tell you that if Honda were ever to release a CB1100 that I find more appealing than my 2013 model I'm fairly confident that I would "trade-up". While I've never been on the motorcycle merry-go-round and I'm definitely not a motorcycle serial buyer, I'm also not the best when it comes to money management (thank goodness my wife tends to keep that side of things in check). So I do mean it when I say this. But for me Honda hit it out of the park the first time around, and has to build a more appealing follow-up CB1100. But there are obviously others who feel just the opposite. If this is how the CB1100 RS strikes you then I'd say go for it. If it doesn't feel like a no-brainer (i.e. the heart wants it badly enough that nothing else matters), then ask yourself if you're only interested in the RS for the novelty of the purchase. After all, some folks here are sure to be envious of your ownership of a RS. If you feel that your CB1100 isn't sporty enough for you and the bike's handling doesn't meet your needs, then the CB1100 RS might make sense from the perspective of the left-side of the brain. On the other hand, it's still a CB1100 so it certainly isn't going to set the world on fire in terms of performance.

I know that when the CB1100 was originally released here in the States, I sure wasn't going to wait around to find out what anyone else had to say about the bike and I certainly wasn't interested whether or not anyone thought that I should buy it — it was going to be mine no matter what. Plain and simple. That was a passionate, no-brainer purchase and I've yet to regret it. In my opinion, this is the feeling that you should be shooting for.
 
Regret and fear are the twin thieves that rob us of today. I can’t believe I just wrote that. Buy the darn RS.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It would definitely be a substantial upgrade with regard to hardware and software. Honda weren't sitting on their hands for ten years. Either 2017-on model is going to be new and improved.
 
Capo_imp said:
Regret and fear are the twin thieves that rob us of today. I can’t believe I just wrote that. Buy the darn RS.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's the push you've been waiting for, lol.

Heck, if Ulvetanna could get his hands on one he might even end up hanging on to it for more than a year. ;)
 
The age of reason...(
Banned_imp said:
A lot of help you guys have been! You were supposed to answer with something like "absolutely you should get the new CB1100RS, everything about it is vastly superior to the 2014 model. In fact it so superior that it is no longer safe to even ride an older model. If you don't buy it you will regret it and will cry yourself to sleep every night for the rest of your life. And you will probably die."

See I could show that to my wife and perhaps even convince myself.

Yes, I know - follow your heart, which would be fine if I could just shut up my logical brain. It's not so much the money, one look in my garage shows I'm not scared of spending it, it's more the fact that I would be replacing a perfectly good motorcycle for what largely amounts to cosmetic reasons. My logical brain does not like this.

There has been a lot of changes to the new models but most are very subtle, I don't ride to the performance edge (I'm more Ferret-esque as opposed to VLJ in my riding approach, although very doubtful as skilled as either) so how much would I even notice?

But just look at it!!

Again, I guess it will come down to a split second decision when I see it, as Rocky's local dealer has one my dealer should this week as well.

Will he buy a CB1100? Will his wife believe it was his evil twin Antonio awakened from a decades long coma? Who let the dogs out?

Tune in next week for "As the CB Revs".
But just look at her!
I know of a guy that said that when we were in high school and spent the rest of his life in utmost misery. (On the other hand, it is relatively easy to get rid of a gorgeous motorcycle).

The age of reason: when resisting a temptation releases just as much dopamine as does succumbing to it.

(If there was no one left around here to advocate for reason, what would this forum look like... :)
 
Here's another thought...

W/R, you could always do what I did. I wanted to swap my XSR for the CB or Triumph. This made the most financial sense to my prudent mind. Once I came to realize that this wasn't possible, however, I had to switch to Plan B, which was to rationalize to myself why it would be okay to go ahead and buy the CB or Triumph anyway, while keeping the XSR.

And that's what I ended up doing. Ultimately, I wanted a '17 CB1100 EX so badly that I was able to convince myself of practically anything in order to justify getting that beautiful red bike.

The mind and heart working together are pretty awesome that way. Give the heart enough incentive, and the mind can be talked into just about anything!

