Lord Popgun
Road warrior
I'm definitely looking into this as I had a back thing too after a trip this Summer.dsan1964_imp said:I have a nice alpinestar touring kidney belt... I like it. Recommend it.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I'm definitely looking into this as I had a back thing too after a trip this Summer.dsan1964_imp said:I have a nice alpinestar touring kidney belt... I like it. Recommend it.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have sworn off centerstands. Centerstands can bring on exactly this kind of problem. I removed mine. It is not that easy to get the bike on this centerstand compared to a lot of bikes I've previously owned. That piece of wood had little or nothing to do with, I'd wager. You should not use that stand again unless you're willing to risk further injury and pain. You can get a real nice Pit Bull rear stand, takes some technique but practically no effort. GET HELP and a spotter the first few times until you figure it out, as with anything else.Riko_imp said:While its not an injury sustained from riding or a crash, it is related to the bike.
Yesterday I was best man for a friends wedding, it was a long day
So after a night sobering out I collectd my bike, rode home, all is good, felt good myself.
Than tried to put the bike on its centre stand, as I always do when I enter the garage.
Than all of a suden Ièhad this severe pain at my lower back.
Left the bike on the side stand and I could not even stand on my two feet :-/
Lumped my way to the living room still all geared up with back pack and all...trying to hold myself together.
I suppose I have an Lumbago, from my google research.
From reading, 50% recovers completely already after 1 week and 95% after 3 months.
I hope I'm in the first category cause it hurst like heck.
At first simply walking worked out fine, but now I can't even walk without pain, and if I walk I walk like a freaking monkey.
And laying down is also a battle against pain.
The bike is actually easy to put on its center stand.
But to protect the floor my dad put a piece of wood on the ground where the bike must rest on.
And that piece, how thin it may be, makes a difference in difficulty.
Without it, I bet I wouldn't get the injury.
That piece goes out the door.
Aiaiai, I hope it'll all work out fast...never saw this cuss coming.
Absolutely, don't mess around with back pain.Cormanus_imp said:Riko, that's no good. Go and see a physiotherapist as soon as you can to help you sort it out.

indeed! Gotta find some compromise here, he wants to protect his floor and I dont want anything that raises the bike more than 3mm or so from ground level.Cormanus_imp said:But, Riko, having to lift the bike onto a piece of wood is what made it so hard.
ow believe me, the difference is night and day, you'd be amazed what a piece of wood of just 1cm (or 8mm) thick does to the centerstand procesUlvetanna_imp said:I have sworn off centerstands. Centerstands can bring on exactly this kind of problem. I removed mine. It is not that easy to get the bike on this centerstand compared to a lot of bikes I've previously owned. That piece of wood had little or nothing to do with, I'd wager. You should not use that stand again unless you're willing to risk further injury and pain. You can get a real nice Pit Bull rear stand, takes some technique but practically no effort. GET HELP and a spotter the first few times until you figure it out, as with anything else.Riko_imp said:While its not an injury sustained from riding or a crash, it is related to the bike.
Yesterday I was best man for a friends wedding, it was a long day
So after a night sobering out I collectd my bike, rode home, all is good, felt good myself.
Than tried to put the bike on its centre stand, as I always do when I enter the garage.
Than all of a suden Ièhad this severe pain at my lower back.
Left the bike on the side stand and I could not even stand on my two feet :-/
Lumped my way to the living room still all geared up with back pack and all...trying to hold myself together.
I suppose I have an Lumbago, from my google research.
From reading, 50% recovers completely already after 1 week and 95% after 3 months.
I hope I'm in the first category cause it hurst like heck.
At first simply walking worked out fine, but now I can't even walk without pain, and if I walk I walk like a freaking monkey.
And laying down is also a battle against pain.
The bike is actually easy to put on its center stand.
But to protect the floor my dad put a piece of wood on the ground where the bike must rest on.
And that piece, how thin it may be, makes a difference in difficulty.
Without it, I bet I wouldn't get the injury.
That piece goes out the door.
Aiaiai, I hope it'll all work out fast...never saw this cuss coming.
Or, you can use a jack stand, but same thing, the bike can still fall over. Be careful out there.
Lumbago is a archaic term and is non-specific. You could have some very problematic injuries, such as a herniated disk. You definitely need to have it examined by a doctor. Good luck!
Absolutely, don't mess around with back pain.Cormanus_imp said:Riko, that's no good. Go and see a physiotherapist as soon as you can to help you sort it out.![]()

Yeah, no doubt it didn't help matters at all. Just look at it like this, you are now in the club of folks who have bad backs. Your back will always have a tendency go out now so you gotta protect it. It's more valuable than the floor of your garage!Riko_imp said:indeed! Gotta find some compromise here, he wants to protect his floor and I dont want anything that raises the bike more than 3mm or so from ground level.Cormanus_imp said:But, Riko, having to lift the bike onto a piece of wood is what made it so hard.
