Massive weather front lashes eastern Australia

Rocky_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I hope all our friends along the eastern coast of Australia are high and dry.
Severe flooding, landslides and even tornados.
 
Thanks for your thoughts gentlemen. Things are fine here in Brisbane. It’s appropriately wet for the time of year. In Sydney and environs—Pterodactyl country—it’s dangerously wet.
 
Thread starter
Good to hear :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Although I've been to Sydney and environs, I didn't realize Brisbane was that far north of Sydney.
 
Yes, a tad under 1,000 kms. The hideous weather system has moved north to southeast Queensland and we’ got very wet indeed yesterday with lots more to come today. I haven’t read my rain gauge yet; but the met bureau is reporting 125 mls of rain in the past 24 hours.
 
Rocky, when I got to the gauge this morning there was 212.5 mls for the 24 hour period. Around 8”.
 
And there was I thinking it was a still from an apocalyptic movie! It’s an amazing shot. It’s still raining, although there’s been less in the past 24 hours.
 
It’s on our main news here this morning, looks horrendous. When Mother Nature let’s rip there’s nothing we can do really. Puts us in our place alright.
 
We have a famous poem "I love a sunburnt country" in part says "I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains."
We never seem to do things by halves.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Yeah, that is not Australia, but it is a lot of rain at one instant, likely causing flash floods.

The location is somewhere in Arizona.
Yep. That was taken by a local news helicopter pilot in Phoenix about 5 years ago. I remember that storm caused quite a bit of damage around town.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Yeah, that is not Australia, but it is a lot of rain at one instant, likely causing flash floods.

The location is somewhere in Arizona.
Yep. That was taken by a local news helicopter pilot in Phoenix about 5 years ago. I remember that storm caused quite a bit of damage around town.
Yep. That was taken by a local news helicopter pilot in Phoenix about 5 years ago. I remember that storm caused quite a bit of damage around town.
I find the overflow water management system around the greater Phoenix area pretty extensive. Every time I am there they are bone dry. However, given their design depth, clearly they are expected to handle high in-rush amounts of precipitation.
 
Back
Top