Moriwaki headlight bracket.

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
For various reasons, i'm looking closely at replacing my headlight bracket. There are a couple of solid aftermarket brackets, but I've run across this one from Moriwaki:

MORIWAKI : Headlight Stay [06131-201P1-00]

they look like they'd serve my purposes perfectly, but the description on Webike states that it only works for CB1100RS/EX-17. I know there are a couple of members on the forum who own both the '14/13 and the '17, so would anybody mind giving me some insight as to what the difference between headlight mounting on the '17 and the '14 might be? for the life of me, I can't see any reason why this shouldn't work on a '14, but I defer to the people who know better.
 
Have you looked at the parts diagrams for clues?
 
Thread starter
i have, but that didn't get me anywhere, because i can't see enough of the bracket on the one picture Webike provides to tell exactly it mounts to the bike.

the '17 headlight bracket, for instance, is shaped completely differently to the Moriwaki bracket. it's much longer and bent, and yet webike claims the '17 is the only one the bracket fits. the '14 bracket looks a lot more like it, but, again, i'm at a loss to determine exactly how it mounts in the first place.

I really wish there were parts diagrams for aftermarket parts too.
posting the parts diagrams in question
and here's the 17 too
 
Thread starter
it's related to a larger thread I have going about a turn signal changeout. If it's successful i'll end up posting it there. basically this is one of two possible solutions I have going right now, but I think it may not work out.

I'm also looking at another alternative headlight bracket from WM, but it's twice as much money. if I can get the Moriwaki to work, that'd be best.
 
You could ask MrT.
 
I don’t know.
 
Takashi is very nice. Bought something through him that is not his speciality, no problem in my case :)
 
I had looked into mounting configurations a while back, related to how a Dart Fly Screen would mount. As you noticed, the '17 bucket ears have a significant bend to them, while the '14 bucket ears are more flat. The reason for ear shape difference is in the steel rod frame the bracket ears bolt to, and the ear mounting flanges that are welded to the rod frame. Part #20 is the '17 frame in one diagram, part #21 is the '14 frame in the other diagram, and there are significant differences between the two.

You can see in the '14 diagram of part ( frame ) #21, that the ear mounting flange basically faces directly towards the front of the bike. By comparison, in the '17 diagram, part ( frame ) #20, you can see that the ear mounting flange is angled to the side and rear of the bike. I dont know if I said that well enough to be clear or not. Then too, at this point, we do not know if the distance between the mounting bolt holes in the '17 Moriwaki bucket brackets would match up with the holes in the '14 frame flanges.

From what I see on my 2017 bike and the diagrams, I think Web Bike is correct that it will not fit a 2014. Hope this helps.
 
Thread starter
back to this headlight bracket mess, I've landed on a replacement bracket that will work, But I now realize that I don't fully understand how the stock headlight bracket is removed. the parts diagram doesn't show any bolts or screws fastening it in place, and I can't find any in person. Is it held in entirely by tension (the four pegs that stick into the tree)? Or is there something I have to remove in order to pull it off?
 
Thread starter
oh, i'm sorry, maybe i'm using the wrong terms when I say headlight bracket. i'm referring to the entire assembly in the picture, including the part to which the turn signal mounts are connected. the whole bit behind the headlight is included in this operation. That's the part i'm not understanding.

edit: specifically it's #21 on the diagram.
 
Give the upper and lower rubber pieces- maybe it is captured in place by something? Never looked that close.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Dubs, yes you're right. those four pegs seat into rubber bits which are seated above and below into the top bridge and steering stem bridge below. What i'm wondering is if you have to remove those parts (god help me) to get the assembly out or if you can just squeeze it out like a snap ring.
 
The wire steel headlight brackets are captured in place by holes in the upper and lower triple clamps. You have to lift the upper clamp up to remove it. That is pretty thick steel

And I agree with 2017EX, the black portion of the Moriwaki brackets will not fit the 2013-2014 models - the screws come from the back of the bike facing forward, not like the two visible screws on the earlier models. However, the silver aluminum portion may bolt onto your existing mount if the hole spacing is the same.
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
The wire steel headlight brackets are captured in place by holes in the upper and lower triple clamps. You have to lift the upper clamp up to remove it. That is pretty thick steel

And I agree with 2017EX, the black portion of the Moriwaki brackets will not fit the 2013-2014 models - the screws come from the back of the bike facing forward, not like the two visible screws on the earlier models. However, the silver aluminum portion may bolt onto your existing mount if the hole spacing is the same.
ouch. that is a worst case scenario. there's no way i'm qualified to do that, and I did not budget a mechanics time into this. i'm really batting 1000 here....
 
First, it's not a terribly difficult job. The top clamp only needs to be moved up 1/2" for that bracket to clear. You will want the bike on the centerstand, the tank covered top and sides with a heavy blanket or a thick jacket (no zippers or buttons).

Remove the handlebars and lay them on the tank carefully - nothing needs to be disconnected, nothing will leak. Remove the top stem nut (30mm), and for added precaution, clamp the handlebars back in place securely so they don't move around on the tank. Now loosen the pinch bolt on either side of the top clamp a couple turns.

With a plastic or rubber hammer, tap gently on the underside of the top clamp, alternating side-to-side, so that the top clamp comes up about 1/2"-5/8" - definitely no more. You do not want to slide the tubes out of the top clamp, just for convenience.

The bracket should slip out. Reassemble by tapping the top clamp back down evenly, tighten and torque the center nut, then tighten and torque the pinch bolts.
Second, if you don't want to do that, and don't forsee re-using that bracket, there are a couple alternatives. In all cases, keep that tank covered up to protect it. An ounce of prevention.......

With the headlight case off, you can cut the bracket rods with a bolt cutter (if you or your friends don't have one, you've led an exemplary life). Harbor Freight has a 12" for less than $10, which should be adequate.

Third, you could use a grinder/cutting wheel, but that will get fine metal particles everywhere. And if you had to re-use it, you could weld it, file smooth and repaint it, or buy a new one. The bracket is about $100, about what a shop charges an hour.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
The wire steel headlight brackets are captured in place by holes in the upper and lower triple clamps. You have to lift the upper clamp up to remove it. That is pretty thick steel

And I agree with 2017EX, the black portion of the Moriwaki brackets will not fit the 2013-2014 models - the screws come from the back of the bike facing forward, not like the two visible screws on the earlier models. However, the silver aluminum portion may bolt onto your existing mount if the hole spacing is the same.
ouch. that is a worst case scenario. there's no way i'm qualified to do that, and I did not budget a mechanics time into this. i'm really batting 1000 here....

If you can use the internet and tie your shoe, you can fix waaay more than you give yourself credit for.

But- failing the confidence to do that, find a local guy with a bike- makes friends with him and give him beers to help you. :)
 
If you can change out a pair of handlebars, this should be a breeze.
You learn by observing and doing. Everyone starts somewhere.
 
Back
Top