My new 50 year old Honda S90.

pekingduck

Road warrior
Thread starter
I had been casually looking (checking Craigslist and other local neighborhood buy/sell sites 8 times a day) for an interesting little bike, preferably a Honda. A friend gave me an old CT90 in fair condition, but I remember the old clunky 3-speed with auto-clutch, so passed it to another friend.

But Sunday I found an original owner 1968 S90 in the rare white color. Picked it up today, and it is in great shape, not started for a few months, but rust and dent free.
Only needs tires, not bad for 50 years old. Will make a nice pair with my 305 Dream.
 
Wanted one of those bad when I was in High School but skipped over it for a 160, then a 305 Scrambler. Always thought the S90's were cool bikes. Most were black or red.
 
Very nice! Great bike to terrorize the neighborhood. :rofl:
If I remember correctly, these bikes went from silver to chrome fenders in 1968. However, at least here in NYS, a bike was assigned a year on the time of its initial registration. So a left over bike built in 1967 doesn’t sell until 1968, then the registration would say the bike is a 1968 model.
 
Congratulations PD, had a later model in metallic candy red but only 50cc, remember the green neutral light vividly and was reminded of it in the cb1100, i kept it clean and sold it on to buy my first motorcycle, a yamaha 250rd twin in gold, it has always been in the back of my mind and the second owner was very pleased with the little gem, these bikes could last a lifetime as you just proved, another gold strike from mr honda.
 
Great share PKing. It is great seeing the oldies looking and [likely] operating just fine. Many times not as easy to state for many other big brand names.
 
Nice find PD. I had a C90 once.
 
Thread starter
Thanks all for your kind comments. I don't remember ever seeing a white one either, nor a candy metallic blue, or a candy metallic red (like Max's), but they are listed in the book. I did have a chrome framed C105T back in the late '70s, and a co-worker had one also.

It is certainly remarkable how many people started on these Z50s or CT70s or C100s, and how many still remain in good condition, even after 50 years. And considering the sheer number of small bikes from the late '60s into the '70s, how few other brands made it. I wonder how many Groms and Ruckuses will get tucked away and ready to be awakened in 2070.
 
Very cool. Didn't Peter Egan wax poetically about the S90 he used to ride? Not to derail the tread, but his book "Leanings" is one of my favorites.
 
Loved the s90! Just saw this and would pull trigger right now but wife says, "no way".

https://goldcountry.craigslist.org/mcy/6960174154.html
ec25023637982c5a2a829864a181e261.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Man, I’d like to have that! Not going to ride it home from Cali though :)
 
That CT 90 is sweet. I prefer Peking’s S 90 though.

Hey Popgun, if you noticed the CT 90 has only one RLET! You would never get the CT back to VA because you would be riding in circles!
 
suhawk, strong with the Force RLETs are. Sophisticated adjustments can they make. If the CT90 had not disappeared, popgun could have ridden it.
 
suhawk305_imp said:
That CT 90 is sweet. I prefer Peking’s S 90 though.

Hey Popgun, if you noticed the CT 90 has only one RLET! You would never get the CT back to VA because you would be riding in circles!
Cormanus_imp said:
suhawk, strong with the Force RLETs are. Sophisticated adjustments can they make. If the CT90 had not disappeared, popgun could have ridden it.
What RLETs are ??
 
Back
Top