So, yep, keep your current CB. Have Samurider build you a larger tank in whatever color/paint scheme you desire. Pop for some new suspension. Bam. Your problems with your CB will be solved, and you'll feel good about being faithful to your trusty steed. You won't have to deal with any guilty feelings over dumping her, when she didn't deserve to be dumped.

Your prudent mind will be satisfied. Justice will have prevailed.

Next, go ahead and buy the RS anyway. Make your lust-filled heart happy.

Think of this as Moto Utah. You can have multiple wives, guilt-free, so have at it!
 
Banned_imp said:
A lot of help you guys have been! You were supposed to answer with something like "absolutely you should get the new CB1100RS, everything about it is vastly superior to the 2014 model. In fact it so superior that it is no longer safe to even ride an older model. If you don't buy it you will regret it and will cry yourself to sleep every night for the rest of your life. And you will probably die."

See I could show that to my wife and perhaps even convince myself.

Yes, I know - follow your heart, which would be fine if I could just shut up my logical brain. It's not so much the money, one look in my garage shows I'm not scared of spending it, it's more the fact that I would be replacing a perfectly good motorcycle for what largely amounts to cosmetic reasons. My logical brain does not like this.

There has been a lot of changes to the new models but most are very subtle, I don't ride to the performance edge (I'm more Ferret-esque as opposed to VLJ in my riding approach, although very doubtful as skilled as either) so how much would I even notice?

But just look at it!!

Again, I guess it will come down to a split second decision when I see it, as Rocky's local dealer has one my dealer should this week as well.

Will he buy a CB1100? Will his wife believe it was his evil twin Antonio awakened from a decades long coma? Who let the dogs out?

Tune in next week for "As the CB Revs".
Here's some help for your logical brain :excited:

 
Thanks for that link F800GT. Took me to a great rendition of Give a Little Bit.
 
Banned_imp said:
A lot of help you guys have been! You were supposed to answer with something like "absolutely you should get the new CB1100RS, everything about it is vastly superior to the 2014 model. In fact it so superior that it is no longer safe to even ride an older model. If you don't buy it you will regret it and will cry yourself to sleep every night for the rest of your life. And you will probably die."

See I could show that to my wife and perhaps even convince myself.

Yes, I know - follow your heart, which would be fine if I could just shut up my logical brain. It's not so much the money, one look in my garage shows I'm not scared of spending it, it's more the fact that I would be replacing a perfectly good motorcycle for what largely amounts to cosmetic reasons. My logical brain does not like this.

There has been a lot of changes to the new models but most are very subtle, I don't ride to the performance edge (I'm more Ferret-esque as opposed to VLJ in my riding approach, although very doubtful as skilled as either) so how much would I even notice?

But just look at it!!

Again, I guess it will come down to a split second decision when I see it, as Rocky's local dealer has one my dealer should this week as well.

Will he buy a CB1100? Will his wife believe it was his evil twin Antonio awakened from a decades long coma? Who let the dogs out?

Tune in next week for "As the CB Revs".
Not so. Before VLJ bought his bike I fully expected he would find the 2017 to be far better in the handling and suspension department, and his assessment was just what I figured on.

The 2013-14, no matter what we do to them, forks, shocks, incantations, will never work the way the '17 onward do. Frame, swingarm, steering head, fork offset, all the little bits and pieces that go into that bike add up to a different motorcycle. The only thing really similar about them are the looks.

I do think the spoked wheels on the EX are lighter than the cast wheels on previous models, which also would tend to help handling and suspension. You're looking at an RS, of course, with cast wheels, but weight saved elsewhere.

Either the EX or RS is going to be quite different than previous models. A much more solid handful of motorcycle for those who are looking for a change.

I have expressed an interest in a 2017-onward and still have that interest. I believe Honda have addressed all the concerns I had with the previous version. At any level of riding those are going to be very obvious.

Riding well means getting back into the garage in one piece, mostly, not being the fastest guy out there. No matter whether you think you ride like the Ferret (don't underestimate that guy, btw) or like someone else who's banging shifts off the rev limiter (yes, I admit it) the real goal is control and the newer version will feel better in the hands of any rider.

Like I said, Honda has not been sitting on its hands for ten years. They know what they are about.
 
