Motorcycle etiquette

Cormanus

Administrator
Staff member
Thread starter
I'm not sure where this question belongs. I'm not even sure it belongs at all, having seen all sorts of derision aimed at "nodding threads" on an Australian motorcycle forum. It may even be that the question, like comments and discussions about oil, God and politics is expressly banned.

But I saw this:
... and I just have to ask: what is the modern protocol in the US—or any other country from which this forum has members—for acknowledging other motorcyclists?

As a boy starting out, I was told it was the done thing to acknowledge other people on (motor) bikes with a nod or a wave. You had to be careful as a young 'un on a small capacity bike. Some folk on big beasts wanted to remain aloof and waving to some of the types who affected denim jackets with cut-off sleves and big pictures on the back—which I'm sure they wore because they couldn't master the zip fastener on their leather jackets and had to keep the front together somehow—might earn you a scary look or a kick in the head. But, generally, bikers were affable types who acknowledged one another. Oh, and there were people who rode scooters ...

I come back to riding after years away and I do it in a different place. Once I've remastered staying upright, I start waving and nodding away like the good old days only to find people staring resolutely ahead. Any sort of acknowledgment from any other biker has become as rare as rockinghorse cuss. Have things changed that much? Is this an Australian phenomenon? Or is it particular to the peculiar state of Australia in which I now live?

Before Ferret or Guth, with smoke erupting from their ears because I've committed some unforgivable breach of forum protocol, rip this post down, ban me from the site forever, and cause the bikers equivalent of a fatwa to be promulgated against me, to could someone take pity on me and treat this as a serious sociological question? Please?
 
IMO, there's no standard protocol. The only wrong answer is to allow yourself to feel compelled by social protocol to wave or not wave.
Personally I wave at every 1%er, every ADV-poseur, every motorcycle cop, every crotch-rocket fratboy, and every 6-year-old on a Bigwheel, but I don't expect them to wave back. Sometimes I'm too distracted by my own apex-predicament to notice if they wave back.
There might be a very good reason they don't wave back. Perhaps a bee just flew in his/her helmet (my Dad suffered a fractured femur when this happened to him); maybe he/she is in the middle of changing gears; flat tire; heavy traffic; maybe her husband slaps her hand down because he feels threatened by your devlishly handsome good-looks...
And some of us live in motorcycle-dense regions, where you could spend all day with your clutch hand never getting a rest. An upward jut of the chin will do.

Taking your hands off the bars is dangerous. So you probably shouldn't wave at other motorcyclists. Unless you want to and it's safe.
 
Well I don't think this subject is touchy like oil or politics, but it certainly is an individual thing. I started riding in the mid 60 s. Weren't a whole lot of bikes around then and it was common to give acknowledgment to fellow riders passed on the road. I still do, to every one ( even scooters and trikes) but not all riders feel that way. In this country a lot of times genre of motorcyclists don't acknowledge other genre riders ie: sport bike riders don't acknowledge tourers and Harley riders, for the most part only want to acknowledge other Harley riders, but this is not cast in stone and ofttimes riders acknowledge each other regardless of brand or genre.

Most acknowledgements here seem to be a downward facing " peace sign"
 
Yep, downward facing peace sign sort of wave. Not all are returned. No big thing. I have done my part. Doesn't hurt to be friendly.
 
If I'm on a half day ride or so, I wave in some kind of way for about the first 30 oncoming bikes. After that I get sick and tired of waving all the time and just stop doing it for a while.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
:hello:

:hello:

:angel:
Did you have to take both hands off the bars to do that?

:hello: :hello: :biker:

I d ....
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
:hello:

:hello:

:angel:
Did you have to take both hands off the bars to do that?

:hello: :hello: :biker:

I d ....
If the weather's really good and I'm enjoying the ride enough, I'll dive off my bike and tackle the rider coming the other way just to give 'em a hug. :D
 
Thread starter
calamarichris_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
:hello:

:hello:

:angel:
Did you have to take both hands off the bars to do that?

:hello: :hello: :biker:

I d ....
If the weather's really good and I'm enjoying the ride enough, I'll dive off my bike and tackle the rider coming the other way just to give 'em a hug. :D
If the weather's really good and I'm enjoying the ride enough, I'll dive off my bike and tackle the rider coming the other way just to give 'em a hug. :D
:rofl:

Geez! What a pity we're not on the same continent! :D
 
Most of the time, where I ride, seeing an oncoming bike is a novelty. Since I assume cagers are intent on killing me, I acknowledge other riders who share my vulnerability in one way or another unless my situation requires full attention and coordination of left and right hands and both feet.

Sometimes I wiggle three fingers on my left hand or drop my left arm with two fingers extended. Sometimes, while riding on a separated road, another rider will wave at me even though there is 50 feet of grass separating us. I try to wave back even though he may already be behind me.

Being in Central Florida means that on some weekends there will be lots and lots of other riders on the roads. My town is a favorite destination for riding clubs. On those days there's no point in waving. The 10 or 15 oncoming riders don't wave and I would look like a fool traveling 1/4 mile or more with one hand in the air.

