MY dyno

PowerDubs_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
AS of this morning- I am now a Dynojet motorcycle dyno owner.

Figured I'd make a thread about these adventures.

This is a very early unit- literally from the 90's so I will be updating it to the most current electronics & software.

You really never see these in a trailer form. Sometimes owners bolt them to trailers but this IS a trailer.

Dual purpose- the dyno itself is mobile, and I can transport my bike on it at the same time where-ever I want to go.

Just got off the phone with Dynojet placing an order to bring it up to modern spec- and learned that I don't *need* the a/f box they sell to shops that runs off a shop air compressor to suck in the tailpipe sniffer- since my bike has their autotune box already- I can just plug in and use that for a reading. Also- if I want to test another bike- as long as it has an 18mm bung (or they sell an inexpensive way to make it work)- I can use my existing autotune box & sensor to read that bike.

Works for me- because once I install my new dual sensor autotune for my upcoming 4-4 exhaust so I can tune each side separately- I will have the original autotunebox / sensor unused and able to do whatever I want with it. *IF* I ever want the O2 tailpipe sniffer later on - I can add it.

I also won't need to use the existing RPM clamp- as the dyno can interface with the power commander as well for RPM pickup. (for any of you that have dynoed before- that is HUGE as the inductives are always a PITA.)
 
Thread starter
I'm considering getting an 'exhaust evacuation' setup so I can run it with the garage closed... but for now, I will wait until the neighbors are mowing to use it for the first time.

My take- I hear chain saws, wood chippers, weed wackers, lawn mowers, as well as bro-dozers and fart-cans driving by- etc- so there shouldn't be a moral judgement as to 'why' there is noise- as long as it is relatively brief and infrequent.

That being said- down the street from me there is a farm that for the last few years has been doing weddings / parties in their barn that we can hear music in our yard.

So- my wife already said- if the 'authorities' come knocking at our door about this- she will say something about that...

To be fair- I live on a few acres, so it's not like I am in a townhouse development. Yea- I know sound travels...but for the few minutes at a time in an afternoon..they can deal with it.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
I'm considering getting an 'exhaust evacuation' setup so I can run it with the garage closed... but for now, I will wait until the neighbors are mowing to use it for the first time.

My take- I hear chain saws, wood chippers, weed wackers, lawn mowers, as well as bro-dozers and fart-cans driving by- etc- so there shouldn't be a moral judgement as to 'why' there is noise- as long as it is relatively brief and infrequent.

That being said- down the street from me there is a farm that for the last few years has been doing weddings / parties in their barn that we can hear music in our yard.

So- my wife already said- if the 'authorities' come knocking at our door about this- she will say something about that...

To be fair- I live on a few acres, so it's not like I am in a townhouse development. Yea- I know sound travels...but for the few minutes at a time in an afternoon..they can deal with it.
Besides, it's a Honda. The neighbors will just think you started a sewing club. :P
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
I'm considering getting an 'exhaust evacuation' setup so I can run it with the garage closed... but for now, I will wait until the neighbors are mowing to use it for the first time.

My take- I hear chain saws, wood chippers, weed wackers, lawn mowers, as well as bro-dozers and fart-cans driving by- etc- so there shouldn't be a moral judgement as to 'why' there is noise- as long as it is relatively brief and infrequent.

That being said- down the street from me there is a farm that for the last few years has been doing weddings / parties in their barn that we can hear music in our yard.

So- my wife already said- if the 'authorities' come knocking at our door about this- she will say something about that...

To be fair- I live on a few acres, so it's not like I am in a townhouse development. Yea- I know sound travels...but for the few minutes at a time in an afternoon..they can deal with it.
That's excellent, PD. I've considered how I can achieve the same 'exhaust evacuation' set-up in my little garage. Not that I want to do 'tuning' as such, but just so that I can perhaps run one of the 'bikes occasionally inside the garage (in winter?) if necessary. I have a 'soil pipe' (sewer pressure outlet) running inside at the back of the garage, so I could tap into that. All I need are the flexible hoses, and a large, boxed extractor fan.

I'll be interested to see how you get on with your set-up. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Depends- you need a MUCH more powerful fan and higher temp rating hose, etc for full RPM power runs than you do just to idle the bike for a couple minutes.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Depends- you need a MUCH more powerful fan and higher temp rating hose, etc for full RPM power runs than you do just to idle the bike for a couple minutes.
Yes. Spot-on.

