Lockhart Phillips Turn Signals-Lucas Tail Light

ChipBeck_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Gentlemen,

In an attempt to duplicate the information that was lost when the old Lucas taillight thread disappeared, I am posting here are some photos of my motorcycle with those same modifications. The Lockhart Phillips turn signals are cast aluminum and they are top quality items. Amazingly, a set of two of these lights is only about $20 from J&P Cycles. The originals are plastic although they are also outstanding quality. Most of you are aware the Japanese model CB11's have much smaller turn signals than the US models. The smaller turn signals are more appealing to my eye. These Lockhart Phillips signals pretty closely duplicate the size of the Japanese units. I started out by just putting one LP signal on and I compared it's brightness to the stock unit on the other side when activated. The bulbs must be the same or very similar because they both display the same level of brightness when the turn signals are operating.

In conjunction with the smaller Lucas taillight and without the huge stock license plate bracket the total effect is like taking a cute young girl out of a pair of cargo shorts and putting her cute butt into a thong bikini. I mean, if you like that kind of thing.

I have a ton to do today to prepare for some upcoming events so I don't have time to post a Chip Beck Spec "how to" thread yet. But I will when time permits. Most of it is pretty straightforward but there are a few potential snags.

In any event, here's what it looks like. For members who like the look of the stock rear end and the basic shape of the stock taillight and turn signals but would simply like units that are a bit smaller and less obtrusive, this may be a solution. I really like it but then again, I've always had an affinity for well constructed and scantily clad female posteriors. All the best.

Chip



[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Lucas2.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Lucas3.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Lucas6.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Lucas5.jpg.html]

[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/Lucas4.jpg.html]
 
Looking good! Thanks for the photos comparing the stock and aftermarket turn signal sizes.

Looking forward to the "Chip Beck Spec How-To". I have the SW Motech case guards sitting in the garage so that will keep me busy this week.

Mahalo,
Huladog
 
Thread starter
Buffalohead_imp said:
I'm not sure if I was looking at the right ones on the J&P site. Any chance you would have the part #?
Here ya go bro. Click on this link. I tried but couldn't find them again on the J&P site so here is another source for the same turn signals.


Amazon.com

Chip
 
Well Chip, I followed your lead again and did the Chip Beck Spec LP turn signal install. Went pretty smoothly. I do have to say though, your "ship in a bottle" analogy was a bit of an understatement...lol. But the end result is great! Thanks for the great ideas.
 
Thread starter
Olyrider_imp said:
That's quite a garage, Chip!:thumbsup:
Oly,

I have an awesome garage but it's not air conditioned and it's hotter than blazes here in AZ in the summer so I work on my bikes in my living room entry way. It's one of the benefits of being single. My sweetheart Renea (now fiancé) doesn't seem to mind either and she loves to ride. In any event, the chrome steel fenders are signature items on the CB11 in my opinion and I really like them. The stock rear tail light is so massive and it's shape reminds me of Snoopy imitating a vulture sitting on top of his dog house.



[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/2013-Honda-CB1100_0077.jpg.html]

Combined with the giant stock license plate bracket with it's three reflectors that hang down below the bottom of that fender the total effect is awful. You don't even notice the fender as it's overwhelmed with reflectors and lights and brackets and signals.

The fender itself, is quite attractive once some of the clutter is cleaned up. Honda acknowledged that they went overboard on the size of the turn signals because they made them smaller on the 2014 CB11's.

This mod takes a bit of time but aesthetically I like it a lot and after looking at it for a year now I still love it. All the best.

Chip
 
Hi Chip,

Can you post a link to the after market tail light you used? Also, is it a direct bolt on or did you have to modify the fender?

Kind Regards,
Allen

ChipBeck_imp said:
Olyrider_imp said:
That's quite a garage, Chip!:thumbsup:
Oly,

I have an awesome garage but it's not air conditioned and it's hotter than blazes here in AZ in the summer so I work on my bikes in my living room entry way. It's one of the benefits of being single. My sweetheart Renea (now fiancé) doesn't seem to mind either and she loves to ride. In any event, the chrome steel fenders are signature items on the CB11 in my opinion and I really like them. The stock rear tail light is so massive and it's shape reminds me of Snoopy imitating a vulture sitting on top of his dog house.



