Mendocino, The Sequel: Monica, mickey, and Guth

You've never owned a Ducati have you? Lol. Everyone I know that owns a Ducati complains about rear brake squeal. My son's is horrible.. Embarrassingly so.

I agree though, they shouldn't squeak
 
The Brembo's on my Monster don't squeal but the rear Brembo on my F800GT absolutely howls. My CB's brakes are quiet.

VLJ, great writing as usual. Thanks!
 
Thread starter
LongRanger, thanks.

I'm just wondering why this thread was moved here, where few will see it. It's a follow-up Part Two ride-review to the Part One thread that was allowed to remain on the General Discussion board. If all this thread was about was the location I visited, sure, I could see it being shunted off to the Seat Time forum, but it's not. It's a follow-up discussion about a couple of performance tests I wanted to give the bike, following my first trip with her to Skaggs Canyon.

Otherwise, it seems that everyone is saying their rear brakes squeal. My rear brake is fine. It's the fronts that squeal. Has anyone here with a '17 CB1100 experienced front-brake squeal? If so, did it eventually go away on its own?

I'm curious as to what the Honda dealer would try to do to fix it.
 
Sometimes we notice a thread that's considered belonging in another forum and sometimes we miss it. If it's a ride report it goes in seat time. If your other one stayed in general, it shouldn't have. Cormanus caught this one and moved it. It shouldn't get any less "front page" here than in general because all posts are highlighted in " recent posts" plus any posts members don't read are highlighted so that they do see them, I believe. At least they are on my computer and I pad.
 
VLJ_imp said:
mickey, sure, to avoid the squeaking I can simply use the brakes differently. I don't want to. I shouldn't need to.

The brakes shouldn't squeak, regardless of how they're applied. They didn't squeak on any other bike I've owned, and I never had to remove the pads and apply grease to them.
Clean everything. If that doesn’t work—Try different pads on next go round. If that doesn’t work—Replace the rotors. If that doesn’t work—Get better earplugs
 
VLJ_imp said:
LongRanger, thanks.

I'm just wondering why this thread was moved here, where few will see it. It's a follow-up Part Two ride-review to the Part One thread that was allowed to remain on the General Discussion board. If all this thread was about was the location I visited, sure, I could see it being shunted off to the Seat Time forum, but it's not. It's a follow-up discussion about a couple of performance tests I wanted to give the bike, following my first trip with her to Skaggs Canyon.

Otherwise, it seems that everyone is saying their rear brakes squeal. My rear brake is fine. It's the fronts that squeal. Has anyone here with a '17 CB1100 experienced front-brake squeal? If so, did it eventually go away on its own?

I'm curious as to what the Honda dealer would try to do to fix it.
Several 2017 CB1100 EX owners have posted in other threads that our front brakes squeal just before stopping. No it does not go away. My dealer said they probably need cleaning, but did not do so when I had it in for a back brake problem.

They suggested I use them harder. Which I tried, but they still squeal coming to a stop. I assume, given that you appear to ride harder than I do, that this is not a proper fix for the problem.

I noticed the rear brake dragged when I turned the rear wheel to lube the chain. The dealer said it would pass as the brake pads wore down, and I should use the rear brake more. I did and the disk became discoloured. Honda Canada authorized the replacement of the rear disk and brake pads. Now the rear brake is as useless as dragging my feet. I assume there is air in the brake line that they did not bleed properly.

I will give the dealer one more try in the spring. If they fail again, I will have to read my new Helm Service Manual and learn to do it myself.

This ticks me off as my CB1100 EX cost me twice as much as my CB500X. I rode it for over 33,000 kilometers (20,500 miles) and never had a problem with the brakes.
 
Thread starter
That's my feeling, as well. The brakes should not squeal when coming to a gradual stop, or any other time, and a Honda service department should not pass the buck by advising the owner to ride the bike differently instead of remedying the issue at the source.
 
Can't tell you about your own service department, but mine is hardly "passing the buck". I realize that this could be a different issue since yours is with your front brake, but my service department has recommended the same exact things you have been talking about. I don't view that as passing the buck, but as trying to help me solve the squeak. Changing my braking style might stop the squeak, but that's not the point. Knowledge of under what circumstances the squeak occurs or does not occur has diagnostic value. Of course, that doesn't mean that the squeak will get fixed, but I view my service department's response as a helpful effort lacking, so far, the desired results.
 
Thread starter
If all a service department does in response to a brake-squealing issue is to tell the customer to brake harder, that's a clear-cut case of shirking their responsibility and passing the buck. Brakes should never squeal, regardless of how they're applied. The service department needs to ride the bike, experience the squeal, diagnose the cause, and provide a permanent mechanical solution.

Besides, I've already used the brakes hard—harder than most CB1100 owners will ever use their brakes, I would think—so any diagnostic value in braking harder has already been covered. My bike has 2,000 miles now, so the brakes are about as broken in as they're ever going to be.

It's time for the problem to go away. I'm calling my local dealer now to set up a warranty-repair appointment, and I definitely won't accept "just avoid any gradual braking when you come to a stop" as a solution.
 
Check for rear brake drag before you go in.
It is as easy as slowly turning the wheel.
If it does, the hub of the disk will discolour over time.
 
Thread starter
When I spun the rear wheel the other day while cleaning and lubing the chain, I didn't notice any brake drag. It definitely doesn't squeal, either.

I now have a warranty-repair appointment at my local dealer scheduled for next Thursday.
 
VLJ I absolutely agree with you. The remedy I was suggesting to you is a common practice for squealing brakes, but I didn't make use of it on my bike because squealing stopped after about 1300 km.

One thing that I had noticed is that slow speed ( just before coming to total stop ) breaking , occurred mostly when the handlebars was turned right.

I make very normal use of my brakes. Tried to break theme easily at first km's. In the beginning the rear was like it was not excited but now has a very nice feeling and it's very effective especially inside turns.

So I'm very curious to hear what you Honda mechanics are going to suggest, especially when they understand that " change your breaking style " is not an acceptable answer.:dodgy:
 
I guess I didn’t take my service guy’s advice as a solution. I took it as part of the process of finding a solution. I’m glad I have a service department that is working to help me.
 
you're right, he is a chatter box
 
Thread starter
240d7f7bd34348f1fe84d6f675373660.jpg
Wrote:LOL I've been out of the loop for a few days. The things I miss when I'm gone.
It was pretty cool, catching up with you while checking out the ocean together.
 
Been a while since I've been there. I've driven in and sailed in but never biked in. The time has come! Thanks for the report!
 
Back
Top