SW Motech crash Bars, Honda Metal polish .

wildezt_imp

Been there
Thread starter
wanted to share info on the bar on my bike (per Paul's request), and results of honda metal polish on the headers..

heres the SW Motech crash bar for the CB1100 I am so far happy with them, they are very inconspicuous and blend in to the frame:-


pricing info & shots from other angles can be found here, they are authorised dealers for it..piece of advice after ordering from them though is, follow up with them as they kind of have the tendency to mess up their inventory handling sometimes..:-
[url=http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-crashbars-engine-guards-for-honda-cb1100-13]http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-crashbars-engine-guards-for-honda-cb1100-13


I tried the cheap honda metal polish that comes in the tubes(I bought at the Honda dealer) with a couple metal polishing rags from autozone. I must say the polish dint even scratch the headers a bit (I kept the rag moist with the polish while rubbing and was careful not to use much force) and then wiped clear with another polishing rag.
These were the tools:-


and this is how the output looked like without much effort.(ps: Icouldnt get to all areas with my xl hands :D) but tried to run the rag around and did some see saw action which worked pretty ok I guess:-
[url=http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/wildezt/media/elbow_grease_zps93d837ca.jpg.html]
 
Those are the shiniest headers i've seen yet. Have you run them yet to see if it stays like that?
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Those are the shiniest headers i've seen yet. Have you run them yet to see if it stays like that?
Thank you Ferret.
Not yet, I guess they would return back to their beautiful golden color pretty quick..I'll post an update on how soon it comes up...
in a previous post Reno mentioned they returned to gold really fast, once he polished his CB's headers..
 
Thread starter
wildezt_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Those are the shiniest headers i've seen yet. Have you run them yet to see if it stays like that?
Thank you Ferret.
Not yet, I guess they would return back to their beautiful golden color pretty quick..I'll post an update on how soon it comes up...
in a previous post Reno mentioned they returned to gold really fast, once he polished his CB's headers..
Thank you Ferret.
Not yet, I guess they would return back to their beautiful golden color pretty quick..I'll post an update on how soon it comes up...
in a previous post Reno mentioned they returned to gold really fast, once he polished his CB's headers..
update 07/21: just came back from a short 10 mile ride, and they appear to have lost their polished steel'ness and starting to bronze out mildly.
 
wildezt_imp said:
wanted to share info on the bar on my bike (per Paul's request), and results of honda metal polish on the headers..

heres the SW Motech crash bar for the CB1100 I am so far happy with them, they are very inconspicuous and blend in to the frame:-


pricing info & shots from other angles can be found here, they are authorised dealers for it..piece of advice after ordering from them though is, follow up with them as they kind of have the tendency to mess up their inventory handling sometimes..:-
[url=http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-crashbars-engine-guards-for-honda-cb1100-13]http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-crashbars-engine-guards-for-honda-cb1100-13


I tried the cheap honda metal polish that comes in the tubes(I bought at the Honda dealer) with a couple metal polishing rags from autozone. I must say the polish dint even scratch the headers a bit (I kept the rag moist with the polish while rubbing and was careful not to use much force) and then wiped clear with another polishing rag.
These were the tools:-


and this is how the output looked like without much effort.(ps: Icouldnt get to all areas with my xl hands :D) but tried to run the rag around and did some see saw action which worked pretty ok I guess:-
[url=http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/wildezt/media/elbow_grease_zps93d837ca.jpg.html]

Hi wildezt ,
Thanks for sharing the information ... BTW you should get the "most well maintained CB11" award .... :)

Cheers !!!!!!
 
I hit mine every now and then, but I guess I'll get used used to loving the bronze look.
 
Thread starter
Ha ha thanks nanotech..I try to keep her clean, once a week like all of us here :). Nothing like cleaning her up and watching her shine.!

True Popgun, the bronze color is growing up on me too..!
 
Polished steel looks very nice but the bronze look is sweet too. My Griso is the green SE with brown seat so the bronze look is especially nice looking. I think the bronze goes well on a red bike (bronze seems to go well with a lot of colour schemes).

I think of it like cast iron cook wear. New looks good, but a well seasoned pan has a certain rugged handsomeness to it that is appealing.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Polished steel looks very nice but the bronze look is sweet too. My Griso is the green SE with brown seat so the bronze look is especially nice looking. I think the bronze goes well on a red bike (bronze seems to go well with a lot of colour schemes).

I think of it like cast iron cook wear. New looks good, but a well seasoned pan has a certain rugged handsomeness to it that is appealing.
very true Rboe..!
 
Twisted Throttle shipped out my SW Motech case savers (black), received them yesterday, installed today. They look factory (except for the sw-motech label). V Twin experience pushed me to use blue Loctite on the threads; just in case.

Massive rains expected today so no riding. Did too much riding in the rain when I lived in Minnesota (and the bike is still too new to subject it to rain just yet) so where possible I simply avoid it.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Twisted Throttle shipped out my SW Motech case savers (black), received them yesterday, installed today. They look factory (except for the sw-motech label). V Twin experience pushed me to use blue Loctite on the threads; just in case.

Massive rains expected today so no riding. Did too much riding in the rain when I lived in Minnesota (and the bike is still too new to subject it to rain just yet) so where possible I simply avoid it.

nice..:thumbsup:
 
About five more weeks of not riding so I pulled the CB out to sit on and start her up. Mounted a tank bag I had sitting on the shelf and decided I could bother you guys with a couple shots of the new SW Motech case savers installed.
I think they look factory in black and really blend into her lines so at times it's hard to tell they are there.
 
Very nice, I put these on my bike a few weeks ago, and almost forgot they're even there.

So, with these on the bike, do you think the pegs will still scrape first in a deep lean? To me, it seems they will, but I'd hate to be wrong. I don't think it would take much contact with the bars to induce a nasty lowside.
 
They look great and i'm sure would funtion well but I'd recommend you quickly remove them, pack them securely in a box and ship them directly to me. Ill test them for fit and finish and lean angle and then give a full report to the group!

Jim21680_imp said:
Very nice, I put these on my bike a few weeks ago, and almost forgot they're even there.

So, with these on the bike, do you think the pegs will still scrape first in a deep lean? To me, it seems they will, but I'd hate to be wrong. I don't think it would take much contact with the bars to induce a nasty lowside.
 
Back
Top