My quest to find a better bike

Thread starter
I’ve looked at wind shields for the RS, but I can’t find any that I like.
Perhaps that 5Four one, but does that little thing do the trick?
It makes sense, a wind shield is almost the only thing I’m missing.

But then again, I like switching things up.

Some of you seem to think I’m adding to the CB, but that’s not it. I’m looking for a replacement. I can’t afford having two premium bikes. I have two bikes in storage, one (a 1978 Suzuki GS1000E) in atoms and a Ducati 900SS that I could possibly get on the road in s week or two of dedicated work, but I can’t have two new ones.
Since the CB1100 is so good, I’m taking my time and eliminating contenders one by one.

Henrik, it’s not the Ducati, it’s my back. When I ride my old Ducati or the new Supersport S, fatigue builds up in my arms. Wrists first, then shoulders. When speeding up isn’t an option, I squeeze my knees together and hold my upper body up by my core muscles, and this is what I’m paying for now. I could feel it as I was doing it. Not good! My lower back was injured many years ago, and I just can’t do that anymore. I need a seating position that is upright enough, but I also don’t do well with a very static position. The RS has the perfect stance for me: slightly foreward, inspires moving around s bit. The BMW GS was very static, I’d be stuck in one position, and that hurts my back, too. I’m not dissing the magnificent Supersport, it’s my [expletives] back. I’d love a Ducati.

I really want a test ride on that MV Agusta. Looks so good.

I repeat that surprisingly, a HD is currently top of my list.

I’ve known a few FJR1300 guys, they’re as bad as the GS crowd (and myself on any bike) when it comes to stops. Gas, pee, maybe a hot dog, off we go. This is a good thing, obviously, I’m willing to consider one. It doesn’t appeal to my inner teenager, though. It’s got responsible adult energy. And the older I get (I’m 53), the more I listen to my inner sixteen-year-old. The FJR will have to impress him, too. I guess the hp would help do that. I’m adding it to the list. :)

No Pan Americas available this season, and if I want one for next year I should order one within the next few weeks, apparently. Hm. I don’t respond well to extorsion, but I am seriously considering it. Gah.
 
Just traded in my FJR on a Honda NC 750DCT.

The FJR has long distance comfortable touring written all over it. It big, it's heavy and top heavy and it's got gobs of power. There are a few guys that hooligan them, but it doesn't appeal to a 16 year old. More like someone your age that's ready to take it easy most of the time but get rowdy occasionally. At almost 700 pounds dressed it's not one that you casually throw around in the twisties. It's more like trying to control it in the twisties compared to a lighter bike.

FJR in sport mode (how I kept it most of the time... shorty screen, no bags, no trunk)

f6ef84913f64a1ad22d453a352cfb55d.jpg


FJR in touring mode (when heading out for trips...taller screen , bags and trunk)

74d96ac57ead4d1e30b6e84df24aeb84.jpg


you certainly feel it's heft on a road like the Dragon

7a02980665653e22a162ae65c9e8674c.jpg


not so much on the Cherohala.

Great motorcycle though, especially after 2016 when it got some upgrades like cruise, heated grips etc
 
Here's one of my FJR's
I didn't have any problems keeping up with the sports guys in fact I could throw this machine around corners faster than most of them and on the straights it held its own quite easily. That was 10 years ago though and outlooks change.
I was recently tempted to buy another FJR but decided to keep my licence and buy the cb1100 instead and slow down, relax and see more scenery.
 
With the bikes you are considering it seems you want something somewhat exotic and high torque . Have you considered an Aprilia Tuono?


The BMW is good but your CB can do just about everything that can do..
The Pan America and Livewire are different. But pricy for what they are.
The Ducati is great until you have to shell out for the first service.
The Guzzi I have a soft spot for and it clicks many boxes. A reliable offroader too. But power wise it would seem anemic to your CB. If you can get over that jump on the V85tt.

