Lumbago - lower back pain

Riko_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
While its not an injury sustained from riding or a crash, it is related to the bike.

Yesterday I was best man for a friends wedding, it was a long day :)
So after a night sobering out I collectd my bike, rode home, all is good, felt good myself.
Than tried to put the bike on its centre stand, as I always do when I enter the garage.

Than all of a suden Ièhad this severe pain at my lower back.
Left the bike on the side stand and I could not even stand on my two feet :-/

Lumped my way to the living room still all geared up with back pack and all...trying to hold myself together.

I suppose I have an Lumbago, from my google research.
From reading, 50% recovers completely already after 1 week and 95% after 3 months.
I hope I'm in the first category cause it hurst like heck.

At first simply walking worked out fine, but now I can't even walk without pain, and if I walk I walk like a freaking monkey.
And laying down is also a battle against pain.

The bike is actually easy to put on its center stand.
But to protect the floor my dad put a piece of wood on the ground where the bike must rest on.
And that piece, how thin it may be, makes a difference in difficulty.
Without it, I bet I wouldn't get the injury.

That piece goes out the door.
Aiaiai, I hope it'll all work out fast...never saw this cuss coming.
 
Riko, that's no good. Go and see a physiotherapist as soon as you can to help you sort it out.
 
Riko, I'm sorry to hear it. I've been through it too, a few times. It will subside with time, and with therapy. You will hear from others that to reduce the likelihood of it recurring, you will need to work on strengthening your core (basically, your stomach muscles). Your core provides support to your lower back.

I was on a motorcycle trip the second time I experienced this. I was a day from home and couldn't stand, let alone walk, let alone ride a motorcycle. I spent two days in a hotel room before I could move. On the third morning I tried to get up, found that I could sit on my bike, and decided to ride home (about 600 miles). The riding position on my bike (low bars, rear set pegs) allowed me to stretch out my back and was actually quite therapeutic. I arrived home no worse for wear, but I did follow up with a doctor afterwards. Best of luck to you. It will get better.
 
You may have slipped a disc. If you're in the wrong position when you stressed the back with the lift you can easily (too easily if you ask me!!) slip a disc.

There are some things you can do to help (the classic, lay on your back, relax then, one leg at a time, slowly bring each knee up to your chin and hold for a minute or two, alternating between each leg. In the end you want to do both legs). It's a good thing to do as maintenance too.

If it causes more pain well then you gotta listen to your body and you should see a doctor. When it comes to your back, I have found seeing a doctor is a good thing as back failures give you the oddest symptoms that earlier experiences will fail to correctly deduce.

Welcome to old age. :D
 
The long day of partying, drinking, probably some dancing at the wedding and riding with a back pack I'm sure had so something to do with it. Then putting bike up on the stand just finished it off. Take about 600mg of ibuprofen like advil and get some rest. You will be like new in a couple days. If you re injured an old injury then may be a different story. I've been through this once or twice before.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Riko, that's no good. Go and see a physiotherapist as soon as you can to help you sort it out.
Rboe_imp said:
You may have slipped a disc. If you're in the wrong position when you stressed the back with the lift you can easily (too easily if you ask me!!) slip a disc.

There are some things you can do to help (the classic, lay on your back, relax then, one leg at a time, slowly bring each knee up to your chin and hold for a minute or two, alternating between each leg. In the end you want to do both legs). It's a good thing to do as maintenance too.

If it causes more pain well then you gotta listen to your body and you should see a doctor. When it comes to your back, I have found seeing a doctor is a good thing as back failures give you the oddest symptoms that earlier experiences will fail to correctly deduce.

Welcome to old age. :D
LongRanger_imp said:
Riko, I'm sorry to hear it. I've been through it too, a few times. It will subside with time, and with therapy. You will hear from others that to reduce the likelihood of it recurring, you will need to work on strengthening your core (basically, your stomach muscles). Your core provides support to your lower back.