One situation I've never figured out is whether I should acknowledge another rider who going the same direction next to me. I've tried various waves but it always seems weird and I've never gotten a response. I've pretty much given up on waving to guys going the same direction as I am.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well I don't think this subject is touchy like oil or politics, but it certainly is an individual thing. I started riding in the mid 60 s. Weren't a whole lot of bikes around then and it was common to give acknowledgment to fellow riders passed on the road. I still do, to every one ( even scooters and trikes) but not all riders feel that way. In this country a lot of times genre of motorcyclists don't acknowledge other genre riders ie: sport bike riders don't acknowledge tourers and Harley riders, for the most part only want to acknowledge other Harley riders, but this is not cast in stone and ofttimes riders acknowledge each other regardless of brand or genre.

Most acknowledgements here seem to be a downward facing " peace sign"
I believe this is the main reason why we wave. Back in the days motorcycles were few and apart. Greeting another rider was a way of saying it is cool we both have this one thing in common, as if we were part of a club. Today we have a lot more Motorcycles in the streets and many models to choose from. Different models are now associated with different type of riders, as in "we ride but we are not the same." We all own cars but we don't wave at each other because cars are plenty therefore not unique.
I am presently in a third world country where motorcycles are the means of transportation for a lot people and families. I wouldn't be surprised if they outnumber cars 2-1. Here riders only wave at those they personally know, as it should be. Otherwise it would be too tiring to keep up.
I am all for this practice to end in the states. Not because I am antisocial, or because I consider it unsafe, but because I find it unnecessary. As more Motorcycles fill the streets, this will pass.
Cheers!
 
Sorry about this; don't know where you live but in my area fully 90 percent of other riders wave, and usually it is one of strong camaraderie. Must be according the geography and culture.
 
Red Mist_imp said:
Sorry about this; don't know where you live but in my area fully 90 percent of other riders wave, and usually it is one of strong camaraderie. Must be according the geography and culture.
It could be according to geography and culture, but that is something hardly to be sorry about. That just makes us culturally diverse.
When I lived in Virginia 90 % of riders waved, hop on the Parkway and it becomes 100%. Down in Florida I say 10%, ride in Miami and it becomes 0%. Again, this is my own personal experience and can be different for others.
Cormanus as we know lives in Australia and seems to be experiencing the same as I have experienced in America in regards to this subject of some wave and some don't. So how different are our cultures?

P.S. I live in Dominican Republic.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
 
Dropped peace sign is the most common form of motorcyclist acknowledgement currency in NJ. I alternate between that and a nod of the head or lift of the left wrist. If it's twisty time I try and ignore the protocol, and I would like to blanket apologize to all the cruisers I have insulted by trying to maintain a line or see beyond the apex while they are waving at me. I'm really not a douche.

The nod, as broadly practiced in the UK, and generally only in a one to one approaching bike scenario, is the way to go for me.
 
I try to wave at everyone, even cars on the back roads. Sometimes I'll drop my left hand and sometimes I raise it. Seem to feel more balanced by the hand drop. Sometimes on the four lane highway I've missed a few riders waving when I didn't see them until the last minute, especially when I'm trying to pay attention. If I don't get a wave it doesn't bother me. :biker:
 
Gingersdaddy_imp said:
I try to wave at everyone, even cars on the back roads. Sometimes I'll drop my left hand and sometimes I raise it. Seem to feel more balanced by the hand drop. Sometimes on the four lane highway I've missed a few riders waving when I didn't see them until the last minute, especially when I'm trying to pay attention. If I don't get a wave it doesn't bother me. :biker:
Wave or Nod, only on back roads. basically to all on two wheels.
 
Where I live we wave at one another even when in our cars and trucks and always wave while riding. Maybe it's just my experience, but when I ride in Florida (no helmet law there), It's usually just the helmet-less riders who never acknowledge a wave.
 
So-- Red Mist what part of the USA do you live?
I try to wave when I can, all most always when out of the city.
Sometimes in the city it can be tough with traffic and here in town
we have tons of students on mopeds down town who don't have clue
about two wheel travel. It's a collage town.
When we are two up the duty goes to the better half.
I have noticed less people wave when I am on my duel sport bike.
Some HD riders only try to wave at HD riders but that can be hard
with all the bikes that look like that.
I really do think it is neat when I come upon a group and the the last rider or passenger in line gives out a big wave:excited:
 
I spend a lot of time on the water, and boaters have the same dilemma: to wave or not to wave. 20-30 years ago it was the norm. Nowadays it seems people only wave at similar boats. Sailboats wave at sailboats, fishing boats at fishing boats, etc. One guy I saw on the Intracoastal had rigged a motor to a mannequin hand so it hopped up and down.
 
Its funny but in rural northern Kentucky where I ride a lot the car drivers wave to both motorcyclists and other car drivers.
 
Back
Top