Luggage Rack Options

Yata-Garasu_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I'm looking for a metal rack that fits over the existing brake light assembly for my 2014 Standard.

The most active luggage thread here seem to be more about saddle bags, panniers, and top boxes, but I'm just looking for a simple metal rack.

Pics and/or part numbers would be greatly appreciated!
 
Honda OEM design. You can get them for like 100$ from ebay. Its lasted years and lots of trips with lots of weight.

Correction I just searched to find you a link. They've gone up about 60$, I suppose because of the increased material costs worldwide.

I got mine for 95$ 3 years ago. In black but they have thr chrome options too. You just have to grab longer bolts from hardware store. I can send you the lengths I have.
3189a4c8bcec4e6c7d66349a0a2819a0.jpg


Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
There are many copies of original Honda racks made in China. Beware that there are low-profile and tall-profile ones. I know of some low-profile racks that actually contact the taillight even before there is a load on it. I would recommend avoiding them as returns can be painful. Honda changed to the tall racks for 2014, and 2017 racks are different from earlier ones.

The tall-profile racks are roughly in line with the seat top. Hepco-Hecker and Givi are tall profile, and first-rate quality, as are the original Honda.
 
I have the Fehling and it is indeed a tiny rack. Suitable for a rolled up rain suit, or jacket and not much else, but that was the size of rack I wanted. Didn't want to take away from the look of the bike.

4985c1f764c3822e03d035ad3b7a5623.jpg


246a6dc682b8e043445cf89215fcaffc.jpg


ddc2c3f68c0f3a35c39db1b582d70b1a.jpg
 
I have one of the Endurance racks, and I think it's one of the biggest ones available. The black color helps keep it stealthy, and it flows very well with the lines of the bike, and is flush with the stock seat, and the built in grab rails would help support a rather large load compared to other racks.

9f8d8cf845630b273e884e87ac5c07ca.jpg
 
Thread starter
pekingduck_imp said:
There are many copies of original Honda racks made in China. Beware that there are low-profile and tall-profile ones. I know of some low-profile racks that actually contact the taillight even before there is a load on it. I would recommend avoiding them as returns can be painful. Honda changed to the tall racks for 2014, and 2017 racks are different from earlier ones.

The tall-profile racks are roughly in line with the seat top. Hepco-Hecker and Givi are tall profile, and first-rate quality, as are the original Honda.
That's great information, thank you.

I would prefer an OEM Honda rack, but those are out of stock nearly everywhere and $300 bucks when I have seen them. That's about twice what I think it should cost!

Thanks for the guidance!
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
There are many copies of original Honda racks made in China. Beware that there are low-profile and tall-profile ones. I know of some low-profile racks that actually contact the taillight even before there is a load on it. I would recommend avoiding them as returns can be painful. Honda changed to the tall racks for 2014, and 2017 racks are different from earlier ones.

The tall-profile racks are roughly in line with the seat top. Hepco-Hecker and Givi are tall profile, and first-rate quality, as are the original Honda.
That's great information, thank you.

I would prefer an OEM Honda rack, but those are out of stock nearly everywhere and $300 bucks when I have seen them. That's about twice what I think it should cost!

Thanks for the guidance!
That's great information, thank you.

I would prefer an OEM Honda rack, but those are out of stock nearly everywhere and $300 bucks when I have seen them. That's about twice what I think it should cost!

Thanks for the guidance! I have the low profile one thats a knockoff of the Honda one (didnt know they made 2 profiles) and it doesn't touch the housing. Its close but the load compresses the rear suspension not the rack because its mounted to the frame. The rack doesn't budge a mm. I was worried about that at first myself. (At least my rack) maybe I got lucky but it is the design you want and the price you think the OEM should have been in the first place :)
Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
mvk24_imp said:
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
There are many copies of original Honda racks made in China. Beware that there are low-profile and tall-profile ones. I know of some low-profile racks that actually contact the taillight even before there is a load on it. I would recommend avoiding them as returns can be painful. Honda changed to the tall racks for 2014, and 2017 racks are different from earlier ones.

The tall-profile racks are roughly in line with the seat top. Hepco-Hecker and Givi are tall profile, and first-rate quality, as are the original Honda.
That's great information, thank you.

I would prefer an OEM Honda rack, but those are out of stock nearly everywhere and $300 bucks when I have seen them. That's about twice what I think it should cost!

Thanks for the guidance!
That's great information, thank you.

I would prefer an OEM Honda rack, but those are out of stock nearly everywhere and $300 bucks when I have seen them. That's about twice what I think it should cost!

Thanks for the guidance! I have the low profile one thats a knockoff of the Honda one (didnt know they made 2 profiles) and it doesn't touch the housing. Its close but the load compresses the rear suspension not the rack because its mounted to the frame. The rack doesn't budge a mm. I was worried about that at first myself. (At least my rack) maybe I got lucky but it is the design you want and the price you think the OEM should have been in the first place :)
Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
That's great information, thank you.

I would prefer an OEM Honda rack, but those are out of stock nearly everywhere and $300 bucks when I have seen them. That's about twice what I think it should cost!

Thanks for the guidance! I have the low profile one thats a knockoff of the Honda one (didnt know they made 2 profiles) and it doesn't touch the housing. Its close but the load compresses the rear suspension not the rack because its mounted to the frame. The rack doesn't budge a mm. I was worried about that at first myself. (At least my rack) maybe I got lucky but it is the design you want and the price you think the OEM should have been in the first place :)
Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
That's good that it didn't touch. The problem I've seen is on 2014 models - there may be a slight difference in the frame mount point between 2013/2014, or just poor quality control of the manufacturer. Honda never made black racks, just chrome ones.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
mvk24_imp said:
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
There are many copies of original Honda racks made in China. Beware that there are low-profile and tall-profile ones. I know of some low-profile racks that actually contact the taillight even before there is a load on it. I would recommend avoiding them as returns can be painful. Honda changed to the tall racks for 2014, and 2017 racks are different from earlier ones.