I was on a motorcycle trip the second time I experienced this. I was a day from home and couldn't stand, let alone walk, let alone ride a motorcycle. I spent two days in a hotel room before I could move. On the third morning I tried to get up, found that I could sit on my bike, and decided to ride home (about 600 miles). The riding position on my bike (low bars, rear set pegs) allowed me to stretch out my back and was actually quite therapeutic. I arrived home no worse for wear, but I did follow up with a doctor afterwards. Best of luck to you. It will get better.
thank you all for these hopefull words!
 
I've lived with it off and on for 40 years. It started as a sports injury, then it would occasionally pop up when I picked up something wrong. Last big flare up was in 2013 while on the motocross track. I cleared a relatively short double then BAM! felt like someone stuck a knife in the lower back. It took three weeks to go away but then it resurfaced as very bad sciatica. Turns out I had a ruptured L4 disk. I refused surgery and opted for the needle (cortisone) instead. I've been fine since. I still ride off road just no more MX tracks with crazy areal jumps.

Hang in there. This too will pass and you'll be good as new.
 
Surgery. If you need it and wait too long, nerves to your feet get killed causing no end of trouble. For a lifetime.

Get the surgery and you have a whole new kettle of fish with scare tissue being, potentially, as big a problem, if not bigger, than the original problem.

Took me 2.5 years, but I avoided surgery by a whisker. Normally ruptured discs take about 6 months to heal. Took me a bit longer.

Ruptured discs and slipped ones can feel similar, takes a while to tell the difference. MRI is about the only way to know for sure.
 
*Disc-laimer*
I am not a back specialist, but my cousin is an Orthopedic Surgeon and good friend is a Neuro Surgeon. I have herniated L4 and L5 from old Karate injury in the 80's. They both suggested to try the list below, before the Cortisone shot.
Moist heat/heating pad, very soothing to me
Stretching exercises, they help slowly
Therapeutic massages, awesome but expensive
Yoga/meditation/relaxation, help with sleeping
Anti-inflammatory, I don't like taking pills
Muscle relaxants, make you drowsy and can create dependency, read above
Posture management, ergonomic seating at work
Inversion table, did not help much
Vax-D Therapy= Vertebral Axial Decompression, Chiropractors use this machine, I don't believe in it
Alternative drugs to manage pain like Marihuana, not for me, I don't smoke
Acupuncture, provides only temporary relief
TENS unit, for pain blockage and works best for me

Sometimes, I wear a fabric made weight lifting belt for support, it helps, but bulky
The Cortisone shot is a 50/50 chance at best, sometimes you need another shot. Problem is, when you feel good you might do something and injure worst. Hate needles and risk associated with the shot, so not for me.
I have not done surgery either. It is the last resource once you have: muscle weakness, sensation loss (numb area), tingling or burning sensation that doesn't go away, severe pain that doesn't respond to pain management and lastly loss of function.

Try any or all of the above before a shot or surgery.
Hope you get well soon, lower back pain sucks.
 
Thread starter
thx again for all the tips and also the personal stories, I enjoy reading them while lying here :)

Rboe_imp said:
You may have slipped a disc. If you're in the wrong position when you stressed the back with the lift you can easily (too easily if you ask me!!) slip a disc.

There are some things you can do to help (the classic, lay on your back, relax then, one leg at a time, slowly bring each knee up to your chin and hold for a minute or two, alternating between each leg. In the end you want to do both legs). It's a good thing to do as maintenance too.

If it causes more pain well then you gotta listen to your body and you should see a doctor. When it comes to your back, I have found seeing a doctor is a good thing as back failures give you the oddest symptoms that earlier experiences will fail to correctly deduce.

Welcome to old age. :D
meanwhile I've tried your tip and seems to work without too much pain
Already made an appointment with the doc this afternoon.

Good thing tomorrow is a holiday.

This all came quit as a surprise since I do some basic maintenance excersises every day.
Pumping and sit ups.
Laying on my back and lifting my legs.

Ow well, I'll wait and see diagnose.
 
Unfortunately this is a fairly common occurance for active men, and once it happens you are even more suceptible for it happening again. I have had it several times. First time I went to emergency ward of hospital where they administered a shot which helped tremendously but still required a couple of days of bed rest. I think its happened 2 times since which I did the moist heat pad, rest, ibuprophin routine. The thing is once it has happened, you never know when it is going to happen again. Pick up something wrong again and BAM! Backs out. It may be a couple years, but eventually when you least expect it, it will happen again.

