Need advice on CB1100RS

Banned_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Ok, I'm in desperate need of some advice.

My local dealer is getting a 2018 CB1100RS in shortly and I have first dibs on it, that's where my problem starts. I love my 2014 model and I'm not sure if it's worth it to me to trade it in for a new one, unlike some here I have never been on the motorcycle merry-go-round and generally keep my motorcycles for a long time (in 32 years I have owned 7 street bikes, I still have 3 of them and bought 2 of those last year), I just hate losing money that way.

But the RS is very tempting. What I like about is the upgraded suspension, more fuel capacity for longer range and just overall the muscular look with the fatter wheels. What I don't like is the 4-2 exhaust and I wish it was any colour other than black.

Now the 2014, the only three things I don't like are the seat (fixed with a Daytona seat), suspension (could be upgraded) and fuel capacity. So basically the only thing that can't be fixed is the fuel capacity but I didn't buy my CB for touring, that is what the Ulysses is for, so I guess it's kind of a moot point.

I'm also cognizant of the sporadic importation of the CB1100 to North America and realize this may be the only chance I get for the RS.

HELP:excited:
 
My only suggestion is to put down the spec sheet and follow your heart. None of our bikes were rational purchases. If the '18 really moves you, then you owe it to yourself to listen to your heart and jump in. If you find yourself rationalizing the purchase on monetary means, or regretting that you're financially upside-down on your '14, then I'd be reluctant to proceed.

In a month from now, I think you'd forget about the money and instead be thrilled you followed your heart and bought a bike that inspired passion. If, instead, you think you'd stare at your bank statement and kick yourself for buying the bike, well, I think you know the answer. Good luck.
 
You could always go the Samurider route to get a larger fuel tank that looks even cooler than your stock '14 tank. Along with some suspension upgrades, you'd have everything you want. These two mods will cost you a fair chunk of change, but nothing like the the big bucks you'll have to spend on the new bike that's painted a color you don't like.
 
What is it about people asking for advice that means we all feel the need to weigh in?

W/R, the two gentlemen above have offered excellent advice: if you can afford it and you want it, test which way the scales of regret will tip if you buy it and make your decision. LongRanger is right, forget the spec sheet.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
What is it about people asking for advice that means we all feel the need to weigh in?

W/R, the two gentlemen above have offered excellent advice: if you can afford it and you want it, test which way the scales of regret will tip if you buy it and make your decision. LongRanger is right, forget the spec sheet.
Kind of the whole point of a message board forum, innit?
 
Banned_imp said:
Ok, I'm in desperate need of some advice.

My local dealer is getting a 2018 CB1100RS in shortly and I have first dibs on it, that's where my problem starts. I love my 2014 model and I'm not sure if it's worth it to me to trade it in for a new one, unlike some here I have never been on the motorcycle merry-go-round and generally keep my motorcycles for a long time (in 32 years I have owned 7 street bikes, I still have 3 of them and bought 2 of those last year), I just hate losing money that way.

But the RS is very tempting. What I like about is the upgraded suspension, more fuel capacity for longer range and just overall the muscular look with the fatter wheels. What I don't like is the 4-2 exhaust and I wish it was any colour other than black.

Now the 2014, the only three things I don't like are the seat (fixed with a Daytona seat), suspension (could be upgraded) and fuel capacity. So basically the only thing that can't be fixed is the fuel capacity but I didn't buy my CB for touring, that is what the Ulysses is for, so I guess it's kind of a moot point.

I'm also cognizant of the sporadic importation of the CB1100 to North America and realize this may be the only chance I get for the RS.

HELP:excited:
As cb1100 evolved since it was first sold on this continent, I perceived only two substantial improvements:

- six gear transmission
- improved tank capacity

Everything else was either inconsequential or even detrimental. Specifically, I much dislike exhaust pot on the left side of the bike and the inner tube tire wheels and am therefore not in a position to objectively comment on 2018s.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
My only suggestion is to put down the spec sheet and follow your heart. None of our bikes were rational purchases. If the '18 really moves you, then you owe it to yourself to listen to your heart and jump in. If you find yourself rationalizing the purchase on monetary means, or regretting that you're financially upside-down on your '14, then I'd be reluctant to proceed.