I already have a mat
![]()
if it was up to me that will do to protect the floor....
Anyhow, Monday I was officially diagnosed with Lumabago.
I got 2 prescriptions, something against inflamation, forgot the name.
And something to relieve the muscle tension, muscle relaxant.
Don't have to work till the end of the week, so I hope I'm more or less restored by Monday. :-/
Makes me wonder, what kidneybelts are worth it?
Too much choise, zero expereience and prices differ...
Are these cheap ones sufficient?
Niergordel kopen? | #1 in Motorkled
Or is a high end one a 'better' wich does the job better?
For example, this one from Leatt
Leatt 3DF Nier gordel ► nu online kopen bij FC-Moto
![]()
Its the only one wich seems to be 'certified' and 'tested'
tested and certified as impact protection: Lumbar EN1621-2 Level 1
ow believe me, the difference is night and day, you'd be amazed what a piece of wood of just 1cm (or 8mm) thick does to the centerstand procesUlvetanna_imp said:I have sworn off centerstands. Centerstands can bring on exactly this kind of problem. I removed mine. It is not that easy to get the bike on this centerstand compared to a lot of bikes I've previously owned. That piece of wood had little or nothing to do with, I'd wager. You should not use that stand again unless you're willing to risk further injury and pain. You can get a real nice Pit Bull rear stand, takes some technique but practically no effort. GET HELP and a spotter the first few times until you figure it out, as with anything else.Riko_imp said:While its not an injury sustained from riding or a crash, it is related to the bike.
Yesterday I was best man for a friends wedding, it was a long day
So after a night sobering out I collectd my bike, rode home, all is good, felt good myself.
Than tried to put the bike on its centre stand, as I always do when I enter the garage.
Than all of a suden Ièhad this severe pain at my lower back.
Left the bike on the side stand and I could not even stand on my two feet :-/
Lumped my way to the living room still all geared up with back pack and all...trying to hold myself together.
I suppose I have an Lumbago, from my google research.
From reading, 50% recovers completely already after 1 week and 95% after 3 months.
I hope I'm in the first category cause it hurst like heck.
At first simply walking worked out fine, but now I can't even walk without pain, and if I walk I walk like a freaking monkey.
And laying down is also a battle against pain.
The bike is actually easy to put on its center stand.
But to protect the floor my dad put a piece of wood on the ground where the bike must rest on.
And that piece, how thin it may be, makes a difference in difficulty.
Without it, I bet I wouldn't get the injury.
That piece goes out the door.
Aiaiai, I hope it'll all work out fast...never saw this cuss coming.
Or, you can use a jack stand, but same thing, the bike can still fall over. Be careful out there.
Lumbago is a archaic term and is non-specific. You could have some very problematic injuries, such as a herniated disk. You definitely need to have it examined by a doctor. Good luck!
Absolutely, don't mess around with back pain.Cormanus_imp said:Riko, that's no good. Go and see a physiotherapist as soon as you can to help you sort it out.![]()
And after investigation by the doc he asked me what I thought I had and I replied Lumbago, he concurred.
I had the least painfull one, so if its archaic, I had the least severe one, no harnia, no nerves touched etc, good old simple 'acute lumbago'
Still, I feel very handicaped.
)I'd say forget about "certified and tested"; a garden variety kidney belt is likely all you need. The purpose of kidney belt is not to offer any "impact protection"; if you need this, it should be provided by your jacket. The belt simply relieves your muscles from constant work and tension required to keep your spine reasonably straight, especially riding on slightly bumpy road. First and foremost, the kidney belt must feel very, very comfortable when worn under the jacket. It should be reasonably stiff, but if too stiff, it wont be comfortable. It must be slightly elastic, but not excessively so. I found that they wear out after a couple of seasons, but if the cost is in the order of about $25.- or so, I'd rather replace such item than use something "better made", more expensive and probably less comfortable. Mine is 7" wide at front, I wouldn't want it any narrower.Riko_imp said:indeed! Gotta find some compromise here, he wants to protect his floor and I dont want anything that raises the bike more than 3mm or so from ground level.Cormanus_imp said:But, Riko, having to lift the bike onto a piece of wood is what made it so hard.
I already have a mat
![]()
if it was up to me that will do to protect the floor....
Anyhow, Monday I was officially diagnosed with Lumabago.
I got 2 prescriptions, something against inflamation, forgot the name.
And something to relieve the muscle tension, muscle relaxant.
Don't have to work till the end of the week, so I hope I'm more or less restored by Monday. :-/
Makes me wonder, what kidneybelts are worth it?
Too much choise, zero expereience and prices differ...
Are these cheap ones sufficient?