I've been riding my RS since May 17 and it's clocking 18,500km. So far could not be happier with what the RS has performed in terms of engine smoothness, acelleration, handling...
Couple things i think the RS has outperformed the previous version (my own judgement) are:
- The beefer front SDBV suspension work so gook and look so nice
- Slipper clutch make it a lighter when pulling and reduce hopping of rear wheel when you need quick downshifting
- Bigger swing arms with fatter rear tire make it look more muscular
- Dual exhaust is a plus with somebody but a minus with the other. That could be fixed with an aftermarket full system such as over racing or Ruyjin Special, which you can find tons of sound clip on youtube.
- The new front brake with radial caliper works provides solid braking
- And of course, it looks very cool and eye catching :) Notice this through side mirror :)

Banned_imp said:
Ok, I'm in desperate need of some advice.

My local dealer is getting a 2018 CB1100RS in shortly and I have first dibs on it, that's where my problem starts. I love my 2014 model and I'm not sure if it's worth it to me to trade it in for a new one, unlike some here I have never been on the motorcycle merry-go-round and generally keep my motorcycles for a long time (in 32 years I have owned 7 street bikes, I still have 3 of them and bought 2 of those last year), I just hate losing money that way.

But the RS is very tempting. What I like about is the upgraded suspension, more fuel capacity for longer range and just overall the muscular look with the fatter wheels. What I don't like is the 4-2 exhaust and I wish it was any colour other than black.

Now the 2014, the only three things I don't like are the seat (fixed with a Daytona seat), suspension (could be upgraded) and fuel capacity. So basically the only thing that can't be fixed is the fuel capacity but I didn't buy my CB for touring, that is what the Ulysses is for, so I guess it's kind of a moot point.

I'm also cognizant of the sporadic importation of the CB1100 to North America and realize this may be the only chance I get for the RS.

HELP:excited:
 
Thread starter
Ok, you guys convinced me - my heart is going to punch my logical brain in the face and tell to it shut the heck up.

So this morning I went the bike shop fully prepared to purchase the RS if my heart told me to.....

I forgot that the shop is closed on Monday during the winter.
 
Banned_imp said:
Ok, you guys convinced me - my heart is going to punch my logical brain in the face and tell to it shut the heck up.

So this morning I went the bike shop fully prepared to purchase the RS if my heart told me to.....

I forgot that the shop is closed on Monday during the winter.
Hahahaaa...not at you as they say...I can't count the times I've done that.
 
Banned_imp said:
Ok, you guys convinced me - my heart is going to punch my logical brain in the face and tell to it shut the heck up.

So this morning I went the bike shop fully prepared to purchase the RS if my heart told me to.....

I forgot that the shop is closed on Monday during the winter.
:rofl: RATS!
 
Banned_imp said:
Ok, you guys convinced me - my heart is going to punch my logical brain in the face and tell to it shut the heck up.

So this morning I went the bike shop fully prepared to purchase the RS if my heart told me to.....

I forgot that the shop is closed on Monday during the winter.
This is sounding more encouraging, you've already committed an unexplainable act of passion as a result of the CB1100 RS. Maybe you are on the right track. :D
 
Thread starter
What an absolutely gorgeous bike, Honda really nailed it with the RS. I can honestly say that IMO this is the best looking 2018 model motorcycle available. I have not yet seen the Z900RS in person but I can't imagine it being nicer than this. I love it.

It's just not the bike for me. At least not right now.

As soon as I sat on it I knew I was screwed, I can't reach the bars. Of course it's only been 3 months since my surgery so I may be able to reach them once I heal more but I'm not going to gamble on it.

I suppose I could buy it and change the bars and seat but that just seems wrong to me. To me the RS is not retro at all (which is fine, I was never looking for retro, just a standard bike) and the aftermarket seats all have a retro feel to them and just wouldn't look right. The same with higher bars, they wouldn't do the bike justice.

I'll see how my back is at the end of the summer and if all is good and they still have the bike I'll make it happen then.

I know I've let you all down.

Will I still be welcome at the rally or has my open invitation been rescinded?
 
Back
Top