In a month from now, I think you'd forget about the money and instead be thrilled you followed your heart and bought a bike that inspired passion. If, instead, you think you'd stare at your bank statement and kick yourself for buying the bike, well, I think you know the answer. Good luck.
What are you waiting for? We can't even get that bike here. I'd snap that bike up instantly. Heed Long Ranger's advice and just get it already. And then we can all be envious.

As far as the spec sheet part of it, you must've read up on it, but to reiterate the major points:

-2017 onward have a different frame, swingarm, and suspension components, and the RS has an aluminium swingarm. So it is not the same bike as 2013-14.

-Overall gearing is lower due to the smaller diameter wheels, so has (according to Honda) about 3% stronger acceleration.

-Bike sits a tad lower to the ground and has a shorter wheelbase and tighter rake/trail for sportier handling.

-Looks awesome.

-Looks awesome.
Cormanus_imp said:
What is it about people asking for advice that means we all feel the need to weigh in?

W/R, the two gentlemen above have offered excellent advice: if you can afford it and you want it, test which way the scales of regret will tip if you buy it and make your decision. LongRanger is right, forget the spec sheet.
Hear, hear! Technologically speaking, it is an improved motorcycle (find the Donington Park video of the guy tearing it up on an RS elsewhere on this site). The appearance is subjective.
 
Thread starter
I forgot to ask my main question: Do all of the updates to the 2017+ models add up to a substantially better bike? Ulvetanna answered that one for me. And yes, it looks very awesome.

I too prefer the looks of the 2014 DLX tank to the 2017, I wasn't aware that Samurider was selling them - might be an option. If he offered them in Blue Spencer Pearl I would have one.

I can get over the black, I love black but already have a black (and red) motorcycle so I would like something different. I really dislike the 4-2 exhaust, I mean really.

It will come down to how I feel when I see it, I'm just waiting for the dealer to call.

For any following the other thread, price in Canada for the CB1100RS is confirmed at $13,699.

Thanks everyone.
 
Ulvetanna Wrote:As far as the spec sheet part of it, you must've read up on it, but to reiterate the major points:

-2017 onward have a different frame, swingarm, and suspension components, and the RS has an aluminium swingarm. So it is not the same bike as 2013-14.

-Overall gearing is lower due to the smaller diameter wheels, so has (according to Honda) about 3% stronger acceleration.

-Bike sits a tad lower to the ground and has a shorter wheelbase and tighter rake/trail for sportier handling.

-Looks awesome.

-Looks awesome.
The RS is so good-looking, it needed to be said twice!

:D :D :D
 
On a lark, I sold my 2010 V7 Cafe Classic and replaced it with a 2011 V7 Classic. I knew I'd take a bath on the 2010 but never ruled that into my decision. The 2010 and 2011 were the exact same bike but I preferred the non-cafe ergos of the 2011. It just felt right. I never regretted the decision.

Now backtrack ten years earlier. I bought a new '00 SV650 and loved it, but when the '01 SV650S came to the U.S., I knew that I had to have it. Same exact bike but with slightly different (and neglible) gearing, a sexy fairing, low bars, and a better dash. Again, the fact I was going to take a loss on the '00 was inconsequential to my decision -- I had to have that S model. On paper, it was irrational, but I never regretted my decision for a moment. Follow your heart and you'll have few regrets.
 
W/R:
(1) YOLO
(2) caskets don’t have pockets
(3) never saw a hearse pulling a U-haul

PS. I see you moved on from the Corbin to a Daytona :0)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
mtneers_imp said:
W/R:
(1) YOLO
(2) caskets don’t have pockets
(3) never saw a hearse pulling a U-haul

PS. I see you moved on from the Corbin to a Daytona :0)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey Ron,
All very good points, I shall take them under advisement.:thanks:

After you saying the Daytona seat was so much better I had to try it. It feels pretty good but I won't know until spring for sure. I'm keeping the Corbin with the sissy bar for when the wife goes with me and from what I understand the seats are interchangeable between years should I get the RS.
 
If you can afford it, then i'd say this:

Life is too short to stick around with the same bikes. While you can still ride, go for it.
 
Google "hearse pulling U-Hall" and another item on your bucket list will be checked off. :D

From what I've read here the 2017 model is different enough to justify owning both bikes (OK, for this audience that is a pretty low bar). I would only consider it a mistake if the ergo's were really bad.

