Luggage

oldgoat01_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just picked up the bike this afternoon. I gotta have luggage. Heck, I didn't even have a good way to carry the paperwork so I had to fold it up and stuff it in my pocket. I will often jump on my bike when I have to get a few things. I don't need a ton of storage but I do like to toss my jacket in a case when I'm going inside for any length of time. I'm typically not a big fan of the top box (looks) but I'm also not a fan of panniers that open from the side. I've been mostly looking at Hepco Becker now that Moto Machines shows CB specific options. Surely others have been pondering this same issue. What have you come up with?
 
Well I called the distributor in VA. as I want a set of H&B side cases. The Junior flash models. They look good on our bike and I saved a pic with them on one that I found on the ADV site.

Anyway, they said the mount would not be available for another 30 days or so.

I just checked. That was Moto Machines that told me that.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Well I called the distributor in VA. as I want a set of H&B side cases. The Junior flash models. They look good on our bike and I saved a pic with them on one that I found on the ADV site.

Anyway, they said the mount would not be available for another 30 days or so.

I just checked. That was Moto Machines that told me that.
I agree that they look nice (saw the same picture) but the last side opening cases I had were a pain in that they were hard to load when on the bike and everything dropped out of them if you opened them on the bike. Maybe I'm just a klutz. What size are you getting the 30 or 40?
 
I was thinking of the 30 as I don't want too big of a bag sticking out.

Maybe tomorrow I'll look at the dimentions and do a kinda mock-up with some cardboard to get a better idea. Supposed to be bad weather so that will be something to do.
 
oldgoat,

I'm not married to H&B though. Got any suggestions?
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
oldgoat,

I'm not married to H&B though. Got any suggestions?
Hey, I asked first! I've had H&B before and it seems to be well made. The problem is that most of the other luggage I'm familiar with is true adventure style stuff. Great capacity but would destroy the look of the bike IMHO. Then you have the cruiser options, which are also a bad aesthetic or really small stuff that just doesn't meet my needs. However, I need to come up with something quickly. I had a small box (4x6x8) I needed to drop off at the Fedex place this AM and spent 10 minutes figuring how best to secure it.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Jeez guys pick up a soft tail pack to carry things in until you get the hard luggage figured out. This pack is by Cortech. It will hold a lot and is expandable. I put a sweatshirt, book, thermos, gloves and more just in the main compartment. Would swallow anything youve mentioned you had to carry so far.



[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCF0001-3_zpsd61712b4.jpg.html]

Have you looked into Givi luggage?

I really don't want to spend $100 for something that is a short-term solution, which I'll never again use. I'd prefer to invest that money in the bike. As for Givi, I prefer a more angular look and I've always found Givi to follow the melted bar of soap design; although they may make some different things now.
 
Ferret,

Quit talking sense, thats just crazy. LOL

I did consider some inexpensive soft bags that the Honda dealer has for now. I went to a number of cycle access. stores today and didn't see anything.

I did see a bag like yours at the Suzuki dealer yesterday. I'm not in a big hurry though. I only have 15 miles on the bike and now the weather is crappy.
 
Ferret,
We sold lots of the bag you have when we sold Cortech and I have had Givi on the last 6-7 bikes so
this time I am looking at soft luggage. Looking at the First Gear Onyx stuff.
 
[/QUOTE]

I really don't want to spend $100 for something that is a short-term solution, which I'll never again use. I'd prefer to invest that money in the bike. As for Givi, I prefer a more angular look and I've always found Givi to follow the melted bar of soap design; although they may make some different things now.
[/QUOTE]


Well, you can always pick up a small cordura travel bag at Wallyworld and a ouple bungie cords for around $ 15
 
Thread starter

I really don't want to spend $100 for something that is a short-term solution, which I'll never again use. I'd prefer to invest that money in the bike. As for Givi, I prefer a more angular look and I've always found Givi to follow the melted bar of soap design; although they may make some different things now.
[/QUOTE]


Well, you can always pick up a small cordura travel bag at Wallyworld and a ouple bungie cords for around $ 15
[/QUOTE]

Funny, I drove by the mart on the way to the Fedex place and thought about doing just that on my way back. But the sun, it was a shining, I had gas in the tank and, well, by the time the thought hit me again I was a well down the road. :D
 
Funny, I drove by the mart on the way to the Fedex place and thought about doing just that on my way back. But the sun, it was a shining, I had gas in the tank and, well, by the time the thought hit me again I was a well down the road. :D
[/QUOTE]


Yea, Ive been distracted like that before :D
 
Thread starter
CA200_imp said:
[/img
here is a picture of my new First Gear Onex bag on my rack
Do you have a side shot? I'm torn between just getting the Honda rack plus top case or going the Hepco Becker junior route. I'm concerned about the weight limitation on the Honda rack. When I spoke to my dealer today he made a point of mentioning the low weight limit. He said they tend to be real conservative but still it is something to consider. Since I want something that is locked to the rack (and lockable) several pounds would be taken by the mounting bracket and the case. It's a conundrum.
 
[/img]
Oldgoat1 I won't worry about the rack , it would handle a lot.
I have had some very large top boxs on my last few bikes and would not
be afraid to put a whole case of Leine's back there.
 
Thread starter
CA200_imp said:
[/img]
Oldgoat1 I won't worry about the rack , it would handle a lot.
I have had some very large top boxs on my last few bikes and would not
be afraid to put a whole case of Leine's back there.
I'm sure it would fine; although I'm a dark high gravity kind of person so I'm not sure if it could carry the weight of a triple :D I wish I liked the look of a top case better. Anyone have any thoughts on how easily a Givi or HB are to put on and take off? I assume I would have to get their mounting bracket and attach that to the carrier.
 
The Givi Monolock boxs all come with a mount plate and you have to put the key in to remove it.
I have a Shad box on my XT250 and you can open it or remove it with out the key if you have it
unlocked. I like that but of course you can lock your keys inside also. The others I don't know.
 
oldgoat01_imp said:
CA200_imp said:
[/img]
Oldgoat1 I won't worry about the rack , it would handle a lot.
I have had some very large top boxs on my last few bikes and would not
be afraid to put a whole case of Leine's back there.
I'm sure it would fine; although I'm a dark high gravity kind of person so I'm not sure if it could carry the weight of a triple :D I wish I liked the look of a top case better. Anyone have any thoughts on how easily a Givi or HB are to put on and take off? I assume I would have to get their mounting bracket and attach that to the carrier.
The Givi cases I've had have a lock that releases the case from the mount when the key is turned one way, and unlocks the lid when the key is turned the other way. You can't take the key out without locking the case, so it's impossible to lock the keys in it. Takes all of 0.5 seconds to get the case off the bike. You're then looking at some brackets that aren't the most attractive farkles around. Givi used to make some quick-release mounts that could be popped off quickly once the cases were taken off.

Can't say about the HBs.
 
Wondering how the hepco becker side rack and panniers fits with the rear turn signals, how wide they are and also whether they block the helmet lock. Have only found one photo.

Would like to find photos showing the top case option too.
 
Back
Top