MOTHERS/MAG AND ALUMINUM POLISH.

wildezt_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I tried this around 6 dollars MOTHERS/MAG AND ALUMINUM POLISH.. to shine up my headers .thought i will share the experience with you guys..as i liked the product very much..
the product has a nice creamy texture.. I used it with an autozone polishing rag. The product was very easy to use, no effort at all..and the bronzing just came off..clean leaving no scratches at all...leaving a mirror like finish.. you can almost see my neighbors' kid squatting next to the bike on the left most header...ps:iphone photo is not very clear..
well i know it would last only for a few miles.. but the polishing is part of the joy of owning her..
pics below for your viewing pleasure...

beccfc8d0585518792edabf11effdfdc.jpeg


7277a2b27cf057f08aea8954f5142a41.jpg
 
Wow, if they would only stay like tht...sigh :-/
 
Thanks wildezt. I tried your recommendation and achieved pretty good results with only a very reasonable amount of effort. This is now my go to polish for the crazy, sexy pipes on my CB11.
 
Thanks Wildezt! I have a container of that in the garage, but I didn't know if it would dull or brighten the stainless. I've been using Semichrome, which works great but takes a LOT of elbow grease to get the job done. I'll go out and try the Mother's at lunch.

BTW: does anyone else get an error: "Subject line too long etc." when posting a reply? I can work around it easily enough, just wondering if it's my browser or something.
 
I get it once in awhile, usually when someone else has a title thats too long, such as in this case.
 
Thread starter
You're very welcome guys !
Btw: sorry about the long subject line.
Mr.Ferret please feel free to tailor the subject line. I tried but it requires admin rights I guess.:thanks:
 
Well, I gave it a shot, lets see if it works lol
 
I tried it out, and it does do a great job of cleaning off the yellow crap. Pretty easy too.

Unfortunately the "liver spots" remain. They seem to be surface corrosion that only appears when riding on wet roads. I can polish them out with the Dremel and Semichrome, but it's a PITA. Especially when you know it's going to be right back where you started from the next time it's wet out.
 
Dug up this and another old thread in a search and thought I'd revive it for reference if for nothing else for us plain old stainless steel pipers.

Over the years I'd always used Mothers Chrome & Mag products with pretty decent results. After giving her a bath I decided to tackle my bronze/brown headers.

Minimal effort applied by the way, I'm sure even better results would be shown with greater effort. I kiped the technique from a Delboy's Garage youtube video but used my on-hand Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish.

Here's a handful of before, after and during shots. I'm proud to say not a busted knuckle in the bunch. :thumbsup:

Before:
7d933c2373b758e04d7d8af355c81eac.jpg

e98bd6055608624c247f70e7f2e66af1.jpg


After:
9c5f766021120f267f5692e888d5ca36.jpg

e9a5673efca046b0278db254e5a827f8.jpg


Process:
Smear on a small amount of MM&AP. I'd used and old, unused Ben & Jerry's (I think) ice cream stick I had in my arsenal as an applicator since my supply was hitting bottom. Note: amount shown was more than double of what I'd used on the remaining. A small 2-3 inch smear at the top, one side will do.
7bcbc332a028604b51691bec505b75c9.jpg


I then used a strip of old t-shirt (credit goes to Delboy's Garage video), double wrapped around the pipe and slid back and forth up and down the pipe to apply the polish, followed by a piece of clean t-shirt to remove any remaining residue. I was pleased with the results. I did do one more complete pass of the process because it went too smoothly. :)
7eb72dc8b92b15b3dcbf87645c5f0168.jpg


As mentioned in an earlier post, I may apply some Honda Spray Cleaner/Polish as a top coat for a protectant.

Also as noted in an earlier post: It did not remove the liver spots, only lightened them. At least they match the rider. :s
 
I just HAVE to try that! Cause my way ain't cuttin' it. :D
 
I'll have to give Mother's a try. I've been using blue magic metal polish but it takes considerable effort to get them clean and shiny. Maybe I should clean them more than a couple of times a year, lol.
 
The 2013 CB creates a lot of liver spots on the headers of the exhaust system. Mine does it too, right from the start. The first year I try to stop it by polishing them with Autosol, which wasn't easy and took some time. But the spots returned again and again. Then I changed the not very satisfying procedere. I cleaned the headers and after a ride let the headers cool down, took a rag, sprayed some Balistol on it and rubbed an oil protection film on the headers.

I wipe the oil away before I ride the bike again, so it can't burn into the metal. The headers look clean without any new spots. Since that day this is the way to keep the headers clean and be a joy to look at. Sure, the ever on going oiling also takes some time, but not that much as the polishing act. The only time new spots appear is, if I forget the oiling. Sometimes I polish in between, but this is nothing in comparison to my first attempts.

Wisedrum
 
I use a similar system to Wisedrum and use WD40 after each ride.

To polish the spots away I have tried Autosol paste , Mothers , various stainless cleaners and Optiglanz. However the best product with least effort is Autosol metal lifesaver-250ml. It takes off the heavy staining and spots with little effort. Followed up with a light polish with the Autosol paste.

The oiling with WD40 stops the corrosion and spots forming for months on end. Previously it was a frustrating set of spotted pipes each time I went out and left the bike sit around for a few weeks. They appear without even riding.

The oiling was something I picked up in an old post some time back. Worth the extra but small effort compared to the scrubbing of the past.
 
Thanks for the tips Wisedrum and Vic. :thumbsup:

I can't find Autosol metal life saver on the USA website or on amazon. I do see it on the Australian website.
 
Back
Top