NC700X

the_undecider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I am really starting to like the Honda NC700X. On paper, it seems a little boring in terms of specs, power, and handling, but the moto journalists seem to like it's character. I am attracted to the nifty integrated storage and the DCT/ABS model. It seriously has me selling my commuter car and using the NC as a DD. I have my pickup if I need to roll in a cage.

I am curious how reliable/durable that automated manual shift trans would be. Anybody have any experience with this one?
 
The Ferret took one for a ride. See here.
 
It was a manual and not a DCT..but it's a Honda and this is not there first time sailing the river with a dct.
 
I concur with Ferret, I rented one in SoCal earlier this year (manual). Took to the Angeles Creat and it handled, rode, and generally acquitted itself admirably. Did so as well in the LA urban jungle. A fine Swiss Army bike.
 
I gave this model quite a bit of consideration, but I happened to be at the Honda dealer the day the 2014 CB1100's arrived and then it was no contest :D
 
I don't like the "beak" on those adventure bikes.. I know it's a shallow thing but I don't think I could ever buy a bike with that on it.
I might have read a rumor that they'd be bringing the NC750S to the US soon.. would be pretty interesting!
 
I bought a NC700X, red, 2013 model. It was an alright bike, don't get me wrong. But it just did not have the power I needed when 2 up riding. I did a few modifications to it to try to tailor it more to my liking, without much success. I was hopeful they would bump the CC up (which they did just not in the US)..

2014 Honda got it together and listened, and gave the CB1100 a 6th gear, gear indicator, and MPG. It was a no brainer for me at that point. Traded it in, done.
 
Thread starter
I finally got to ride the DCT equipped NC today. I almost bought it and I still might. The price is right, but the timing is bad. That's a whole separate issue...

I really like the bike. The DCT saps any fun out of riding while in drive mode, but is pretty responsive and holds revs well in sport mode. Found some fresh gravel and was amazed how stable the ABS was (never ridden a bike with it and been able to test it out).

Handling is surprisingly quick despite the weight and wheelbase. Low center of gravity helps. We're it not for a loose throttle cable causing jerky on/off throttle transitions, it would have been a lot of fun in the tight stuff.

As expected, power isn't the bike's strong suit. I could see how 2 - up would tax the engine. The bike I road was loaded with side and top boxes, so that was another 30 lbs added.

I am really considering the purchase if I can make the finances work. It would be an interesting contrast to the CB1100.
 
Thread starter
I figured I would bring this thread back from the dead. I never purchased the 2013 DCT ABS NC700X, but I rode a 2012 manual version home to see what it was like. This one was just traded in with 58,000 miles, all by the original owner. It still runs like a top. It's got a ton of farkles, too. I'm considering it because I can pick it up cheap.

It would be a great beater back and forth to work, not worry about the sun fading it, etc. Plenty of power for around town and does ok on the highway.

My BMW 1200GS is awesome, but completely overkill for my use. I could easily pocket several thousand dollars by getting rid of it.

 
My view of the NC700: Perfectly functional, Perfectly logical, Probably perfect quality, Perfectly boring. (while there's absolutely nothing wrong with it...And a a lot that's right) It's like buying a Toyota Corolla. Perfectly fine??
 
A 2013 was my first bike. Rode it to Key West and to Deals Gap. Traded it for my CB. Not one day goes by that I don't wish I would've kept it. Perfect commuter, town, beach, errands bike and OH HOW I MISS THAT FRUNK!! :(

 
I'm another that really likes this bike. Would be a perfect "second" bike for running errands and exploring the local graded dirt roads.
 
Thread starter
This would be perfect for commuting 17 miles each way on mostly secondary and back roads with 45-55 mph speed limits. It's already set up with all the goodies, just needs tires. Really enjoyed it on my way to work this morning. It is a little boring, but it certainly doesn't offend in any way.
 
I spent ten days with a NC750X (non-DCT) in Sicily last year. The bike had a fairly low redline (5200 rpm?) and was generally uninspiring. I had a great trip but the bike was underwhelming. The OE heated grips were really impressive!
 
Back
Top