My new motorbike: An Enfield

Wisedrum

Road warrior
Thread starter
Right before the old year ends I bought a single cylinder Royal Enfield Classic Chrom Maroon.

A long kept wish to complete the W800 and CB1100.
1 - 2 and 4 cylinders all standing upright, aircooled and a joy to look at and ride with them.

The Bullet is still in its running in period and one of the last Euro 3 models. Not cheap but I from now on take a risk in the way Indians build motorcycles. A diverse and much dicussed topic.

Happy New Year to all, I'm happy.

Wisedrum

 
Sure is a pretty good looking motorbike. COngrats.
 
Congrats Wisedrum! It sure looks like fun!
 
Classic looking motorcycle!

Love the chrome tank! Reminds me of the early BSA Lightnings.


The new Royal Enfield 650cc Interceptor looks good as well.
 
I find it ironic that Honda made an effort to make cylinder fins ring and Enfield put what appears to be 10 different strips of blocks of rubber between the fins effectively stopping the cyl fins from ringing.
 
The RE Interceptor will be released on the market next April/May. No MSRP yet.
It has SOHC, eight-valves, air-cooled, and only 47 HP, but the engine was developed in England at an R & D center under the supervision of a former Triumph employee assisted by a former Triumph designer.
The R & D center has 115 employees of which many worked for Triumph so I have some confidence that the engine will do the job.
It has the classic "British bike" profile which is appealing and it will probably do well and should be a fun bike.
Time will tell.
 
Rocky_imp said:
The RE Interceptor will be released on the market next April/May. No MSRP yet.
It has SOHC, eight-valves, air-cooled, and only 47 HP, but the engine was developed in England at an R & D center under the supervision of a former Triumph employee assisted by a former Triumph designer.
The R & D center has 115 employees of which many worked for Triumph so I have some confidence that the engine will do the job.
It has the classic "British bike" profile which is appealing and it will probably do well and should be a fun bike.
Time will tell.
My 1966 and 1971 BSA Lightnings only had 48 horsepower and a 4-speed gearbox. Quite adequate for sensible riding and sweeping through the corners. Loved the exhaust note and torquey engine.


When I bought my CB500XA four years ago it also had 48 horsepower. It was designed to meet certain licencing requirements in Europe. My concerns that it might be inadequate for me were quickly erased the first month I rode it. Fuel injection, a 6-speed transmission and good brakes sure helped.
 
Congrats ! Here is my 07 iron barrel Enfield. Get ready to get hounded when you’re out with it




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Great purchase, Wisedrum. Look forward to seeing and reading more about it.
 
Thread starter
I'm a little bit suprised by the fact that everyone who sees this bike wether on a picture or live likes it and gives it a positive comment. Maybe it's because it reminds people of how a motorbike can or have looked like. Classic, in a way timeless, warm, lovely and well rounded. The Bullet is the only motorbike that is build the same way over a period of 60 years with only little changes to fulfill modern emisson regulations.
Here's another picture. The color and the amount of chrome is overwhelming, also reasons why I chose this version. I hope it's reliable, I'll see.



Wisedrum
 
I'm not sure why you're surprised by the responses. That bike is almost like a puppy in the sense that in many ways it's cute and non-alarming. It probably brings back a lot of nice nostalgic feelings for many people. Congratulations on the new purchase!
 
What I've heard and read about the RE's of recent years has all been positive so I think you will have a great time on the bike and it should be reliable.
20 years ago the quality was terrible, but a new company CEO took over and shook up the company. It took a while to get rid of the bad reputation, but he did it with a decent product.
I own a 441cc BSA thumper and love riding it on the back roads at 90kph (55mph) where it's in it's element. The Bullet should be the same.
Enjoy, and let us know how things go.
 
Wisedrum_imp said:
I'm a little bit suprised by the fact that everyone who sees this bike wether on a picture or live likes it and gives it a positive comment. Maybe it's because it reminds people of how a motorbike can or have looked like. Classic, in a way timeless, warm, lovely and well rounded. The Bullet is the only motorbike that is build the same way over a period of 60 years with only little changes to fulfill modern emisson regulations.
Here's another picture. The color and the amount of chrome is overwhelming, also reasons why I chose this version. I hope it's reliable, I'll see.



Wisedrum
I'd think they are reliable; I have a couple of friends who rode Bullets from Turkey thru Iran, Pakistan, India, up to Kathmandu last summer. 10,000 kms total. Half of the riding was hard enduro style they say, and other than the occasional spill, being hit by flying rocks(one of them had his headlight broken twice), etc etc the journey went without a hitch. No breakdowns attributable to the bikes themselves. So if those bikes can survive Nepal they can survive Germany I suppose :)

Having said that, looks like you've got a tough decision as to which bike to ride at the next DGR :) Enjoy!
 
Thread starter
Today I rode nearly 200km on it.
It was wether warm nor sunny but no rain and New Years Day, a good opportunity to welcome the brand new 2018 and to get more used to the Bullet, the way it handles, the seating position and the motorcharacteristics. The engine is no sprinter and not a fast bike. I had known it before. The motor has a friendly way of running. You feel vibrations, which start to increase once you pass 90 til 100km/h.They are tolerable. Mostly I rode beneath this mark. Maybe the Bullet is comparable to the mentioned BSA.
The first fuel consumption was 3,5l/100km when I refilled the tank. 370km on the speedometer. Within the next days I wanna do the 500km inspection because I have time for it.

Both sides of a coin:





Wisedrum
 
That engine is a work of industrial art, just beautiful. Enjoy the RE as what is was designed for, pleasurable, simple motoring. Congrats/
 
"1 - 2 and 4 cylinders all standing upright, aircooled and a joy to look at and ride with them."

Looks like you'll be needing an FZ-09 to complete the 1-2-3-4?

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Capo_imp said:
That engine is a work of industrial art, just beautiful. Enjoy the RE as what is was designed for, pleasurable, simple motoring. Congrats/
I agree, and the whole bike is visually appealing. It's a good looking bike!
You don't buy these for speed and power. It's build for fun on back roads at modest speeds.
 
Back
Top