My hard luck story on a 14 dlx today

OldF7Guy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I went to the Kentucky kickdown in Louisville Ky today and when I left I thought I would go by Station Park Honda and the motorcycle superstore. Well, as luck would have it they had a 14 standard. I asked about the dlx and the guy said yeah we have one of those in the back that was just traded in. WE go back to look at it and it was the first dlx I have laid my eyes on. Just beautiful. I sat on it and turned the key and it had 919 miles one it.

I look everything over and this thing is new as can be. I climb off and ask the price and they say 8500. I am reaching for my billfold wondering how I can secure it. I dont have my checkbook and only have 150 bucks on me. But, I have a credit card. WE get to to the main man and he breaks it to me it is already spoken for and my heart dropped. I was just sick. Thought about it all the way home.

The main man told me he could sell me a std for 8859 which is a pretty good price but could not give me that kind of discount on the dlx because there were no incentives from Honda. Just bummed me out.

So, I am trying to peal myself off the walls for missing out but grateful I still have a good motorcycle to ride that is fun and reliable. Patience is the key here and you hate to lose out but its part of it. Let a couple of Nighthawks get out from under me also when I was looking but finally found the right one.
 
That's too sad, F7. I know I'm probably stating the bleeding obvious, but you did claim dibs if the deal falls through?
 
Sorry to hear the disheartening story.
I know how you feel as I had a similar experience back in 1992 when I was shopping for a NT650 Honda Hawk. There was a used one on the floor at an excellent price, but it was spoken for.
A couple of months later Honda was clearing leftover stock and the dealer brought in a new one also at an excellent price.
Don't give up hope yet.
 
I've missed out on a bike or two, but I have learned used bikes are a lot like buses, another one will be coming by soon. Don't give up hope, what's meant to be will be!
 
My dad used to remind me when shopping for cars "It's not as if they only made one of these".

Also, remember that every deal missed brings you one step closer to the right deal for you. Happy hunting.
 
Well someone else got a great deal and I hope it went to a good home. Just keep looking or crack the wallet open a bit. But all good things come to those that wait.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
That's a bummer, but actually time is on your side if it's a used one you seek.
 
Thread starter
I check cycle trader and craigs list all over the country about once a week and this is the first DLX I have found used anywhere. They sure are pretty when you finally see them in the flesh. I may have finally found a dealer also I like. The owner cuts to the chase from the get go. Even told me hey, your Nighthawk is worth more to you than it is to me so I would be best to sell it out right. His reasoning was that due to its age not the shape its hard to get anybody to loan money on it and most of his customers had to borrow money to buy even scooters. Perfectly understandable and I appreciated his honesty.

Eventually, the right one will come along but I sure hated missing that particular one so close to home and being just like new. They do sit a little higher than a Nighthawk. I can ride it but boy Im close. I am pretty sure I would want the seat shaved about 1 inch just to feel a little more comfortable. Im not so sure its so much seat height than it seems to be wider on the 1100.
Cormanus_imp said:
That's too sad, F7. I know I'm probably stating the bleeding obvious, but you did claim dibs if the deal falls through?
I sure did. He said it was unlikely the deal would fall through the cracks because it was a personal friend of his that bought it. Still gave him my name and number just in case.
 
Thread starter
powerdogg11_imp said:
Hang tuff F7. I gotta a sneaky feeling that a DLX will be residing with you in the near future.
+1 Hanging tough. Got a good 750 to ride so no hurry but sooner or later one will turn up. Just love those 1100s, Its funny how they only appeal to a small amount of us which scares me along with no 15 information. The 14dlx nailed it for me personally. That is what I want and have to have.

Was not long ago I sold out to start a new business. I was broke and didnt even have a scooter. Sold my sportster and all sorts of things. Well things are picking up now. Not in a hurry because I like my 750 but know full well the 1100 is what I want long term. Business is picking way up. I am now finally capable of purchasing and 1100. Feels good.


Just gotta find the right one for me. Its a matter of time. I just love the so much.
 
Don't know if it's still available. But I found a new DLX in Wisconsin for $9980 OTD. See my posting for the name of the dealer. Rocket
 
Back
Top