The tall-profile racks are roughly in line with the seat top. Hepco-Hecker and Givi are tall profile, and first-rate quality, as are the original Honda.
That's great information, thank you.

I would prefer an OEM Honda rack, but those are out of stock nearly everywhere and $300 bucks when I have seen them. That's about twice what I think it should cost!

Thanks for the guidance!
That's great information, thank you.

I would prefer an OEM Honda rack, but those are out of stock nearly everywhere and $300 bucks when I have seen them. That's about twice what I think it should cost!

Thanks for the guidance! I have the low profile one thats a knockoff of the Honda one (didnt know they made 2 profiles) and it doesn't touch the housing. Its close but the load compresses the rear suspension not the rack because its mounted to the frame. The rack doesn't budge a mm. I was worried about that at first myself. (At least my rack) maybe I got lucky but it is the design you want and the price you think the OEM should have been in the first place :)
Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
That's great information, thank you.

I would prefer an OEM Honda rack, but those are out of stock nearly everywhere and $300 bucks when I have seen them. That's about twice what I think it should cost!

Thanks for the guidance! I have the low profile one thats a knockoff of the Honda one (didnt know they made 2 profiles) and it doesn't touch the housing. Its close but the load compresses the rear suspension not the rack because its mounted to the frame. The rack doesn't budge a mm. I was worried about that at first myself. (At least my rack) maybe I got lucky but it is the design you want and the price you think the OEM should have been in the first place :)
Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
That's good that it didn't touch. The problem I've seen is on 2014 models - there may be a slight difference in the frame mount point between 2013/2014, or just poor quality control of the manufacturer. Honda never made black racks, just chrome ones.
That's great information, thank you.

I would prefer an OEM Honda rack, but those are out of stock nearly everywhere and $300 bucks when I have seen them. That's about twice what I think it should cost!

Thanks for the guidance! I have the low profile one thats a knockoff of the Honda one (didnt know they made 2 profiles) and it doesn't touch the housing. Its close but the load compresses the rear suspension not the rack because its mounted to the frame. The rack doesn't budge a mm. I was worried about that at first myself. (At least my rack) maybe I got lucky but it is the design you want and the price you think the OEM should have been in the first place :)
Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
That's good that it didn't touch. The problem I've seen is on 2014 models - there may be a slight difference in the frame mount point between 2013/2014, or just poor quality control of the manufacturer. Honda never made black racks, just chrome ones. Yea mines a 2014. I can take a picture of the gap tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
I'm looking for a metal rack that fits over the existing brake light assembly for my 2014 Standard.

The most active luggage thread here seem to be more about saddle bags, panniers, and top boxes, but I'm just looking for a simple metal rack.

Pics and/or part numbers would be greatly appreciated!
i will sell you mine $150 shipping inc. with hardware
took it off my 14 std.
 
Thread starter
rich_imp said:
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
I'm looking for a metal rack that fits over the existing brake light assembly for my 2014 Standard.

The most active luggage thread here seem to be more about saddle bags, panniers, and top boxes, but I'm just looking for a simple metal rack.

Pics and/or part numbers would be greatly appreciated!
i will sell you mine $150 shipping inc. with hardware
took it off my 14 std.
i will sell you mine $150 shipping inc. with hardware
took it off my 14 std.
Ask and ye shall receive! I sent you a PM!
 
Anyone else have a rack they are selling. I prefer the OEM. I was trying to get away with a backpack to carry my lunch etc to work but it bothers my chemotherapy port too much. Thanks
 
Ardbegily,

Why don’t you edit your signature line to include your bike year and model. That way everyone doesn’t have to ask every time you need some info.

Just a friendly suggestion. If you don’t, that’s cool too! :)
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ardbegily,

Why don’t you edit your signature line to include your bike year and model. That way everyone doesn’t have to ask every time you need some info.

Just a friendly suggestion. If you don’t, that’s cool too! :)
Cheers Lord Popgun
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have the Fehling and it is indeed a tiny rack. Suitable for a rolled up rain suit, or jacket and not much else, but that was the size of rack I wanted. Didn't want to take away from the look of the bike.

4985c1f764c3822e03d035ad3b7a5623.jpg


246a6dc682b8e043445cf89215fcaffc.jpg


ddc2c3f68c0f3a35c39db1b582d70b1a.jpg
I have a Fehling for the same reason, and true many a bags don't fit because it it so small. Also worth to mention that it is limited to 10 pounds (or 5kg) of load, while it looks as if it could hold more.
 
Thread starter
I bought the rack that Rich offered. Turns out it is a Givi SR1118. Exactly what I wanted. Then I stumbled onto a great deal on a NOS Givi EN 300, a 30 liter top box.

I think it looks nice, a bit utilitarian, but that suits me just fine. It pops off in seconds if I don't want to use it, but it doesn't seem to affect the handling of the bike at all, so ot will likely just stay on.

I'll try and attach some pics...
 
Yata-Garasu_imp said:
I bought the rack that Rich offered. Turns out it is a Givi SR1118. Exactly what I wanted. Then I stumbled onto a great deal on a NOS Givi EN 300, a 30 liter top box.

I think it looks nice, a bit utilitarian, but that suits me just fine. It pops off in seconds if I don't want to use it, but it doesn't seem to affect the handling of the bike at all, so ot will likely just stay on.

I'll try and attach some pics...
Pics or it didn't happen!

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Back
Top