Like New 2014s for Half the Price of a New 2017 EX

foxinsuit_imp said:
WOW!

here I am digging the dirt about CB, W800, W650, RE interceptor and you just decide to pull the trigger just like that.

I know the saying "if you're looking for the issues - you'll never buy any motorcycle"

I was leaning to skipping the 2014-2016 models entirely and wait for that 2017 price drop because of 2 things:
1. fuel tank's better design on 2017 (personal opinion).
2. I got cold feet about earlier models due to IDLE issue

How does this not concern you?
I would like to hear some arguments to help adjust my attitude.
What are the chances of CB getting that idle issue?
Maybe I'm just paranoid
It's impossible to say with any certainty...but probably the chance is very small. Well, let's play with the numbers a bit. Apparently, 32 cb1100 owners of 2013 and 2014 models have reported having a high / low idle issue on this forum. Currently, there are 4,637 members on this forum. Of course, not all are 2013 and 2014 owners. But let's say that 3,500 of them are--I have no idea if that's true or not, but let's just start there. Well, 350 would be 10%, so 35 would be 1%...so it would be less than 1%; in fact, it would be at .91 of 1%.

Let's say there are really only 2500 owners of 2013/14 models: now there is a 1.28% chance. But what if there are 4500 owners? You're looking at .7 of 1%.

Using all three possibilities (2500, 3500, 4500 owners), you could say that you have a 0.7 to a 1.28% of developing the high / low idle issue problem.

The above is probably very bad use of statistics with numerous variables not controlled for and insufficient reporting of bikes affected vs. total numbers of bikes out there.

Still, it would appear that the chance is small

Having had this problem, the chance just doesn't feel small.

foxinsuit_imp said:
WOW!

here I am digging the dirt about CB, W800, W650, RE interceptor and you just decide to pull the trigger just like that.

I know the saying "if you're looking for the issues - you'll never buy any motorcycle"

I was leaning to skipping the 2014-2016 models entirely and wait for that 2017 price drop because of 2 things:
1. fuel tank's better design on 2017 (personal opinion).
2. I got cold feet about earlier models due to IDLE issue

How does this not concern you?
I would like to hear some arguments to help adjust my attitude.
What are the chances of CB getting that idle issue?
Maybe I'm just paranoid
No, you're just trying to protect yourself.
 
I'm really intrigued that some riders are reporting pulsating ABS sensations in the lever under normal operating conditions. I don't doubt the reports but what are the implications? ABS should never be perceptible during normal riding.
 
Riding a '14 for five years, I have not experienced an "idle issue" yet, nor pulsating ABS while riding - unless there was indeed wheel trouble while stopping on gravel.

Hopefully this trend will continue forever. Really a sweet bike.
 
Assuming you were given the opportunity to test ride an available-for-sale '13 or '14, you'd have the ability to assess the idle situation before buying the bike.
 
Mine is 2013 model, I have experienced a problem with low idle. No error code from ECM memory, so speaking with Honda mechanic, I discovered that is a problem that occurs also with the new Honda Africa Twin and also with GS 1200 bmw, if when you are gearing down (shifting to lower gears - sorry for my english), give an hit of gas. The ECM can read a wrong message related too much gasoline inside cilynders or unburned gas, so it reduce the quantity of gas. From then, changing way to shift down, I have no more experienced that problem. Other suggestion, always from Honda mechanic, check the battery, if the voltage is low, old battery or if you don't use a battery maintainer, it can generate problems with ECM.
I hope it can help you.


Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk
 
Currently riding a '13 and the '14. No issues (other than the wife rolling her eyes :D ). I threaten to get the '17 from time to time. But it's a hollow threat.



For now.
ABS. if the Griso had it I'm pretty sure it would not have crashed on me. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'd like to have it.

Including an IMU to help with braking in corners.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Currently riding a '13 and the '14. No issues (other than the wife rolling her eyes :D ). I threaten to get the '17 from time to time. But it's a hollow threat.



For now.
ABS. if the Griso had it I'm pretty sure it would not have crashed on me. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'd like to have it.

Including an IMU to help with braking in corners.
I understand your torment between the '14 CB and the respective Griso. However, no regrets.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Currently riding a '13 and the '14. No issues (other than the wife rolling her eyes :D ). I threaten to get the '17 from time to time. But it's a hollow threat.



For now.
ABS. if the Griso had it I'm pretty sure it would not have crashed on me. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'd like to have it.

Including an IMU to help with braking in corners.
Just curious why would you buy two same bikes ? 2013 and 2014 are essentially the same thing except 6 speed gearbox.
 
Long story short; a forum member here offered up a really good deal on a bike with a Junking Certificate. Which is a very good reason to sell a bike cheap - I found out. Arizona would not touch it so I ended up (after four trips to California and 3 inspections and about $300 in parts) with a clean AZ title, after California issued me a clean title.