I feel for ya Riko. It's certainly no fun. Get some rest, heal up, and then start being real careful about how you lift things.
 
Thread starter
thx for the heads up!

I tried to do a so called pelvic tilt...


Can't barely move upwards :-/
Rboe_imp said:
You may have slipped a disc. If you're in the wrong position when you stressed the back with the lift you can easily (too easily if you ask me!!) slip a disc.

There are some things you can do to help (the classic, lay on your back, relax then, one leg at a time, slowly bring each knee up to your chin and hold for a minute or two, alternating between each leg. In the end you want to do both legs). It's a good thing to do as maintenance too.

If it causes more pain well then you gotta listen to your body and you should see a doctor. When it comes to your back, I have found seeing a doctor is a good thing as back failures give you the oddest symptoms that earlier experiences will fail to correctly deduce.

Welcome to old age. :D
did some research bout slipped discs, and luckely I don't seem to have any of these symptoms:


Reading those I'm thinking yikes, thats like he** :s

But as of now, walking and sitting is discomforting.
Laying down seems to be the only thing I'm good at now.
Ow and walking DOWN the stairs :)
I could walk down stairs all day...
 
Riko.. Try laying on the floor on your back, with your tush tight against the front of your couch with your calves on the seat portion. Kind of like the position 1 of the pelvic raise above only your legs are resting on the couch cushion. The closer you can get your tush to the front of the couch the better. That position always helped me.
 
I can sympathize with all of this as I have a "tender" lower back too and have to be careful how I bend or lift.
It also doesn't help getting closer to your 80th birthday :P
 
Working the core tummy muscles are a great help; they assist the abused back muscles in keeping you upright.

Bulging and or ruptured discs tpically causes pain down the siatica, folded sock syndrome and a limp. For me, a slipped disc feels like a rod got jammed in the back and I can't bend very well. It's kinda scary (especially the sound when it slips back) but when I slip a disc I prop up a leg on something tall like a fence (sorta even with my waist), raise up the arms to my shoulders (sometimes with my fists on my chest), then while standing as straight as I can I twist away from the elevated leg as far as I can. Say about 2.5 revolutions (OK, slight exaggeration :D ). No bouncing, just a good solid even pressure into the rotation. Repeat on the other side.

Sometimes this will pop the disc back - about a third of the time. The rest of the time it usually slips back later in the day or over night. Also a good one to do just because.

Some have told me that having a small gal from the far eastern pacific rim walk on your back in high heals is supposed to be good too but I have not tried that yet. :rolleyes:
 
I don't understand the motorcyclists with all kind of over-the-top protective gear, and no simple kidney belt.

And on lifting the bike on the center stand: I often see riders who hold both handlebars while trying to do it. In that position, unless you are very tall, you are exerting a fair bit of downward force in a twisted and bent position, courting a spine injury. Instead, when lifting the bike on the center stand, leave the left hand on the handle-bar, but with your right hand grab something on the rear left side of the bike: passenger hand-hold, cargo carrier or similar. Then, while in nearly straight, upright position, step with your full weight on the stand foot-lever.
 
Thread starter
rotor_imp said:
I don't understand the motorcyclists with all kind of over-the-top protective gear, and no simple kidney belt.

And on lifting the bike on the center stand: I often see riders who hold both handlebars while trying to do it. In that position, unless you are very tall, you are exerting a fair bit of downward force in a twisted and bent position, courting a spine injury. Instead, when lifting the bike on the center stand, leave the left hand on the handle-bar, but with your right hand grab something on the rear left side of the bike: passenger hand-hold, cargo carrier or similar. Then, while in nearly straight, upright position, step with your full weight on the stand foot-lever.
From now on THATS not even a certainty anymore to avoid a lumbago.

Am gonna look into those kidneybelts for sure.

Thx all!
 
But, Riko, having to lift the bike onto a piece of wood is what made it so hard.
 
Back
Top