m-txd/rxd wire (white) ecu to instruments communication

deano

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello all, 

I am new to this Forum, and although searched, I can't find any help or results for the below subject, that had been previously posted. This now shows, when I search as :

Instrument Cluster - CB1100 Forum
We've been trying to replace the speedo on a ABS fitted CB1100 today with an Acewell in the workshop and there seem to be problems disconnecting the original speed
MyBB has experienced an internal SQL error and cannot continue.
SQL Error:
145 - Table './cb1100forum/mybb_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired
Query:
DELETE FROM mybb_sessions WHERE ip='82.10.41.143'
Please contact the MyBB Group for support.

The problem for me, is that I purchased a CB1100 RS 2017, that had been crashed damaged, and the clocks were smashed, and needed replacing, I could not find or buy, direct Cb1100 clocks, so bought the nearest looking, and best fit to the originals, from a CB400 Super Four VTEC (via AlixExpress) 

These work, but I have had to work out all the wiring for myself, as they are simply plugged to fit the CB400 Vtec, and not directly to the CB1100. 

My issue, is that the CB1100 rs uses a M-TxD/RxD white, communication wire, that sends info to and from the original clocks, back to the ECU. I guess, it runs inernally via the Engine management light, or Temp light, or oil pressure, or all of these, so if an issue, and these light up, it sends back to the ECU, to tell the bike, not to rev above 5,500 RPM, and in effect, run on limp mode.  

My question is this, how if I have swapped clocks, can I over come this issue ? 

Is there something I can coneect to this white wire, to override/ eliminate the info being sent back to the ECU ? 

Is there a fix, or has anyone else, come accross this issue, changed clocks for an Acwell or other brand, and had to fix this problem ?  

I really need your help guys ?  
 
Deano, this conversation occurred on the old cb1100forum, but has likely moved over here. Try searching using the forum's search function.

My recollection is that no one has managed to get non standard instruments working on a cb1100, but that could well be wrong.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus said:
Deano, this conversation occurred on the old cb1100forum, but has likely moved over here. Try searching using the forum's search function.

My recollection is that no one has managed to get non standard instruments working on a cb1100, but that could well be wrong.

Hello, 

Thanks for the speedy reply. I had tried searching this forum, with the old forum's info, relating to the thread, but surprised to see nothing came up. Could really do with finding out how those two previous users got around the issues, or at least read the replies, which may give clues to help me resolve my issue.  

The problem with the CB1100 EX or RS, is that not many have been sold, so a limited spares supply meant I could not find new/ second hand clocks, to simply put straight back on as repalcements. 

there has to be though, someone out there that has had to resolve this issue, or had issues relating to the communication ECU wire, at least I am hoping so. I can't belive such a great bike, which I have now sorted, is still not ready to ride, for such a ridiculous reason.  

many thanks, Deano
 
Deano, 
From the start, and there have been several members who wanted to use a non-standard meter.  as far as I can tell, no one has been successful.  The meter and ECM circuitry is proprietary, and no info outside Japan is available.   Unfortunately, no one knows what the circuit logic is, whether it's the same as any other meter.

Meter assemblies are different for the different years and models, and markets.  While the RS and EX look the same externally, they may not interchange because of the different tire diameters, and thus the speeds won't indicate precisely.  

In the past, I have collected and been able to repair CB1100 meter assemblies for others, and I wonder how far gone yours is. Are there any salvageable parts?  What parts/pieces do you need?  Can you send pics?  

(I am actually looking for a meter sub-harness, with the 3 connector blocks.  If you or anyone out there has one for sale, please send me a PM.  I will post this in the wanted section)
 
I don't think Webike is custom making the part, Honda P/N 37100MGCAC2 is the part for the 2017 RS that was specified for the USA but never imported. Honda P/N 37100MGCDC1 is the part for the 2017RS for much of the rest of the world. I've no idea whether you can buy it from this web site, but it's listed: Meter for Honda CB 1100 RS ABS 2017 - Honda
 
Thread starter
Cormanus said:
It does seem a ridiculous reason, but the gods of electronics are at a way higher pay grade than mine.

Don't know whether you'll find anything in either of these ...

The CB1100 Community Forum

The CB1100 Community Forum


Hello again, thanks very much for your help, and the links. Unfortunately as you said there doesn't seem to be a solution to my problem detailed within the forum. I never give up, so will persevere ( but was hoping to do so without great expense)
Thanks again, Deano.


pekingduck said:
Deano, 
From the start, and there have been several members who wanted to use a non-standard meter.  as far as I can tell, no one has been successful.  The meter and ECM circuitry is proprietary, and no info outside Japan is available.   Unfortunately, no one knows what the circuit logic is, whether it's the same as any other meter.