Niergordel kopen? | #1 in Motorkled
Or is a high end one a 'better' wich does the job better?
For example, this one from Leatt
Leatt 3DF Nier gordel ► nu online kopen bij FC-Moto
![]()
Its the only one wich seems to be 'certified' and 'tested'
tested and certified as impact protection: Lumbar EN1621-2 Level 1
ow believe me, the difference is night and day, you'd be amazed what a piece of wood of just 1cm (or 8mm) thick does to the centerstand procesUlvetanna_imp said:I have sworn off centerstands. Centerstands can bring on exactly this kind of problem. I removed mine. It is not that easy to get the bike on this centerstand compared to a lot of bikes I've previously owned. That piece of wood had little or nothing to do with, I'd wager. You should not use that stand again unless you're willing to risk further injury and pain. You can get a real nice Pit Bull rear stand, takes some technique but practically no effort. GET HELP and a spotter the first few times until you figure it out, as with anything else.Riko_imp said:While its not an injury sustained from riding or a crash, it is related to the bike.
Yesterday I was best man for a friends wedding, it was a long day
So after a night sobering out I collectd my bike, rode home, all is good, felt good myself.
Than tried to put the bike on its centre stand, as I always do when I enter the garage.
Than all of a suden Ièhad this severe pain at my lower back.
Left the bike on the side stand and I could not even stand on my two feet :-/
Lumped my way to the living room still all geared up with back pack and all...trying to hold myself together.
I suppose I have an Lumbago, from my google research.
From reading, 50% recovers completely already after 1 week and 95% after 3 months.
I hope I'm in the first category cause it hurst like heck.
At first simply walking worked out fine, but now I can't even walk without pain, and if I walk I walk like a freaking monkey.
And laying down is also a battle against pain.
The bike is actually easy to put on its center stand.
But to protect the floor my dad put a piece of wood on the ground where the bike must rest on.
And that piece, how thin it may be, makes a difference in difficulty.
Without it, I bet I wouldn't get the injury.
That piece goes out the door.
Aiaiai, I hope it'll all work out fast...never saw this cuss coming.
Or, you can use a jack stand, but same thing, the bike can still fall over. Be careful out there.
Lumbago is a archaic term and is non-specific. You could have some very problematic injuries, such as a herniated disk. You definitely need to have it examined by a doctor. Good luck!
Absolutely, don't mess around with back pain.Cormanus_imp said:Riko, that's no good. Go and see a physiotherapist as soon as you can to help you sort it out.![]()
And after investigation by the doc he asked me what I thought I had and I replied Lumbago, he concurred.
I had the least painfull one, so if its archaic, I had the least severe one, no harnia, no nerves touched etc, good old simple 'acute lumbago'
Still, I feel very handicaped.
No bike I owned required any showing or pulling; I could lift them on the center-stand merely by putting my full weight (80 kilograms give or take) straight down on the foot lever of the stand. Center-stands are, I believe, designed so that this is all that is required.Rboe_imp said:If you use a sheet of plywood so the whole bike is on it then it will be like using the center stand on the ground.
I've had easier bikes to pop up on the stand and worst (my old KZ550 Ltd was not easy, Goldwings were a piece of cake). For me, the trick is to shove the stand down with the foot while providing "some" assistance with right hand in pulling it up. You can do a good deal of the work pulling up with your hand/arm but that way leads to darkness. Pain. etc.
I suppose if you drew up a force vector diagram it would be about equal and you are essentially prying the center stand and the hand grip away from each other. You do have the advantage of your body weight on your foot though (some of us have more of an advantage than others)
Get a sheet of 1/4" tempered hardboard, 1/4-3/8" wafer board (Blandex, OSB, etc.) which are solid materials and cheaper than plywood. I would imagine thick cardboard would be suitable too - if not that long lasting.
Good luck!
thank I think I'm gonna have to look into that thread, just to be sure I did it right.redbirds_imp said:I find the center stand very easy to manage on the CB. If you are using your back or shoulders to get the bike on the stand you are doing it wrong. Upper body strength is not important. There is a thread on how to engage the CS easily.
Nice as they are, they do not replace the center-stand in it's most beneficial aspect: being able to regularly oil the chain while on a tour.Ulvetanna_imp said:Get one of these.[attachment=5551]
Nice as they are, they do not replace the center-stand in it's most beneficial aspect: being able to regularly oil the chain while on a tour. Of course, not to mention adjusting the chain or replacing the chain or tire. I have another bike for that which is pretty easy to put on the mainstand, but I used to roll the bike along in a level place and lube the chain, about a foot at a time, on bikes without it, back in the day. A little more trouble but gets the job done.rotor_imp said:Nice as they are, they do not replace the center-stand in it's most beneficial aspect: being able to regularly oil the chain while on a tour.Ulvetanna_imp said:Get one of these.[attachment=5551]