[url=http://s288.photobucket.com/user/chipbeck/media/2013-Honda-CB1100_0077.jpg.html]

Combined with the giant stock license plate bracket with it's three reflectors that hang down below the bottom of that fender the total effect is awful. You don't even notice the fender as it's overwhelmed with reflectors and lights and brackets and signals.

The fender itself, is quite attractive once some of the clutter is cleaned up. Honda acknowledged that they went overboard on the size of the turn signals because they made them smaller on the 2014 CB11's.

This mod takes a bit of time but aesthetically I like it a lot and after looking at it for a year now I still love it. All the best.

Chip

Oly,

I have an awesome garage but it's not air conditioned and it's hotter than blazes here in AZ in the summer so I work on my bikes in my living room entry way. It's one of the benefits of being single. My sweetheart Renea (now fiancé) doesn't seem to mind either and she loves to ride. In any event, the chrome steel fenders are signature items on the CB11 in my opinion and I really like them. The stock rear tail light is so massive and it's shape reminds me of Snoopy imitating a vulture sitting on top of his dog house. Combined with the giant stock license plate bracket with it's three reflectors that hang down below the bottom of that fender the total effect is awful. You don't even notice the fender as it's overwhelmed with reflectors and lights and brackets and signals.

The fender itself, is quite attractive once some of the clutter is cleaned up. Honda acknowledged that they went overboard on the size of the turn signals because they made them smaller on the 2014 CB11's.

This mod takes a bit of time but aesthetically I like it a lot and after looking at it for a year now I still love it. All the best.

Chip
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
Like the mods very much Chip. Is the tail light unit plastic or aluminum?
Red,

The taillight is chromed metal and the turn signals are polished aluminum.

Chip
Red,

The taillight is chromed metal and the turn signals are polished aluminum.

Chip
Thanks Chip, guess I've got to have one.
 
Thread starter
Chip I am one who wouldn't mind a LARGER tail light, and turn signals, more like the original early 70's bikes but not as large as the late 70's bikes. I also am not bent all out of shape on having the reflectors. I also like having a full size chrome rear fender, 2 full size mufflers and like my mirrors just the way they are.

Yours does look nice in a minimalist way though, and it's nice to have options for those that want the smaller light assemblies, fender eliminators, bar end mirrors, lower bars, removable reflectors and under slung or shorty exhausts

Have I ever told you how much I like that Husky? lol
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Chip I am one who wouldn't mind a LARGER tail light, and turn signals, more like the original early 70's bikes but not as large as the late 70's bikes. I also am not bent all out of shape on having the reflectors. I also like having a full size chrome rear fender, 2 full size mufflers and like my mirrors just the way they are.

Yours does look nice in a minimalist way though, and it's nice to have options for those that want the smaller light assemblies, fender eliminators, bar end mirrors, lower bars, removable reflectors and under slung or shorty exhausts

Have I ever told you how much I like that Husky? lol
Ya know Mick, when I was in high school and I bought a new 1973 Husky, I immediately put on Preston Petty fenders and changed the handlebars. Those original aluminum fenders were really easy to bend up and the stock bars were too low while standing on the pegs. At least that's what I told myself. But when I restored the 1973 Husky that sits in my living room now, I wanted it bone stock. 20 years from now if my hearts still beating and my lungs are taking air, I may just want a CB1100 in my living room and if I do it will be bone stock.

You modify one thing on your CB1100 that is the best change of all and I hope I can duplicate it in a couple years when I'm not scrambling trying to keep my business afloat. And that is adding lots of miles to the odometer on a regular basis.

I admit that all those reflectors did bend me out of shape. Taking them off was cheaper than therapy. I've had that F-150 for three weeks now and I haven't done anything but put gas in it. Three weeks with no mods and I'm developing an uncontrollable twitch in my left eye!

Cheers,

Chip
 
I'm not much of a farkler, but I made 2 changes to my Ridgeline truck, those preformed cup shaped floor mats that collect all the mud and dirt ( can't think of the mfg name right now) and stepboards so I could get into the tall thing since I'm so short.

You look at that Husky and it epitomizes early 70s motocross. Pure business, and brings back names like Torsten Hallman and Brad Lackey and Heikke Mikkola, just to name a few.
 
Yes. Thanks for the link to Amazon for the turn signals. I've been gonna do that and might as well get'em now. What, if I may ask again, is the link to get that smaller
tail light set up? Looks really good.
 
Back
Top