Nail in rear tire.

meowguy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Can this nail in my rear tire be safely repaired or must I replace the tire?

If it can be repaired , what do I need exactly.

Thanks for your help? Jim
6a5ecea4efa2671bc279c7f61e280e66.jpg



Crashing is simply an opportunity to upgrade. Posted using Tapatalk.
 
There are strong opinions on both sides of this, but to me with a moto tire I would replace it. You can repair it as a stop gap solution until you get a new tire, but I wouldn't leave it there. These are radial tires and as such you now have a damaged steel belt that is more prone to failure due to the damage. I just can't justify the risk. You can get a new tire for about $125 + mounting and that's a steal compared to risking your life and having a tire fail unexpectedly be it a blow out or just the belt shifting on you while either at highway speed or worse going at it hard in the twisties and causing you to either low side or high side.

My $.02
 
I had a flat in my rear tire at 364 miles and felt the same as the previous post. Replace the tire .
Tires are cheap compared with hospital bills, why take the risk.
 
I got a nail in mine last year with around 300 or so miles. This was when the tires were on backorder. I plugged it until the tire came it, but haven't mounted it yet. It has 1300 miles with the plug, but all at 45-50mph. For a highway trip, I'd have it changed.

Not getting into the change/plug wars. Bad as the oil wars!
 
Since this is a nail and near the center tread, I would dismount the tire and patch it from the inside. Most dealers will not do this because of the reasons already stated. I would do the repair myself and use the zip tie method to remount.

Or I would use this as an excuse to buy a set of Pilot Road 3 Michelins.
 
meowguy_imp said:
I'd like to just get it to the dealer 13 miles away.
I've plugged tires just so I could get the bike to service. I echo others who would not choose to do any more than that on a compromised tire.
 
^If you're only trying to get to the dealer, no need to dismount the tire. Either push a gum plug into it, or, if you're feeling really anxious, just push the nail all the way in and be on your way.

Either method will gladly give you the 13 miles you're looking for, and much more if needed.
 
Good: Mushroom plug would probably work fine on that one. Skinny nail, not that bad.
Better: Or a patch on the inside. Easy. But, if you have any lack of confidence regarding either of those, Best: a new tire :)
 
I had mine catch a nail near the center on the rear tire with low miles. I have always patched my own tire from the inside with a large patch from Slime Patch kit. Leave it over night to fully cure but normally cures in a couple of hours. Now, they have tire patch kits that are a combination of a plug and patch type & those are by far the best alternative in terms of the type of patch but in the end it is how comfortable you are with a fix. If you have the Bridgestoneb54's that tire is so beefy stiff that it was so hard for me to dismount with just tire irons.
 
Thread starter
Waiting for AAA. Yes I could remove the wheel if my back was not quite so sore, but if you have AAA why not use it. Will get a new tire as suggested. Thanks for your responses. Jim.
 
meowguy_imp said:
Waiting for AAA. Yes I could remove the wheel if my back was not quite so sore, but if you have AAA why not use it. Will get a new tire as suggested. Thanks for your responses. Jim.
I hope AAA is coming to trailer your bike to a dealer. Would not let them touch my bike. There OK for auto tire repair, gas, battery but to have them take apart your bike would scare me. That nail isn't going anywhere I'd just ride the bike to the dealer and leave it off.
 
It's all about risk VS reward. To me the risk of a tire failure on a motorcycle is just not worth the risk of a plug, past history or not. There is just so much more risk than when you are on 4 wheels.
 
Thread starter
Quote:I hope AAA is coming to trailer your bike to a dealer. Would not let them touch my bike. There OK for auto tire repair, gas, battery but to have them take apart your bike would scare me. That nail isn't going anywhere I'd just ride the bike to the dealer and leave it off.
Sounds reasonable to me. But, I do have RV/Motorcycle on my AAA and figured I might as well use it. They did not bring a trailer, they just put it on the flat bed on the side stand, strapped it down and away they went.

Careful inspection at the dealer showed no concerns at all.
 
Tortuga_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
Plug it, every time, done 1000s of miles on plugged tyres no problem ever.
I have not died yet but one day I will !
I have not died yet but one day I will !
Like most people.
I have not died yet but one day I will !
Like most people. But hopefully not because I road with a plugged tire.
 
Plug it, use a Dynaplug, always carry one on the bike under the seat in the tool tray. It will be good for another thousand miles.
 
Back
Top