Live to Ride...Ride to Eat

[quote='EmptySea' Rock House Glenview, IL Build your own grilled cheese!![/QUOTE]


Looks good ,
Grilled Cheese , ham , roasted Red Bell Pepper on Rye ?
 
use2b_imp said:
[quote='EmptySea' Rock House Glenview, IL Build your own grilled cheese!!


Looks good ,
Grilled Cheese , ham , roasted Red Bell Pepper on Rye ?
[/QUOTE]

Looks good ,
Grilled Cheese , ham , roasted Red Bell Pepper on Rye ?
[/QUOTE]

and sun dried tomato
offroadfx4_imp said:
Looks good mtc! Riding along the shores of lake Michigan is on my bucket list!
Well...get up here next summer. I'll ride with you.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Found a new (to me) spot to stop after I ride along the shores of Lake Michigan.

Rock House Glenview, IL



2ab497b21fc7b62cfd758be33aca527e.jpg


Build your own grilled cheese!!

c35255d0d5a82ec385e57a29430e9dbe.jpg





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That sandwich looks really good, Empty Sea. I love eating at those little places. I bet they get some wind up in those parts in the winter, not far from the lake.
 
EmptySea asked about restaurants in my area....he mentioned a pretty well known one I had forgotten about called the Log Inn. I had been their 20 years ago, but it's like living next to any famous place, you take it for granted.

Here is the official web site: The Log Inn – Family Restaurant

I ventured there this week and the first thing I can say is make reservations...the crowd and wait time was big and long. They only take them for 13 and over on Fri and Sat....2 or more Tue-Thur.

I learned from a life long resident while waiting it used to be a dance hall.

b3bfea6f7a6c2445d25a6e8f6b0e77dc.jpg


Luckily they do have a bar if you need something to pass the time during your wait (ours was almost an hour).
The mugs were very thick, cold and frosty!

68b3e92a68db1fafe780d915697c75cc.jpg


Except for the crowd, you'd never know it was some place special. The inside is full of antique things but it was too crowded to take pictures.

a2ede99ab69a7e57edaa6002af248f0b.jpg


It's famous for it's "homestyle" meals which brings bowls of side dishes to pass around the table. Unfortunately for me, almost all were "carb" rich...mashed potatoes, gravy (both brown and white), German fries, peas, corn, etc

The chicken is very crispy and good, but still all that breading is loaded with carbs.

Appetizers included a hot cheese tray which was different, all deep fried.

It's very close to the intersection of I-64 and US-41 near a couple of truck stops for cheap gas.

Price about $15 each...one word of warning, they only take checks or CASH....fortunately they have an ATM in the waiting area.
 
With a name like that it should be an Internet Café
 
I like one off restaurants and stumbled on another today....not really on a preferred motorcycle path but worthy of a stop if making time on a 4 lane (IN 37, soon to be I-69) between Bloomington and Indy (15 miles north of Martinsville...9500 IN-144, Martinsville, IN 46151)

The web site info from Google: Google Maps

I did take a few pictures....giant portions and there is the "challenge" if you are up for 2 - 1lb burgers and 2lbs of fries in 45 minutes, it's free! We calculated about a $20 meal.

19cfc548025e6ceb269f2e6fa8d27f98.jpg


d1f462ab818cb32ddc28d0e26485379a.jpg


Lots of Marilyn Monroe pictures. My grandson (10) asked his Mom who that lady was and the conversation went like this:

Jake: Mom, who is that lady back there?
Me: Marilyn Monroe
Jake: Why is she in all of these pictures?
Me: She's an icon from these times. Many people thought and still think she is one of the most beautiful women in the world.
Jake: I wouldn't marry her.
Me: Why not?
Jake: She doesn't exactly look like a girl you would take home to your parents.

6170c03b9fd11c24042dbf9039bb796e.jpg


This giant banana split was only $5.99....and that was all ice cream....not whip cream!

e1e789c1e995a5f4a25b196ba3f5c574.jpg


"A foot" of onion rings!

bc8f5db264a9933134da5ac613b0f0b6.jpg


Milkshakes served in the stainless mixer container.

e2134f413efef8bb95899c6b38b437e7.jpg


Root beer served in heavy frosted mugs:

cd04fd78e398b399c677c007d6cd891d.jpg


I had a 1/2 lb patty melt.

af52641f42ab830b186679cd2ef38879.jpg


The bun used for this breaded tenderloin is the same bun used for the 1 lb burger challenge.