Meter assemblies are different for the different years and models, and markets.  While the RS and EX look the same externally, they may not interchange because of the different tire diameters, and thus the speeds won't indicate precisely.  

In the past, I have collected and been able to repair CB1100 meter assemblies for others, and I wonder how far gone yours is. Are there any salvageable parts?  What parts/pieces do you need?  Can you send pics?  

(I am actually looking for a meter sub-harness, with the 3 connector blocks.  If you or anyone out there has one for sale, please send me a PM.  I will post this in the wanted section)


Hello,
Many thanks for the reply.
As you can hopefully see from the images, I have removed the board from the damaged casing. It is unfortunately smashed on the right, tachco side, and the pin block and pins damaged, as well as the main board cracked. If I can't get the board repaired, I was wondering if somehow possible to still connect to White wire into the board, to then send data back, but my knowledge and understanding is very much on the hopeful and naive side.
What are your thoughts with what you see ?
Many thanks, Deano.
 

Attachments

  • 20260101_153454.webp
    20260101_153454.webp
    358.4 KB · Views: 72
I agree with peckingduck and what he said in his post #7.

If someone buys a vehicle after an accident, what they see isn't what they get, becase there are also hidden defects. 
I don't know it there are any other costs for mechanical repairs.

I used 2017Ex for evaluation because is the closest to RS.
A meeter assy with a sub harness = U$1200, and this shouid be enough to fix the cluster problem, unless a used assy is available.
Looking at the pic and dispite having decades of automotive experience, I would not undertake any repairs due to unforsean consequences and costs, but would instead buy the original assy.
After replacing the cluster, I would reset ECM residual values by disconnecting the battery cables and connecting them ( + and  - cables) for an half an hour.
 
PB, I'm working on getting a set of used 2017 EX gauges operational for Deano, waiting for a used eBay connector plug to test the meter assembly [attachment=977]on my bike.
 

Attachments

  • Untitledd.webp
    Untitledd.webp
    103.5 KB · Views: 120
Thread starter
pekingduck said:
PB, I'm working on getting a set of used 2017 EX gauges operational for Deano, waiting for a used eBay connector plug to test the meter assembly on my bike.


Wow, that is a lot of Honda, just to get that plug, but I guess it is the only way to be sure it's the right one.

I had ordered something similar for this RS from Aliexpress, but the slide and grooves of the body did not match up.

I will be out in the garage to photo what I have here as wiring & connections for the gauges (damaged off RS)

Many thanks, Deano
 
Thread starter
Hello all, 
I am getting desperate now. 
I need to find a set of instruments for a CB1100RS as mine were smashed in an accident. I tried replacing with CB400 vtec Superfour's, but out done at the end by the white comms wire, from the ECU. As I can't get help on how to overcome that issue, now looking to buy a set of clocks (instrument assembly) complete. 
Can anyone help, any where please, anyone breaking a CB1100RS? 
Many thanks, Dean
 
Are you not able to get replacement parts from Honda?
 
Only the outer case coverings are available. The speedometer, tachometer, digital panel, main circuitboard, harness, and the big inner white casing everything bolts to are not available.
 
Bummer. I thought Honda kept spares for 10 years?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus said:
Are you not able to get replacement parts from Honda?

Yes, for around $1,500, which is crazy money. 
Someone out there must be able to help without me needing to spend that. With the CB400 Vtec Superfour assembly on there, I had figured the speed, revs, fuel etc etc....just came down to that White comms wire, rendering all my hours of work useless,  which sucks.


peterbaron said:
I already sent cluster request to my Honda / Canada friend and awaiting his response.

Many thanks for your help.
 
deano said:
Yes, for around $1,500, which is crazy money. 

Can you provide the correct P/N for the cluster you need , is it 37100-MGC-CC2 ?G
You have a 2017 Honda CB1100RS?
Send me your VIN by pm or email.

In your case, I operate on an international market, so is easier for me to provide the correct part number, some sites request VIN to avoid errors!

One answer so far from a dealer, Canadian site is listed:
Gauge Cluster, 37100-MGC-CC2, C$1253 +13% tax + S&H, back order March 11-24

Expecting more info from Europe...
 
Back
Top