baxtercat_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
I've ridden a 'newer' cb1100 ex..... they aren't 2x the bike the 14's are, sorry, i really fail to see it. not worth twice the money I paid for mine new last year to me. I really never got the price point on these from day 1. But to each their own, great bikes for sure.
ok, M, but this isn't how I do my math. I could buy a used Corolla for $5000 or a new Porsche 911 for $110,000. Is the Porsche 22x the car the Toyota is? Does is go 22x faster, or hold 22x more passengers, or is the suspension 22x better? no, of course not. But fans will say it is in some ways a better car (though in other ways, like the cost of repairs, a worse car) and if the ways it is better are meaningful enough to someone and they can afford them, that is the only calculation that matters. For those that might feel the 17 is, let's say, 15% better in appearance and function than an 14, and they have the choice, and they don't mind the going rate for that 15% upgrade, then it might be money well spent for them. As might Ohlins or a 4-into-4 or mag wheels or Whitehouse kit, as improvements to their 14. And if they prefer the 14, then they get the bike they desire most AND save money in the process. Yes, to each his own: it's only ever "worth it" if it's worth it to you.
that is a poor comparison. comparing a corolla to a porsche ? 2 completely different animals. a commuter VS a high end sports car.
we are talking about a bike that is 90% exactly the same across the 5 years we are discussing.
when these came out in the states i had an 09 ducati sport classic biposto which was bought new. And yes, it actually went UP in value the longer i owned it, a rare occurrence. It's not that i won't spend the money, or have a problem affording it, please don't make that assumption. Its value per dollar. that's my point. I was willing to spend 8-8500 for the cb, i paid 6400 for one, from a dealer, with zero miles. I could have spent 12.9 for one with zero miles that was a 17, 18 etc... . the tank and abs weren't worth the extra double cost to me. (not 15%, 100% more)
On the appearance note, i've had late SOHC fs and a 75 spoke model f. (and a 75 400ss to boot). I think the 'new' CB1100 actually is a homologation of ALL of these, + the tank cues are def DOHC F model harkening. Tail is similar to the 400SS, but the slightly smaller light is from the early 450 (black bombers). They definitely did not take cues from just one particular model.
3rd bike from right: my old 75 cb400f