A clean title would have meant something in the days before CarFax and national computerized records. Today, not so much. But it's a great deal if you intend on keeping the bike and not flipping it.

So a complete accident; I end up with two CB's.

Which is cool if you don't want to check the valves. Park the bike and ride the other one! :excited:
 
ahm12_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Currently riding a '13 and the '14. No issues (other than the wife rolling her eyes :D ). I threaten to get the '17 from time to time. But it's a hollow threat.



For now.
ABS. if the Griso had it I'm pretty sure it would not have crashed on me. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'd like to have it.

Including an IMU to help with braking in corners.
Just curious why would you buy two same bikes ? 2013 and 2014 are essentially the same thing except 6 speed gearbox.
We have at least 1 forum member (Houtman) who has a 2013, a 2014 and a 2017.
 
The ferret_imp said:
ahm12_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
Currently riding a '13 and the '14. No issues (other than the wife rolling her eyes :D ). I threaten to get the '17 from time to time. But it's a hollow threat.



For now.
ABS. if the Griso had it I'm pretty sure it would not have crashed on me. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'd like to have it.

Including an IMU to help with braking in corners.
Just curious why would you buy two same bikes ? 2013 and 2014 are essentially the same thing except 6 speed gearbox.
We have at least 1 forum member (Houtman) who has a 2013, a 2014 and a 2017.
We have at least 1 forum member (Houtman) who has a 2013, a 2014 and a 2017.
Does he not realize it's 2019?!?!?
 
It depends on how close you want to be to the original 1970s CBs.. In my case I wanted close as possible to the lineage, and that means the 2017. When it was released it was coming to the U.S. I put a deposit on one that day.

The 4 into 1 exhaust doesn't work for me, the badge on the gas tank instead of the word HONDA, spoke wheels, LED lights, Showa suspension, and the beautiful metal flake paint job on a seamless tank. My father's 1974 CB 750K4 had the same metal flake sunburst paint job. The 2 chrome exhausts rising in out the back talk to me. They glisten in the sun like chrome lights.

My CB speaks to me, like no bike since my 1973 CB350 F. It is commented on everywhere I park it. A guy once chased me down once to see it up close. At traffic lights, old baby boomers like me roll windows down to make a comment.

I have 3 sport touring bikes, 2 state of the art of that genre ( 2014 FJR, 2018 BMW RT) but the bike I ride the most is the CB. If I'm just gonna go ride to be in the wind for couple hours, I take the CB. It is the most fun to ride, and I love being starred at.

I understand a 2014 is a good buy, and if its about the money, then the way to go. But if you want to ride a classic bike with all the modern a accouterments then the 2017 is the way to go, and I'll pay the money. My motorcycle choices have never been about practical, but what I like lol.
 
m in sc_imp said:
I've ridden a 'newer' cb1100 ex..... they aren't 2x the bike the 14's are, sorry, i really fail to see it. not worth twice the money I paid for mine new last year to me. I really never got the price point on these from day 1. But to each their own, great bikes for sure.
I agree. I also like the looks of the 14 better as well. I'm not a big fan of the seamless tank. I know it's supposed to be all that and a bag of chips but it doesn't do it for me. The extra capacity doesn't mean much to me either. I live in the northeast, you can't swing a cat around here without hitting a gas station. But as m in sc said, to each their own.
 
If I were buying a new one, I'd pick a 17 over a 14 std on looks. Not a fan of the black/dark look with black motor or 4 into 1 with the staining header pipe, although from a performance stand point I don't see any advantage of the 17 over the 14 except the 17 has ABS does it not?
 
m in sc_imp said:
the f model cbs had 4 into ones from the factory in the 70's.. and the 78s were 'black motor' bikes as well. Im assuming everyone else seems to like the 'k' style?

i dunno, i like the browning head-pipe. means i ride it. you can clean it off, used to do it on my sv's stainless header... but again, we each get out of it what we like i suppose.
The '77 and '78 F had a black engine, mildly-upswept 4 into 1, dual front disks, and silver Comstar wheels, not spokes. The '75 and '76 F had a silver engine, lower-slung 4 into 1, single front disk, and spokes.
 
given the two features you mentioned (blacked out engine and 4-1 exhaust), plus the more "angular" tank and not-so-flat seat, the 2014 model certainly was meant to evoke more of an "F" style than the "K' style. the only caveat being that they gave it a very "K" style rear fender. it's ok though. that was easily fixed :-p.

I think they realized that the customer base that was buying the bike was more focused on the mid-to-early 70's vibe, and so the '17 came out with a much more "K" style set of looks. market research has an effect.

I think it's extra interesting that they're bringing back the alternate '13/'14 look in the 2019 model year as a cheaper option.
 
Agreed. I owned a '78 CB750F2 from new. My '14 DLX feels, rides, handles, and sounds so similar to that 750. Good point about the "K" rear fender.
 
Back
Top