More Redneck 3D Printing

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
In the past, I have made my own custom-fit GoPro chin mounts for my helmets by using JB Water Weld putty pressed into the front of the helmet to get a custom fit. The standard flat or curved camera mount plates won't securely attach to the chin of a helmet that has a highly sculptured surface.

I've made a few so far and each time, I figured that someday someone would make it easy by just offering 3D-printed camera mounts custom fit to different helmets that you could order from a website. I just got my new Scorpion 491 from Chromeburner, and it has quite a complicated chin shape.

Well, Chin Mounts - Best Motorcycle & MTB Helmet Mounts For GoPro & Insta360 has come along and answered that need, making it easy to just order custom-fitted camera mounts.

But... they cost $35 a piece, and I have a stack of flat camera mounts and plenty of JB Water Weld in my tool box.
 
That’s fantastic! Having never heard of JB waterweld putty before, I actually did purchase a 3-D printed mount from chinmounts.com over the winter. Your solution looks equally professional after the black paint!
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Steve. I'm super cheap... Somehow I think I'd feel guilty buying something that I could make. Don't know whether that's a curse or a blessing.
 
A little of both, probably! I had previously tried using really thick 3M foam adhesive strips, but they didn’t conform well enough to stay fully attached. I never considered looking for any putty-like products.

Since my Sena adhesive mount encounters a similar problem, I’ll give the JB waterweld a try for it! Thanks for the tip.
 
Nice job, Gone.
 
Thread starter
I felt crafty again today, and made a chin mount for my new HX1. A bit more challenging due to its very sculpted nose.
 
You’re good at that, Gone. Nice work.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Cormanus. I haven't done bodywork on a car in quite a few years. I guess bodywork on camera mounts is the substitute.
 
Nice stormtrooper helmet upgrade, Gone.

Popgun would be proud (oh wait, "Ring" or the "Force" ... confusing).


But seriously, I would use that GoPro mount. Solid.
 
Back
Top