You would think the Aprilia would be expensive to maintain but it kind of isn't. And it's a solid motor in a reliable way. But the performance on them is just over the top. Accessories can get pricy... But that would go with all of your choices.
 
Thread starter
I believe the Tuono is a bit sporty, I have to sit more upright. I have seen some good reviews, it’s not completely off the radar
I have called it a quest, but I think ‘my year of trying other bikes’ is more accurate. I have this absolutely great motorcycle right now, so there’s no stress or rush about this. The only active countdown is the trade-in value of the CB1100, but that’s not really changing the game, I have time.
The ‘quest’ is about finding a bike that has some features the CB1100 doesn’t have, and that makes me as happy as the Honda does.
I wouldn’t mind a lot of torque, but I also love the way a Japanese inline four changes everything when you approach five digit revs. The screaming chaos. The Guzzi had zero of this. The Livewire was some version of ‘that’ all the time. The CB1100 is a kitten in town and I’m sure many of us very seldom see much over 4,500 rpm, but there’s something insane lurking in this amazing enginee and if you let it out it’s just pure excitement. I want torque but I also want the high rev excitement. I also know that I ride faster if I’m too well protected, a naked bike was a conscious choice. If I am to change my mind on that, I need a bike that has a *something* about it so I don’t just compensate by going faster.

My idea is that it’s HARD to find a worthy replacement for the CB1100, but trying other bikes is FUN. I’m going to keep doing it.

And then buy a used Pan America in a few years. :D

PS: I’m testing an FJR1300 tomorrow, stay tuned.
 
" Trying to find a better bike is fun" That is probably the same as trying to find a better girl friend : you might not find one but is nice trying them out !
 
If you can give up some top speed, consider evaluating the CMX1100 (Honda Rebel 1100). With or without the DCT option, it appears to be an incredible hoot. No "classic" in the CB1100 sense, but still very smooth and throaty by twin standards. Nevertheless, available torque won't be a problem.
 
Houtman_imp said:
" Trying to find a better bike is fun" That is probably the same as trying to find a better girl friend : you might not find one but is nice trying them out !
Yes, but it's like trying to get test rides, many don't offer them!
 
Thread starter
Just popping in to add three more bikes test ridden:

-Indian FTR1200: The bike I was given had a fw issue which made it a frustratingly sputtering mess at town speeds until it was properly warm, that was interesting. It was easier than my 900SS with Keihins, but still. It’s a powerful bike, and I don’t recommend the jumpy version. Once warmed up, it changed into a different kind of beast: I loved the noise from the twin 1200, and it had power instantly available pretty much across the revs. A delightful push after an upshift, but also plenty to spare all the way to the redline at 9,000 or so. It handles with ease, although I didn’t love how the front end seemed to want to lift off when gunning it. I had a blast, the FTR1200 is fun as hell! (It was never a contender in my Quest, but I couldn’t let the opportunity go). I’d love to have one, but not as my only bike.

Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (2020): I was sincerely hoping that the Tracer would check a lot of boxes, and although it has plenty power, lots of touring friendly details, is ready for luggage and pillion, and certainly handles well, it just didn’t appeal. Oh, and the price is very competitive. But I didn’t *like* it. The 900 triple had power across the board, but it failed to wow me. I didn’t like the noise it made either, a stressful high pitched farty sound which didn’t inspire. I am sure I’d learn to like it more with more time, but one hour didn’t win me over.

Ducati Multistrada 950S: short listed. Fun. Power everywhere, great noise, a perfect mixture of elegant confidence, modern high tech, and madness. I loved how it handled in twisties, and it was very chill on the higheay. I’d need a slightly larger wind screen, and I have to bring my lovely gf to test her seating and comfort, but I have already asked for a quote, this might happen. They had a used Multistrada V4 Enduro, I am also waiting for a quote for that.

It wasn’t as mind blowing as the Pan America, but it costs 1/3 less.
 
