misterprofessionality
Road warrior
Thread starter
i agree about the internet thing, but the problem is there's no real video resources on the net about specifically how to do this thing. I would need to sit down and watch somebody do it, preferably repeatedly, before attempting it myself. there's probably a video about taking apart the forks on some other bike somewhere, but nothing specifically about lifting the top bridge on the CB1100. then of course you guys have probably seen my other thread about having basically no tools. it's a really sticky situation. times like these, i sometimes figure it's better to give up than to f*** something up that I can't afford to fix.
That said, the idea about bolt-cutting the steel rods and and just sliding the thing out is almost crazy enough to work. it's extra money to replace the bracket, but I wouldn't have to do that right away. maybe in a couple of years. it is a waste of money, but it might be the only thing my limited skill set can tackle. i'm going to give it some serious thought, and take a look at Pekings description of what to do with the top bridge to make triple sure I actually have the necessary tools for that.
edit: nope, i didn't have to read very far into that. I definitely don't have anything that can deal with a 30mm nut, and i certainly don't have a torque wrench, or even a rubber mallet. So, by the time i buy 4-5 tools just for this job, i've paid a mechanic. I'm going to keep thinking about what to do, but i don't think lifting the top bridge is going to be within my grasp.
That said, the idea about bolt-cutting the steel rods and and just sliding the thing out is almost crazy enough to work. it's extra money to replace the bracket, but I wouldn't have to do that right away. maybe in a couple of years. it is a waste of money, but it might be the only thing my limited skill set can tackle. i'm going to give it some serious thought, and take a look at Pekings description of what to do with the top bridge to make triple sure I actually have the necessary tools for that.
edit: nope, i didn't have to read very far into that. I definitely don't have anything that can deal with a 30mm nut, and i certainly don't have a torque wrench, or even a rubber mallet. So, by the time i buy 4-5 tools just for this job, i've paid a mechanic. I'm going to keep thinking about what to do, but i don't think lifting the top bridge is going to be within my grasp.