My latest complaint .... gas pumps

ohiorider_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Talking gas pumps! How aggravating! I'm carefully filling the CB1100 today, being careful not to overfill. And in the background, is the talking gas pump, with a marketing message about the wonderful hot dogs for sale inside. Then the sport scores.

Man, give it a rest!

Bob
 
There is a station by my house (Shell, I think) that has TVs on the pumps that play marketing messages. One, I’m already buying your product. And two, I don’t want to watch TV while pumping gas. And please just SHUT UP! (The TV that is...) :)
 
The ferret_imp said:
I love hot dogs.
:rofl:

I can see where all of this is headed. Next thing you know a guy finds himself stranded on the side of the road a few miles out of town. That's right, he got swept up in all of the the hot dog fervor and forgot all about filling up with gas (the bike that is).
 
ohiorider, it's a horrible thought. But wait till the hot dog tells you about the good value gas out the front.
 
ohiorider_imp said:
Talking gas pumps! How aggravating! I'm carefully filling the CB1100 today, being careful not to overfill. And in the background, is the talking gas pump, with a marketing message about the wonderful hot dogs for sale inside. Then the sport scores.

Man, give it a rest!

Bob
There's a "mute" button on them, at least on the Shell stations by me. There are two vertical rows of (usually) unmarked buttons on the face of the pump, four on each side, The second button from the top on the right side will mute the display. Takes a couple seconds before the message begins, so I don't start filling until it begins and I can mute it. Still can hear message from other pumps, but nowhere near the volume of my own pump.

I only found out because someone (station employee?) had put a piece of tape with the word "mute" on it next to the button. Only on one pump, but I soon discovered that other, unmarked pumps, worked the same way...

Frank
 
Cormanus_imp said:
ohiorider, it's a horrible thought. But wait till the hot dog tells you about the good value gas out the front.
I think that report comes out the rear a few hours later...
 
I had 2 hot dogs for lunch today dipped in McDonalds Hot Mustard. Mmmmmm good.

Wish I could find a good gluten free hot dog bun
 
Before I first opened this thread, I thought for sure it was a different complaint...

It seems that every gas station I go to, with the exception of Sunoco stations, have nozzles that are either off, or on at full fire-hose blast. Nothing in between.

That makes for a really interesting experience as the tank begins to fill up.....I never enjoy getting gasoline sprinkled on the paint.
 
Jim, same experience. There's only one station near me which sells ethanol free gasoline. Their nozzles do exactly as you describe. I've started just filling a six gallon can and then using that to fill my motorcycle. The problem is that my son also fills his bike from the same can, and more than once I've gone out to ride and found the can empty. Grrr...
 
Haha....Houtman, you're not understanding correctly.

As you squeeze the fuel trigger, you get nothing......nothing.....nothing.....then BAM ! Mount Saint Helens erupts into your gas tank.
 
The pumps I use in NC are not like that .
Most you can regulate quite easily , again with finger in between trigger and handle.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
Haha....Houtman, you're not understanding correctly.

As you squeeze the fuel trigger, you get nothing......nothing.....nothing.....then BAM ! Mount Saint Helens erupts into your gas tank.
I run into pumps like that ocaasionally. They are really a pain to operate.
 
Its windy night at 30C below and I want to top up my car for the week.
I remove my glove and insert my points card that saves me 10 cents a liter, and wait and wait.
Remove the card quickly it flashes and I do so, and put it in my wallet.
Draw out my credit card and try to tap it.
Long pause and the pump flashes to insert it. I do so and wait.
Long pause and it flashes do I want a car wash.
At 30C below. I don't think so. Push the button an wait.
It flashes enter your pin, which I do.
Long pause until it flashes for me to remove my card.
Which I do, and it immediately starts loudly beeping at me to lift the handle and select grade of gas I need. Could I put my card and wallet away first you noisy slow thinking tin moron?
Pump my gas and put the handle back.
The screen reads you have selected a printed receipt.
Yup I want it, and I wait and wait.
It finely rolls out a foot of paper flapping in the cold wind which I tear off with my frozen hand.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Would it be better to fill up your car in the day time ?
In the day in would be only 20C below, but twice as windy.

Thursday night is about the only time I get to pry Penny's hands from the steering wheel. It is Date Night and I have the privilege of driving her to our favourite Italian Restaurant, picking up the tab, and filling up the car's gas tank before driving home.
 
We disused a few months ago -- shortly, the gas pump will have your credit card on file. When you pull up to the pump, it'll recognize your car via RFID and allow you to pump without needing to insert your card. Once finished, it'll send the receipt to you via e-mail. Guess I'm getting old, but I don't care for the concept. It seems unnecessary and an answer to a question nobody asked (well, perhaps Nortoon did). Paying for gas really isn't that inconvenient, is it?
 
Back
Top