Indeed life is short; that either means go for it, the only regret you'll have is NOT doing it. Or it means you should not waste your time on this earth on something as stupid as motorcycles. :D

I'm having a bit of a pickle myself, wondering if I should pull the trigger on the 2017 EX. I like the 4 into 2 (not as much as the 4 into 4!) but things like the cast brake lever and shift lever are a couple steps back from the 2013. I'd like a 6 speed. I love spokes, but not tubed tires. It's a lot of money for someone that simply does not ride enough in a year to justify the expense - and I have three bikes already. Gah. Instead of a bike I probably should get a 4x4 of some sort to explore the AZ desert.

PS: The 2013/14 do look better than the 2017, but it's apples and oranges.

Good luck with your decision.
 
I've not ridden an EX18" wheel CB11 but I do own the CB1100RS. My guess from riding mine and reading the internet reviews of the EX and RS is that the RS will feel significantly different to ride compared to your current CB. I believe it needs more muscle input to get it to turn, that's not a massive input like an old Laverda needs but just different. However this effort fits the bikes persona perfectly imo. I think the RS is the best looking of all the (tiring to avoid retro as these are std style bikes forgotton by bike manufactures) RETRO! bikes (argh, perhaps its a musclebike?) available new now. And its authentic as it still uses the original engineering principles (noting they cant resurrect carburetters due to emissions) , unlike the Kwaka Z900rs, even Trumpets have gone watercooled, so that just leaves BMW R9 range and possible Ducati Scrambler (ugh, too much coffeeshop styling) as alternatives (to EX,RS). Oops slight drift in response there. So to summaries if your heart says yes to the RS just frigging get it. Trying to use your head in these matters often misses the real needs of bike purchase, its not a tumble dryer/washing machine etc. :)
 
Macduff_imp said:
I've not ridden an EX18" wheel CB11 but I do own the CB1100RS. My guess from riding mine and reading the internet reviews of the EX and RS is that the RS will feel significantly different to ride compared to your current CB. I believe it needs more muscle input to get it to turn, that's not a massive input like an old Laverda needs but just different. However this effort fits the bikes persona perfectly imo. I think the RS is the best looking of all the (tiring to avoid retro as these are std style bikes forgotton by bike manufactures) RETRO! bikes (argh, perhaps its a musclebike?) available new now. And its authentic as it still uses the original engineering principles (noting they cant resurrect carburetters due to emissions) , unlike the Kwaka Z900rs, even Trumpets have gone watercooled, so that just leaves BMW R9 range and possible Ducati Scrambler (ugh, too much coffeeshop styling) as alternatives (to EX,RS). Oops slight drift in response there. So to summaries if your heart says yes to the RS just frigging get it. Trying to use your head in these matters often misses the real needs of bike purchase, its not a tumble dryer/washing machine etc. :)
:rofl:
 
An RS has arrived at my local dealer and I went over to take a look at it in person.
It's probably just me, but when I saw it, it didn't make me smile like my '14 Spencer blue does.
In spite of all the improvements, I'm not moved to part with my CB. Too much black and the stripe treatment on the gas tank doesn't hold any appeal for me.
I'm quite happy to remain in my comfortable rut with my '14 :D :D :D
That said, I would be interested in reading about the impressions by any RS owners.
 
Rocky_imp said:
An RS has arrived at my local dealer and I went over to take a look at it in person.
It's probably just me, but when I saw it, it didn't make me smile like my '14 Spencer blue does.
In spite of all the improvements, I'm not moved to part with my CB. Too much black and the stripe treatment on the gas tank doesn't hold any appeal for me.
I'm quite happy to remain in my comfortable rut with my '14 :D :D :D
That said, I would be interested in reading about the impressions by any RS owners.
Sometimes pictures and editorial test rides lead us in the wrong direction.

Did you sit on it and grab the handle grips?

After a 25 hiatus from motorcycling, I went into the local Honda Dealer to buy a CBR500R. A beautiful looking motorcycle decked out in a tri-colour paint scheme.

The moment I squeezed my 6'2" 225 pound frame behind the fairing and grabbed the grips, I realized this was not the bike for me.

However I did enjoy every one of the 33,000 kilometers I rode on my CB500XA over the next three summers.
 
Back
Top