Live to Ride...Ride to Eat

STichill when I get back we will run down there and I will show you some great roads coming and going
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Coincidentally, Cormanus' other nickname IS "The $30 Australian"
Woah, lol! :rofl:

The ferret_imp said:
STichill when I get back we will run down there and I will show you some great roads coming and going
I'm in! :thumbsup:
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Coincidentally, Cormanus' other nickname IS "The $30 Australian"
Yep. Cheap. That's me.
 
I was not on my motorcycle for this meal, but it was directly due to this forum that I ate it.

I am currently in Brookhaven, MS on my way to New Orleans tomorrow to set up my daughter in her apartment in advance of her starting law school there next week. We wanted to stop in Memphis for some BBQ, but I was not sure which place to try. Thanks to this forum, I know someone (memphismike) from that town and he recommended Central BBQ. I had the pulled pork. My daughter had the brisket. Both were awesome. Also, Mike didn't tell us that it was right across the street from the hotel where Martin Luther King was assassinated so we took a few minutes to check that out as well. Thanks Mike for the recommendation. Thanks Guth for creating this wonderful community.

Daughter and Me


Pulled Pork :)
[url=https://emptysea.smugmug.com/Test-Gallery/n-zvpqNV/i-X5xPHjD/A]
 
PS... Memphis, while probably not tops as a riding area, certainly is an interesting motorcycle destination, especially if you're interested in history or music or BBQ. In fact, I have a preliminary plan for my riding group's 2018 trip that I'm currently calling "The American Music Heritage Ride" which will include a stop here, then south to Clarksdake, MS and eventually returning to Chicago via Nashville. The cool part might be the food more than the music--BBQ, Soul, Cajun,Country. Anyhow, go to Memphis. Have some BBQ.
 
Sounds a good idea. Pity it's so far away.
 
You need to get a green card and move here Cormanus. Think of all the good food and riding and CB forum members you could ride with. Heck you're retired, your daughter lives in London. Planes go from here to London too ya know.
 
Daughter and three sons in Aus would be mightily relieved to see the back of me!
 
My... 5 kids huh? Long winters there?
 
No. It's a second marriage. I have 3 boys; my wife has two daughters. One's in England, the other's in Australia. What do you reckon on my chances of a Green Card and a continuing marriage?
 
lol Ausie version of the Brady Bunch.... slim, I'd talk to Donald for you, but he's kinda preoccupied right now with the nutcase with the nukes, and the bad haircut.

Man two moderators have flat torn UP, Stichills thread. We'd better find some food to talk about.

I did ride over to Popeye's chicken today for some spicy Louisiana style fried chicken. I love that stuff. (Never had Louisianna fried chicken..closest I've had was from the Old Country Store in Lorman, Misissippi. It was good, but not spicy)

The Old Country Store Restaurant You Tube Video - Lorman, Mississippi - NatchezTraceTravel.com

BE SURE TO WATCH THE VIDEO IN THE ABOVE LINK

BTW Mr D serenaded my wife at the table. lol

recommended on the TV show Feasting On Asphalt with Alton Brown where they rode BMWs around the country eating good food (sounds a lot like Stichill eh?)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0818152/
 
Nutcase. Nukes. Bad haircut. Which of two obvious candidates do you have in mind?

Food ... I'm on the road in a car and just had an acceptable beef burger in a totally awful bun.
 
Thread starter
Great food pics and anecdotes, Mike! :thumbsup:

Memphis is quite the place. Beale Street has been converted from the hard-scrabble dive zone it surely once was into a well-scrubbed and safely policed nostalgia treat for music and blues history aficionados. While on a business trip to Memphis, a colleague and I were sent to Marlowe's by our hotel concierge. They came and picked us up in a pink Cadillac with leopard print upholstery. We had the BEST hot wings I can ever remember...absolutely huge and not cut apart into tips and little drumsticks.

Oh and then there's [url=http://gusfriedchicken.com]this in Memphis. I'm excited to hear that they're expanding to Lexington, Kentucky and Cincinnati, Ohio!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Nutcase. Nukes. Bad haircut. Which of two obvious candidates do you have in mind?

Food ... I'm on the road in a car and just had an acceptable beef burger in a totally awful bun.
:D:thumbsup:
 
Ok to make up for my thread drift. I'll post about a little place we went to for lunch today about 50 or so miles up river from Cincinnati in a little town called Ripley, Ohio. A little History... Ripley is on the Ohio river and was the terminus for the Underground Railroad channeling run away slaves from the south where slavery was legal to the north where it wasn't. The Ohio River was the border. There was a preacher in Ripley by the name of John Rankin who was an abolishionist (anti-slavery) and it was from his home high on a hill in Ripley that he channeled slaves north. We stopped at the home on the way to the restaurant

John Rankin's's hillside home in Ripley, Ohio

86a7efd7fdd0f7027c93b42218274950.jpg


He kept a light burning in the window every night (candle or coal oil lamp I suppose) which made it easy to locate at night as the slaves made their way across the river to freedom. He had a great view of the river from his house and could watch for people coming to look for their slaves. BTW slavery was not legal in Ohio, but helping a runaway salve was illegal.

Views from the house.. you are standing in Ohio. Looking directly across the river is Kentucky. Directly below is the town of Ripley.

to the west, (left) upriver is West Virginia

a2ec666456ffdf8fb40a4c5c0bd949c3.jpg


to the east (right) down river is Indiana

9fb4868afd429d85a85844989fb8d33a.jpg


Anyhow after visiting this historical place my wife and I rode down into town to a little restaurant called Rockin' Robin's Soda Shop, a 50's style diner with great food and great desserts and good tunes from the 50's and 60's (good tunes if you are old enough to remember them... I am). I have eaten here many times

8f6de3338f8ab0767387d7ab1d2d91d9.jpg


This is the view from our table. Watching the river flow by while a barge makes it's way down river. Our two-up bike, the ST sits out front

2903be61152ea2a78a2458a1978195ab.jpg


Rather than a burger we opted for dessert. My brother ate here last week and had sent me a text message with a picture of his choice, so we ordered the same thing, only with 2 spoons.

a5dad18da401ab35c9272ed2082de6ae.jpg


My wife gave up part way thru, but I soldiered on until the end. Heavens' to Betsy it was good.

79092d8e7fdd6ebe27282f886cf8fcbf.jpg


Anyhow we stumbled out of there and climbed onto the bike in an ice cream coma and headed down river for home.

Rt 52, River Road, the Ohio River Scenic Highway, is a popular spot for motorcycles coming out of Cinti. Many of them headed for Rockin' Robin's. On a nice weekend you might find 50 bikes there (mostly Harleys). I thought of 4 Paws when I spotted this BMW with a hack coming our way (wonder where they were headed lol)

b0be10ccd2b4bfcfcf358a470d921f6d.jpg


Come to think of it, I believe 4Paws is just upriver a piece in Marietta picking up his hack today.

anyhow, got home a bit ago after 99 great miles riding with my favorite riding/adventure partner (of 45 years come November) and now sitting here wishing I hadn't eaten so much lol

Hope this makes up for the thread drift Stichill.
 
Thread starter
And then some, ferret! Really enjoyed the historical notes and scenic views. That '50s diner looks terrific! I will have to ride over soon and check it out! :thumbsup: :biker:
 
Oh here's one of their sandwiches. I think this is the Big Bopper Burger

63502b7b30269de9c7da2d84d714ddff.jpg
 
That's a serious burger. As for the dessert ... Ferret, I'm impressed not only that you could eat it all, but that you could walk away from the table.
 
Back
Top