I don't need that level of sophistication. A reasonably large, boxed fan; a length of flexible hose; my domestic floor-standing fan and I think that would suffice. No revving, just ticking over for a few minutes. ;)
 
Thread starter
So, there is a difference between a shop that will take your money for a few runs and not necessarily expect you to ever return and myself that will hopefully make countless runs on my bikes over several different days.

Although I have had fantastic repeatability on all my bikes and cars on dynojet‘s for decades now comparing run files across not only numerous different dynos myself but a friend all the way in California and I am in New Jersey who had the exact same car with the exact same mods and his dyno runs there overlaid perfectly to my runs here as if they were the same car on the same day.

That being said, there are people that claim that something like the tire pressure, or tiedown strap pressure can “dramatically “ affect the results so to take that argument out of the equation I just ordered two of these one for each side of the swing arm strap so I can effectively and intricately adjust consistent downward pressure on the drum roller.

0a2d5dee07c1450821f59e48f07b83ca.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
So, there is a difference between a shop that will take your money for a few runs and not necessarily expect you to ever return and myself that will hopefully make countless runs on my bikes over several different days.

Although I have had fantastic repeatability on all my bikes and cars on dynojet‘s for decades now comparing run files across not only numerous different dynos myself but a friend all the way in California and I am in New Jersey who had the exact same car with the exact same mods and his dyno runs there overlaid perfectly to my runs here as if they were the same car on the same day.

That being said, there are people that claim that something like the tire pressure, or tiedown strap pressure can “dramatically “ affect the results so to take that argument out of the equation I just ordered two of these one for each side of the swing arm strap so I can effectively and intricately adjust consistent downward pressure on the drum roller.

0a2d5dee07c1450821f59e48f07b83ca.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a nice strain gauge.
 
Thread starter
Getting closer…. in-progress.

New dyno electronics done, new paint, new wheels, tires, loading ramp here next week.

I made sure to save the original tags on the unit.

35ab9e33e546e520025d987471912a26.jpg



c3098d04c8fff6d234bb212db37df756.jpg

b63219b29c4ea6cfd4bd2666492e2145.jpg

8657dd84b8d770507e81274e9c553d7a.jpg

8c2fbb99e7425afc2e3772f6f14538f1.jpg

d4833cf85b023d5857462fdc5e2b5f0f.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
A personal dyno is pretty darn cool. I'd love to get a laugh by strapping some our old, janky Chinese pit scooters to it.
 
That's showroom quality Josh, very clean finish, down to the black rivets on the dynojet serial no plate.

Always wondered, does the drum drive an ac generator with a loadbank and measures the current through the load combined with the rev count of the drum?
 
Thread starter
Just a lot of cleaning, sanding, and it's only spray paint- but good enough for a tool in a working garage.

I considered getting it sandblasted and powder coated but at some point enough is enough. There are plenty of people that would have left it grey, kept the ugly old wagon wheels and run it like it was.

Funny you noticed the rivets. The original were silver, but when I saw black ones on Amazon- I liked them better.

This is a very early model- it doesn't have the load brake- just a trigger wheel to count drum rotation.

So I can use it for what most people do- WOT dyno runs to measure hp/tq plotted against RPM and show A/F.

It had a deep cycle battery and a big starter- the drum has teeth like a flywheel- in case someone put a real racebike on it that has no starter of it's own.

I removed them since I'll never use that option and it's a lot of dead weight.

The later- wider, non trailer versions have a big box that sticks off the side in the back that houses an eddy current brake.

With those you can hold a steady RPM under load for detailed tuning. For me- the autotune box on the PCV takes care of that.

Having the AT/PCV combo also allows me to not have to mess with an RPM pickup clamp or a tailipe sniffer for A/F.

I'll be able to just connect a cable and read the actual same rear data the ECU sees.
Found a video- around the 2 minute mark you can see a modern motorcycle dyno with the eddy current load control.


You'll notice it is wider than mine- and other 'features'- such as mine has a manual hand turned crank screw to move the front wheel stop forward of back- newer ones have that feature motorized. Mine has a strap for the front wheel- new ones have a power clamp feature.

To me- that stuff not only adds a LOT of cost, but also lots of weight, size, lack of mobility.

What you see in the video isn't something I would ever think to purchase and put in my garage...which is why as soon as I saw the trailer- I had to have it.
 
Back
Top