Need a suggestion for a GoPro helmet mount

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Hi all,

I've been pondering a riding camera for quite some time, especially after my unfortunate incident earlier this year. I've been wrestling with what to buy.

To shut me up about my incessant whining about cameras, my wife just purchased a Hero 8 for me, since Itchy Boots uses one, and my wife loves her videos. Plus, we can also use it for our vacation adventures, and I can stick it on my car for autocross and track days.

It will be coming in a few days, so now that my camera decision has been made, I need to mount it to my helmet, most likely in the chin position. I don't need advice about where to mount a camera. Just looking for advice from anyone who has used a chin-mount for a GoPro, and can tell me what mounts might be the best choices.

Thanks!
 
Just something practical and showing what does not work with a chin mount;

What i found important is to be able to see the red recording led and not interfering with the visor opening.
Getting the horizon correct is also a bonus, congrats with your wife's choice of camera!
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Max! That looks very interesting. I have used a camera mounted on top of my helmet before, but didn't really like the video it produced.
 
Thread starter
I was looking at that one, Satchit. Looks practical - does the part that clamps inside the helmet touch your chin at all?
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I was looking at that one, Satchit. Looks practical - does the part that clamps inside the helmet touch your chin at all?
No contact with the chin for me. The inner clamping surface is around 5 mm thick. The inner clamping surface is shaped like a straight shoe horn with the convex side on the helmet.
I can get the clip outside to touch my chest just below the neck if I try. Never had that happen while I ride.
I removed the chin curtain on my Schuberth SR2, but I could clamp it over the chin curtain too - the chin curtain would be folded/crushed if I did this.
 
Thread starter
Very cool. That would make it easy to rotate between my various helmets and only have one mount!
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the added suggestions. I realized my dilemma this morning. My main helmet, a Scorpion 420, is really not well suited for a center-front camera mount. The latch and pull-down for the visor is in the middle. Riding to work this morning, I was pulling the visor up and down as needed with my left hand, and imagined that if a camera were in the center chin position, it would block my hand from working the visor.

The top of the helmet has a ridge down the center, so a top-mount would have to be crooked. I'm going to mount it to the right of center on the front as best I can, so that my left hand will be free to work the visor. I ordered the GoPro connectors, and will go at it when they arrive.

(Dig my Martini Racing stickers!)
 
Wow that has a lot of wind catching pockets. You'd think it would be noisy. Neat looking helmet though
 
Thread starter
Yeah... it's a helmet that I "hate to love". When Scorpion released it and said that it was engineered for, basically, American Fat Heads, I was interested. I didn't like any of the graphic packages it was offered in, so I got plain white and put stickers on it. I didn't like the center release for the visor, and still don't love it, but it's not too annoying. It's a weird shape. The front looks like the bow of a speed boat, and yes, it does create some lift at speed.

But, it is really comfortable on me. It's not too loud. And at about 70, the lift is just enough that it comfortably keeps your head up and pointed straight, without trying to tear itself off of your head. I missed out on a stars-and-stripes design that went on clearance, that was the only design I wouldn't mind having if I wanted another one of these.
 
Thread starter
No, but I wish it did. I bought an Exo-420, and and Exo-320, both in plain white as my new helmets last year. I thought they were boring, so I went on Esty and bought a bunch of Martini decals for one, and a bunch of Gulf decals for the other. At least the 320 isn't shaped like a Boston Whaler, and I could stick a GoPro mound right on its nose.
 
Just bought my GoPro 7 Black and am experimenting with various Ram handle bar and mirror mounts. Getting ready to try helmet mounts. Not sure what will work best but I have assortment including backup leashs
70080aebf3051584d893f30686bdb696.png



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Have fun, Bflint, and let us know what you come up with. I have a free day tomorrow, and it's supposed to be about 108 degrees in my neighborhood. Too hot to go on a fun ride, so I'm thinking of bunkering in the garage and fiddling with GoPro stuff.

For a motorcycle mount, I was thinking about fabbing up mirror mount platforms for my bikes tomorrow, but on the CB, with the flat tops on the clutch and brake fluid reservoir, my thought is turning to just sticking a flat mount plate on one of those.

Here's my Scorpion 320 home-made "Gulf Edition", made with Etsy decals like my Martini helmet. The 320 has a much more basic style, and plenty of open space under the chin vent, so it was easy to slap a GoPro mount plate under the vent.

The 320 is Scorpion's cheapest entry-level helmet right now, but it's a remake of their older 410 model, which was one of the most comfortable helmets I've ever worn. To make it "cheap", they eliminated their anti-fog film inside the visor. I'm definitely getting another one of these, but again, I don't like any of the graphics, so it will be another plain one. I'm thinking of going with Jim Goose graphics from Mad Max.
 
Thread starter
Update on fitting a camera on my weirdly shaped helmet. As much as I'd like it out front, I paid attention to what my left hand does to open and shut the visor. Since it's a center-grab visor, to shut it, I put my thumb under the front edge of the helmet and squeeze down on the latch until it clicks. So, my whole hand is regularly in front of this lid, and any object near the front would be in the way.

This worked well for the ride in this morning on the Bonneville, and it's not ideal but should fit the bill. Next job is to put a camera mount on top of my brake master cylinder. Will be interesting to see what the perspective looks like from there.
 
does it pull you to the right? lol
 
Thread starter
I really thought it would pull, but I got up to 85 in a few spots on my commute this morning to cross from the car pool lane to my exit, and it really didn't. And, it didn't seem to add to buffeting or noise, which was a pleasant surprise.
 
Back
Top