5dfb32ebf4d19bd432f0af97e40477b8.jpg


Old style vinyl chairs:

1e2183de87f969636e57c480a0fbce77.jpg


Lots of interesting things to look at:

ad600e94fe38c3ba6a86cd35e443131b.jpg


2f724af12a5920b6b0c780911dc1b3b0.jpg


03552caf82a8a8df067c8b2c5a71e9ad.jpg


Nothing really fancy to look at from the outside, but prices were very reasonable.

4388c7d0b806fc1745d68fd2248d6896.jpg


Even had a nice Pontiac sitting out side.

I could just see a line of motorcycles setting in the parking lot on a nice day!
31652595acfed61bad2c7f744083833a.jpg


The Pontiac....ran past my limit of pictures in last post
 
Wow! That looks like my kind of place. I'm the big eater in my circle of riding/flying friends. I've done the 1 lb. burger and bucket of fries a few times, but I don't think I could manage 2 of them ( doesn't mean I wouldn't try :D ).
 
I am pretty sure that Jorge and I will be lunching at Knuckle Sandwich on our way to the CB1100 rally in KY. Thanks for the tip, 4x4.
 
Took a 200 mile round trip to Clarkson, KY to K's to get some "Fried Green Tomatoes"

a0918dfccfd2c5e699b965f139de2915.jpg

cbfd7c999ce251a7716557979c1368e0.jpg


Not sure it's worth a special trip, but it's something different!

Thanks to this thread...I searched "Feasting on Asphalt" looking for something within striking distance...2-3 hours.

Feasting on Asphalt - Wikipedia

I came up with Smokey Pig BBQ in Bowling Green, KY but it was closed today. This was my alternative my wife told me about as she was picking up honey bees from a company called "Kelly Bee".

Big place, I thought it was a mom and pop business but not any more. They have a Bee festival in the fall.

It was a great ride taking the back road through the "Rough River State Park" area.

A couple of locals said the State Park restaurant was a good place, maybe next time.

Empty Sea, if you're going from Owensboro, KY to Bowling Green, KY on your trip, I might have some alternatives to the parkway.
 
My wife and I rode to the Old Country Store in Lorman Mississippi for some fried chicken and country fixins on our 750 Nighthawk on a trip down the Natchez Trace due to an episode of Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphault
 
I’ve been riding to work lately. Many of you know that I have a very short commute. To make it worth my while to get geared up, rearrange the vehicles, and ride to work, I have taken to leaving the house early to enjoy 10-20 miles of riding “on the way” to my office. I also, if opportunity presents itself, ride someplace for lunch.

Today I trekked out about 10 miles to a Chicagoland icon, Johnnie’s Beef, where I was able to eat outside within view of me CB1100. I ordered a “Combo with sweet and hot” (Italian beef and Italian sausage on a roll topped with green peppers and hot giardiniera).

After lunch, a dad and his 3-4 year old son stopped and Dad asked if he could take a pic of his son with my bike. I said “How about one ON the bike? You’ll just need to hang onto that half a hotdog he has”. Dad grabbed the hotdog and I hoisted Son onto the bike. Son would not stop giggling in elation. I should have snapped a pic myself, but seeing his joy in that moment will be etched into my mind for a long time.

If you’re in Chicago, get a beef sandwich, preferably from a place like Johnnie’s.

3a323f05c3a7bf0f039f4f52a9b49de5.jpg


8e4f16bd4440c65636a7203c2a8fcca4.jpg





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Great story indeed. You may have planted a seed my friend.

Sea what is Italian lemonade?
 
The ferret_imp said:
My wife and I rode to the Old Country Store in Lorman Mississippi for some fried chicken and country fixins on our 750 Nighthawk on a trip down the Natchez Trace due to an episode of Alton Brown's Feasting on Asphault
I stopped by there for lunch a couple of times per year for lunch as it’s not far from me on my way to or from Natchez, when working in Sw MS.
Did the owner/cook come out and sing while you were there?
 
Yes, he came out and sang to my wife. Nice man.
 
Back
Top