Tev62_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
" Trying to find a better bike is fun" That is probably the same as trying to find a better girl friend : you might not find one but is nice trying them out !
Yes, but it's like trying to get test rides, many don't offer them!
Yes, but it's like trying to get test rides, many don't offer them!
:rofl: :thumbsup:
 
Hovmod, I'm going to test ride the PanAmerican too. (Never thought I'd have said that.)
But, have you seen the teaser just released for the next Harley coming out with the same Revolution motor? I suspect it'll be something kinda like the FTR.
 
One review, and on paper, that Yamaha 900 sounds impressive. This is why test rides are so important. What floats your boat may not move another.
 
Hovmod_imp said:
Just popping in to add three more bikes test ridden:

-Indian FTR1200: The bike I was given had a fw issue which made it a frustratingly sputtering mess at town speeds until it was properly warm, that was interesting. It was easier than my 900SS with Keihins, but still. It’s a powerful bike, and I don’t recommend the jumpy version. Once warmed up, it changed into a different kind of beast: I loved the noise from the twin 1200, and it had power instantly available pretty much across the revs. A delightful push after an upshift, but also plenty to spare all the way to the redline at 9,000 or so. It handles with ease, although I didn’t love how the front end seemed to want to lift off when gunning it. I had a blast, the FTR1200 is fun as hell! (It was never a contender in my Quest, but I couldn’t let the opportunity go). I’d love to have one, but not as my only bike.

Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (2020): I was sincerely hoping that the Tracer would check a lot of boxes, and although it has plenty power, lots of touring friendly details, is ready for luggage and pillion, and certainly handles well, it just didn’t appeal. Oh, and the price is very competitive. But I didn’t *like* it. The 900 triple had power across the board, but it failed to wow me. I didn’t like the noise it made either, a stressful high pitched farty sound which didn’t inspire. I am sure I’d learn to like it more with more time, but one hour didn’t win me over.

Ducati Multistrada 950S: short listed. Fun. Power everywhere, great noise, a perfect mixture of elegant confidence, modern high tech, and madness. I loved how it handled in twisties, and it was very chill on the higheay. I’d need a slightly larger wind screen, and I have to bring my lovely gf to test her seating and comfort, but I have already asked for a quote, this might happen. They had a used Multistrada V4 Enduro, I am also waiting for a quote for that.

It wasn’t as mind blowing as the Pan America, but it costs 1/3 less.
Good feedback Hovmod - useful to view through other eyes.
 
Went to the HD dealership to see the new PanAm. The lowering suspension is an option, on top of the optioned "S" model and this one didn't have it. As such, it was too tall for me - I was on toes each side. They were also tacking on $4500. I guess they're selling well.
 
Thread starter
The lowering option was missing on the one I rode as well, and it was quite a bit too tall for me too. I have to scoot my butt to the side to reach. Same on an Africa Twin. I don’t enjoy that, but once on, the PanAm made me forget any complaints, because getting *that* much grunt from *that* engine was simply exhillarating!

Norway is getting like three this year. The entire country. It may be they’re all selling, but manufacturimg is having a cuss pandemic and they’re not making anywhere near enough. PanAm, MV Turismo, Tracer 9 GT, Multistrada 950, they’re all spread thin. Which is kind of pushing me to act when my instinct is to chill.
 
It does sound to me like the Multistrada 950 would be the perfect bike to change to for you. It seems to tick all your boxes, and comes with the benefit of having basically the same engine as in the Supersport!

Since you are on a roll of testing different bikes though, I really can recommend that you have a go on the Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC. Living with it now for a few weeks, I really can't say enough good things about it! If nothing else, I am sure you would have a fun ride.
 
Thread starter
Good tip, the Scrambler looks awesome and I’ve only heard good things. I’d have the same issues as I do on the CB1100, though: strong, naked bike with no protection. I would put the Scrambler in roughly the same set of bikes as the RS, is that silly?

Edit: I’d just keep the Honda, is what I’m thinking.
 
Back
Top