Michelin Pilot Road 3s...I joined the club

Thread starter
Yea mine does on the ST but the noise is funneled up through the opening in the fairing.

I rode the CB today and purposely listened for it on the CB and heard nothing. I don't doubt that it makes some noise, but wind noise drowns it out for me.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Yea mine does on the ST but the noise is funneled up through the opening in the fairing.

I rode the CB today and purposely listened for it on the CB and heard nothing. I don't doubt that it makes some noise, but wind noise drowns it out for me.

I remember my st funneling noise too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
resurrecting the PR3 thread.....

This is my Michelin PR3 rear tire after 11k miles...those of you that have already run multiple sets into the ground, how many more miles would you say i've got to go? looks like a whole lot of tread still left.
9b6ddb4b75aa7624ca35c4e31a3b4b9f.jpg
 
Wow, that's after 11k? That looks brand new. The tire appears to have 2-3mm left before it gets to the wear indicator bars in the center. So, several thousand miles, probably?
 
well, brand new it's not lol. i put these on at 8k and i'm over 19k now. i can tell when I look at it that it's worn. a new one is a good bit less "square" and feels different in the turns. However, the still-very-deep tread is what made me want to ask...just where is the bottom to this tire? this has got to be the longest lasting motorcycle tire i've ever seen.

so I've got about 5,000 miles between me and the WVA east coast rally in september. i guess i'll check back in about 3 or 4k miles? lol.
 
I got around 13,500 miles out of 3 PR3 rears. I’m pretty sure I changed them all a little before they were completely worn out to save me having to change them on a trip. I wish I could still get them. If they’re anything like the Pirelli Angel GTs, the final period of wear may be quite brief. I was on a trip with Pterodactyl which he thought his rear would survive but it decayed rapidly at the end and we had to find another for him.

Yours should go close to lasting until the rally.
 
I'm on my second set of PR3s. They're at about 7K miles and still look like they'll last the summer (about 4K-5K miles).

My first PR3 front tire went about 14K miles before the wear bars appeared. The rear lasted about 12K miles. They do start wearing more quickly towards the end of their life. Your rear tire still looks pretty good for 11K miles. I'd say you have at least a few more thousand miles to go.

Don't try to push it too far. A few years back I had the bike based in Idaho for the summer when my tire went from OK to balding pretty quickly. Ended up flying in my ready spare from Phoenix and spent a half a day trying to find a shop that would mount it without leaving the bike for a week.
 
MrP,

In kilometers as follows:

Rear Front
21,567 25,099
21,410 24,475
20,041 13,444

I only changed the 3rd front because I was changing tyre brands. Based on its condidtion at the time, it was good for at least another 10,000 kms. So, too, the 3rd rear. It had at least another 1-2,000 kms in it, but I was going for a 6,000 km trip and didn’t want to have to find new tyres and change them on a trip. I’ve done that before.

As I said in the earlier posts, I changed all my PR3s before they were completely knackered to make sure I was OK for long rides I as about to leave on.
 
Thanks for that rundown Cormanus. I was only asking to see if there was a possibility i could get a second rear tire out of my front, since it seems like there's just so little wear on it. But from the looks of your numbers, the the fronts don't necessarily last a whole lot longer than the rear. I'll just change both at the same time.
 
I ordered (and paid for it ) the new Continental Trail Attack 3 in December 2018 in the 150/70 18 size but as today they have not yet received the tire at my dealer and I have not seen that size anywhere else either. I just wait for this great tire , I have a Trail Attack 2 on my 2013 and love the tire.
 
MrP, looking at my records again, the first two PR3 front replacements occurred not long before significant rides, so it may well be that they had more to give. Being stingy, were I you, I’d change the rear and, if the front still looks good, I’d stick with it and see what it’s good for.
 
I'm trying to get PR3's mounted. My dealer can't get the front tire bead to seat. He's been doing this a long time...I don't think this is incompentance. He's tried the strap around the center and 140 psi to seat it. Has anyone else had a hard time with the 120/70 front tire?
 
Could not get the bead to be set on my rear bridgestone t31 too ( at petrol station air supply ) until i removed the valve insert, all ok then first go, it was the amount of air in a short time, but him being a dealer he would have already tried this.
 
I just took the plunge and put on a set of PR3's this weekend. Only have about 150 miles on them but I'm impressed, they seem to love the twisties. Much better than the Battlax's, I never felt comfortable on them. I just hope the $100 difference over the Angel GT's is worth it.
 
I took the tire to my local Honda dealer. They got it to seat after a 45 minute battle. They said they have never had such a difficult tire. They earned their $15 charge for sure!
 
I’ve never fitted the oversized front PR3, but I had 3 160 rear tyres that I don’t recall being a problem. Given that the tyre is theoretically too wide for the rim, it’s not altogether surprising that it’s a problem.
 
I went with the 120/70 front PR3 last time around. The shop didn't mention any difficulty getting the bead to seat. They mounted the tire and had it back on the bike in about 45 min.
 
The factory tires are dog turds, especially in the rain. My rear was squaring off at around 6k mark, so I got an oversized PR3, and love it to death. The front tire is wearing out in an angular pattern and I'm about to get an oversized (120/70) PR4 on there. While I'm at it, plan on getting a new set of brakes and chain, maybe even go up a few sprocket teeth. Can anyone recommend a brand or supplier for any of those? Found PR4 on Amazon for $160. As for brakes and chain, there has to be something better than OEM. Thanks in advance
 
Back
Top